Around the League 14: PLAY GLORIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Dahlin, Jokiharju, McCabe, Montour, Pilut, Miller, Scandella, Bogosian. Sabres collect every D in the league. I think they are still bottom 5 team in the league though.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
That will be interesting. It was one of those rumored parties to be interested in him even throughout the season. I would almost think it would have to be a one year prove it deal given they don't have a ton of cap space and need to re-sign Boeser.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Give me the lowdown on Ferland - he played with TT/Aho right? Did he just milk off them?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ferland's a good player with a physical edge, but he just gets injured...a lot. That's why the Canes' management didn't want to give out the contract length that he wanted.

He really hasn't missed that many games the last four seasons - I think that is being a little overblown. I think our definitions of "a lot" may defer - we've dealt with Chris Tanev and Alex Edler, now those are examples of players that get hurt a lot. However, Ferland is definitely going to breakdown as he gets older, so four year term looks dumb.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
He really hasn't missed that many games the last four seasons - I think that is being a little overblown. I think our definitions of "a lot" may defer - we've dealt with Chris Tanev and Alex Edler, now those are examples of players that get hurt a lot. However, Ferland is definitely going to breakdown as he gets older, so four year term looks dumb.
he tried to play through some injuries this past season, which led to him leaving several games early. so games played is a bit misleading for 18/19.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm more curious about his play. Were Aho/TT dragging him around or was he actually contributing? He played 35% of his ES icetime with TT/Aho, so I'm wondering if the majority of his points came with them before playing lower in the lineup.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Good complimentary player that has a bit of skill, so if he plays with skilled guys, he can find the back of the net and should be good for 20 (ish) goals, 40+ points.
Won't hurt you in a non-scoring role as he's decent defensively, but won't drive offense.
Not afraid to be a net front presence.
Plays with a physical edge and not afraid to throw them down.
Was injured a lot, and even though didn't miss a ton of games, was nursing something which caused him to leave games early and miss a lot of the playoffs.

Going to miss his physical edge. If he could have stayed in the line-up, the Canes probably would have more interest in re-signing him.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I'm more curious about his play. Were Aho/TT dragging him around or was he actually contributing? He played 35% of his ES icetime with TT/Aho, so I'm wondering if the majority of his points came with them before playing lower in the lineup.
he was far more productive with Aho and Teravainen than without but 1) that’s not exactly surprising and 2) the timeline corresponded with his injuries. outstanding shot, very good and heady passer, elite physical presence. availability is by far the biggest concern, particularly given how he plays. 40+ points is very achievable if he can play 70+ games.

Reactions: PG Canuck

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Dahlin, Jokiharju, McCabe, Montour, Pilut, Miller, Scandella, Bogosian. Sabres collect every D in the league. I think they are still bottom 5 team in the league though.
They and Vancouver seem to have some opposite problems one has tons of D the other has tons of F... Result.. Hopefully 2 teams not making it to the playoffs.!.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I mean if he plays with Pettersson/Boeser it'll be the same situation he had with you guys. Just health is the biggest thing it seems, and with him already having issues at 27, I don't see how it gets better throughout the 4 year term.

Sigh...Jim Benning folks.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He definitely was a contributor the first half of the season. Didn't create a ton on his own but was capable in that regard. Figure he won't be with EP but if you have a middle 6 playmaker that needs a finisher and someone to add some edge to a line he's a good option.

If he would have been willing to take a 1 or 2 year deal I think he'd have stayed here.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Ferland produced well on a line with Aho + Teravainen. Ferland then produced points at an even higher rate on the 2nd line with Staal + Teravainen before he ran into injury trouble. He's a complimentary winger so he needs someone to make the plays. But Ferland himself causes a lot of havoc and is a plus finisher.

I do think it is interesting that the teams that had the most interest in Ferland were the Western Canadian teams who watched him in Calgary for a few years. I'd guess Benning has had Ferland on his mind for a while.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Twitter saying Ferland at $3.5 million x 4 years. That would be a pretty great deal for him. Low salary eliminates a lot of injury risk. A long way from the sensationalized Evander Kane ask.

Yeah, I agree with that, actually. The question is the term, though. Will he hold up in 4 years? That's what both the Canes and Avs were afraid of.

Reactions: Tryamw

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Give me the lowdown on Ferland - he played with TT/Aho right? Did he just milk off them?

Micheal Ferland would be a Top 20 player in the NHL if he was able to play his game and stay healthy. Unfortunately, he's really only able to do one of those two things at a time. So, if he's playing his game, he will get hurt. And if he's not hurt, he's not playing his game.

I think he can fit anywhere in a top nine and be fine, but there's just no escaping the above Catch-22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad