Around the League 14: PLAY GLORIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The AGMs I can understand, but firing the analytics guy doesn't seem like a smart move.

Not all analytics guys are good at what they do though. If they are getting rid of analytics all together, then I agree with you. If they are replacing one guy with a different analytics guy, then I can understand it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not all analytics guys are good at what they do though. If they are getting rid of analytics all together, then I agree with you. If they are replacing one guy with a different analytics guy, then I can understand it.

Andrew Thomas was the founder of War on Ice. I can’t pretend to know what info he’s given the Wild, or whether he was successful at his job, but his reputation and his work got him (and the other guys on War on Ice) hired in the first place, so there must have been something there.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Andrew Thomas was the founder of War on Ice. I can’t pretend to know what info he’s given the Wild, or whether he was successful at his job, but his reputation and his work got him (and the other guys on War on Ice) hired in the first place, so there must have been something there.

I get that, but running a website and running the analytics for a team aren't the same. I worked in technology for many years and knew some brilliant statisticians who couldn't turn analysis into meaningful actions. Maybe Fenton has a different analytics guy in mind that he likes better and thinks he can work with better. Maybe Thomas was a 1 man show and the team wanted a more collaborative approach. Maybe he and Fenton had personalities that were oil and water. Maybe he's a back-stabber.

Of course I'm exaggerating some for effect, but my point is that without knowing why they fired a guy and what they will do going forward, it's hard to say pass judgement on it.

Anyhow, I don't find a new GM making changes after a year with guys that were there before he took the job that unusual. He probably used his 1st year as a way to gauge which guys made sense to keep.

Edit: now, if Fenton just doesn’t believe in the benefit of Analytics so he’s doing away with it, that would be troublesome for me.

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
If I had to choose between Fenton and the analytics group as far as credibility, I'm going with AC Thomas and his team. I'm pretty sure the analytics group didn't sign off on Niederreiter-for-Rask. As a matter of fact, that could have been a breaking point between Thomas and Fenton. I wonder if Thomas warned it was a bad move and was ignored, leading to friction between the two -- or maybe just a lot of muttered "toldja's" during meetings.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If I had to choose between Fenton and the analytics group as far as credibility, I'm going with AC Thomas and his team. I'm pretty sure the analytics group didn't sign off on Niederreiter-for-Rask. As a matter of fact, that could have been a breaking point between Thomas and Fenton. I wonder if Thomas warned it was a bad move and was ignored, leading to friction between the two -- or maybe just a lot of muttered "toldja's" during meetings.

That very well could be. And like I said, if it's a case of Fenton doesn't believe in analytics and is not investing in them, then it would be troubling.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I get that, but running a website and running the analytics for a team aren't the same. I worked in technology for many years and knew some brilliant statisticians who couldn't turn analysis into meaningful actions. Maybe Fenton has a different analytics guy in mind that he likes better and thinks he can work with better. Maybe Thomas was a 1 man show and the team wanted a more collaborative approach. Maybe he and Fenton had personalities that were oil and water. Maybe he's a back-stabber.

Of course I'm exaggerating some for effect, but my point is that without knowing why they fired a guy and what they will do going forward, it's hard to say pass judgement on it.

Anyhow, I don't find a new GM making changes after a year with guys that were there before he took the job that unusual. He probably used his 1st year as a way to gauge which guys made sense to keep.

Edit: now, if Fenton just doesn’t believe in the benefit of Analytics so he’s doing away with it, that would be troublesome for me.

You are absolutely correct. Analytics and stats are two different things. You need to have analysis through the lens of experience.

For instance, I had a piece of software in Iraq that would allow me to do pattern analysis on all the IEDs that went off. Some analysts were all like "Hey, most of them go off around 0800 in the mornings" and I was all like "Yeah because 0800 is when the engineer route clearance patrols all start rolling and report hitting them, that doesnt mean they are planting them all right before 0800, you'd still have hit it at 0400."

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Taylor Hall laid down the gauntlet in NJ.

"There is only so much patience you can have at this age," the 27-year-old said. "The League is getting younger and Father Time is undefeated. You only have so many years left, so for me to be done halfway with my career and to only have played five playoffs games is disappointing. You want to try to make up for that. It's a huge part of it, but you want to be cognizant of the process and not go chasing after the wrong situation. That's stuff I have to think about and I really haven't done that, so we'll see what happens. It's hard but I want to win for sure."

"We have the culture and character in our locker room but at this point in time, in my opinion, we lack some talent in positions," Hall said. "Whether it's the players on our team getting better and improving, or from the outside. Certainly, when you finish 29th, you're lacking some skill and lacking some talent. The great part is we have a culture in our locker room that's fun to be around and conducive to success and hard-working people. Now it's about filling those gaps where we might have lacked this season.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Not that you're saying he is, but he's not wrong. They only made it last year with several players overachieving and Hall going into God mode. They don't appear to have a sure fire answer in goal (though Blackwood was very promising), their defense needs a ton of work, and there are still questions up front with guys that have regressed or never took a step forward.

I'm not sure if they really have the assets to go all in to appease Hall at this point either. They need those guys they have to take the next step or recover from their bad seasons, they need luck in the lottery, and they need to figure out a lot in goal and on D. It'll be a difficult offseason to pull off to convince him it's worth staying. If I were him I'd probably just look for a "sure thing" either via trade or just waiting it out for free agency. At least for their sake, it sounds like he's open to seeing if they can put a good team in place.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's refreshing to read/hear a player not bullshit. In a lot of cases, it's not underperformance that holds a team back. It's the lack of talent that does it. Coaching, leadership, team chemistry, etc. means only so much. Where would the Canes have been this season if the Finns had combined for 130 points instead of 159?

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Good for Hall, he deserves to be in the playoffs. If you’re a top 20 player in the league, you deserve to ask for a competitive roster, or to look for a way out. It would’ve been nice to hear E Staal put major pressure on Rutherford/Karmanos all of those years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad