Around the League 14: PLAY GLORIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Twitter saying Ferland at $3.5 million x 4 years. That would be a pretty great deal for him. Low salary eliminates a lot of injury risk. A long way from the sensationalized Evander Kane ask.

I think it's a fair deal. With his injury concerns/style of play, 4 years is a bit of a risk, but $3.5M lessens that risk. I think he probably could have gotten a better AAV on a 1-2 year deal, but this gives him some security, which is nice.

Reactions: DaveG

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
so, do you think the Canes offered more than $3.5M/4 years at any point during negotiations?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Definitely. Early season I'm thinking something in the 5m x 4 or 5 range was offered. Just speculation on the dollars though.
Man, that would have looked pretty bad right about now. Especially after how the season played out.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Not a terrible contract unless he's just permanently injured like the end of last season, and worse, trying and failing to play through it. I wouldn't have been horrified by that contract for us, but I'd rather allocate that amount of money elsewhere.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm wondering what's going on with Dzingle right now. Had a rough playoff but was productive otherwise. A bit tin foil hat for me but I'm wondering if he's on the back burner to sign here unless Williams returns or he gets a long term deal elsewhere.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Ferland was a good solider, sucks he started losing his productivity down the stretch but his game takes a toll on the body. I'm just glad the FO didn't re-sign him back in January when it looked like it was going to become a possibility.

Best of luck to him in Vancouver though, except against our team.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm wondering what's going on with Dzingle right now. Had a rough playoff but was productive otherwise. A bit tin foil hat for me but I'm wondering if he's on the back burner to sign here unless Williams returns or he gets a long term deal elsewhere.

I think he's a 35-40pt guy that's asking to get paid like he's more after a career year. And teams are hesitant.

Similar to Ferland without the injury concern, frankly.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Hopefully. Canes still need to add a top-6 forward we have all talked about. My minimum expectations for the offseason was Haula + Eakin and they are still only halfway there to that. Just feels like the Canes did more because they have $6 million in Marleau's dead cap space on the books.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think he's a 35-40pt guy that's asking to get paid like he's more after a career year. And teams are hesitant.

Similar to Ferland without the injury concern, frankly.
Yeah I still think he ends up in Montreal after they struck out on Duchene, Aho, and Lee, I just think we go after him if we find out Williams is a no go, but I'd lean about 95% toward thinking Justin comes back

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hopefully. Canes still need to add a top-6 forward we have all talked about. My minimum expectations for the offseason was Haula + Eakin and they are still only halfway there to that. Just feels like the Canes did more because they have $6 million in Marleau's dead cap space on the books.

But that is indeed something. And it's a good way to spend cap hit without committing to bad money long-term.

I guarantee you the Habs wish they made that trade with Toronto right now instead of overpaying Dzingel as Dave alluded to above.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
But that is indeed something. And it's a good way to spend cap hit without committing to bad money long-term.

I guarantee you the Habs wish they made that trade with Toronto right now...

A 1st is certainly valuable. It just doesn't add anything to the roster next year. Unless they dangle it for a Hall-type rental around the deadline.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
A 1st is certainly valuable. It just doesn't add anything to the roster next year. Unless they dangle it for a Hall-type rental around the deadline.

It’s an asset. It’s basically just currency. It gives us many options.

My point is that if given the choice of a) not using the cap space, b) using it to overpay free agents because we can (this has long term implications), or c) getting a first round pick, I’ll take c every time.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
But wrt Ferland, I would’ve done that deal. I think feelings were hurt somewhere along the negotiating trail. There’s no reason for us not to have done that otherwise IMO, unless we really don’t like the player.

Going 0-5 or whatever in the playoffs in games he finished was not exactly a ringing endorsement for needing him.

Reactions: AD Skinner

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
In other ex-Canes news, Matt Cullen announced his retirement, meaning the only guys still active from that roster are Staal, Ladd, Williams, and Ward (am I forgetting anybody?)

Ward may not even get an NHL contract this year. Wonder what happens with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad