Around the League 14: PLAY GLORIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I would assume 27 year old Hall is going to signwith whoever gives him the most money

Maybe. I don't know Hall's personality so you might be right that he goes to the highest bidder, but if NJ fails to make the playoffs again next year, he might want to go to a contender, even if it's not the highest bidder. He's already made close to $40M in his career.

I'm not suggesting that he'll take a huge pay cut to go to a contender, just that going to a winner might come into play for him.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Maybe. I don't know Hall's personality so you might be right that he goes to the highest bidder, but if NJ fails to make the playoffs again next year, he might want to go to a contender, even if it's not the highest bidder. He's already made close to $40M in his career.

I'm not suggesting that he'll take a huge pay cut to go to a contender, just that going to a winner might come into play for him.

He’s certainly saying things that make it sound like winning is very important to him.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Minus taxes, agents' percentages etc and other overhead. It's easy for us to take $10M paycuts on an internet forum for him, but it's probably less easy for him, knowing that he's signing for the big one now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Minus taxes, agents' percentages etc and other overhead. It's easy for us to take $10M paycuts on an internet forum for him, but it's probably less easy for him, knowing that he's signing for the big one now.

True, but I never suggested it was easy or that he was going to take a "big pay cut" (in fact, I said he wouldn't). I simply said, that based on what he just stated publicly, that going to a contender might be a consideration as opposed to just highest bidder". For instance, if NJ fails again and they offer him $10M over 7 years, but a contender offers him $9.5M over 7 years, that extra $.5M/year (particularly when you account for agents fees and taxes) might not be enough to make him stay if he thinks the future isn't good enough in NJ.

If a team is offering him $10M more than anyone else, then sure, he's probably not turning that down.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The Devils could use a few years of maturation considering that their core next year will just be a bunch of kids. Considering that, I think that Hall will be traded Karlsson-style to some team in the West. Colorado comes to mind, because their core group is close to Hall's age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsustainable

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The Devils could use a few years of maturation considering that their core next year will just be a bunch of kids. Considering that, I think that Hall will be traded Karlsson-style to some team in the West. Colorado comes to mind, because their core group is close to Hall's age.

They should trade him to Edmonton. I hear they have a tough time finding a wing to play with McDavid.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
True, but I never suggested it was easy or that he was going to take a "big pay cut" (in fact, I said he wouldn't). I simply said, that based on what he just stated publicly, that going to a contender might be a consideration as opposed to just highest bidder". For instance, if NJ fails again and they offer him $10M over 7 years, but a contender offers him $9.5M over 7 years, that extra $.5M/year (particularly when you account for agents fees and taxes) might not be enough to make him stay if he thinks the future isn't good enough in NJ.

If a team is offering him $10M more than anyone else, then sure, he's probably not turning that down.

All true, and your speculative numbers I can sign.

My intended onus when starting the reply was that he isn't in reality loaded with the ~$40M that he nominally has earned, but the point got lost in the process.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I wouldn't assume that 27 years old Hall is making his essential career choices based on some unproven kiddo being in NJ.

That's fair.

NJ will be a better team next year - a healthy Hall back in the lineup, adding Hughes to their C depth, getting Schneider looking like some semblance of an NHL goalie again... Is that enough for Hall to want to stay? Maybe/maybe not.

As a Metro opponent, I would much prefer it not be & he get traded out West & not have to worry about it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
All true, and your speculative numbers I can sign.

My intended onus when starting the reply was that he isn't in reality loaded with the ~$40M that he nominally has earned, but the point got lost in the process.

Yeah, I think we agree.

Loaded is a relative term though and I was kind of getting at this. A guy like Ferland (same draft year as Hall) has $5M in career earnings (before taxes and agent fees) compared to Hall's $40M (as well as the likely endorsements that Hall got). If it was me, and I was Ferland, I'd go for the biggest, longest term contract with the most up front money I could get regardless of the team. This is his best, and maybe only chance to get that type of pay day.

Hall has the luxury, in prior earnings, endorsements, star power, and the fact that he probably will be around in the NHL longer than Ferland, to be a little more picky and can take the best situation. Again, I'm not suggesting that he'll take some huge discount, and his agent will make sure of that.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I don’t think NJ winning the first overall pick makes Hall put pen to paper tomorrow for the Devils, but Shero’s pitch just became a lot easier to sell. Not only to Hall, but to other guys in the summer as well.

Look at all of the cap space they have to work with, I think Shero was going to try and be a major player in the summer, but I think he sees the way the dominos have fallen and will maybe try and be THE major player this summer.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don’t think NJ winning the first overall pick makes Hall put pen to paper tomorrow for the Devils, but Shero’s pitch just became a lot easier to sell. Not only to Hall, but to other guys in the summer as well.

Look at all of the cap space they have to work with, I think Shero was going to try and be a major player in the summer, but I think he sees the way the dominos have fallen and will maybe try and be THE major player this summer.
He's signed for a year still, can't extent until July 1st at earliest.

I assume this speculative shopping out for Hall is made under presumption that if he isn't looking likely to re-sign with NJ, they will trade his last year for some return.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
As @PettBresce said, the Devils have some serious cap space, like over $35 million with 13 guys signed for next season. Right now their offense is, at best, a 4 legged stool with Hall, Hischier, Palmieri, and to a lesser extent Zajac. There's Bratt and his potential and there's Zacha and his "long in the tooth" potential. And that's it. On defense they've basically got somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 NHLers. Greene, who isn't getting any younger, the oft injured and somewhat over-rated Vatanen, the enigmatic Will Butcher, and the very solid Severson. They suffer from inconsistent goaltending as well. That's a lot of holes to fix even with the cap space they've got.

Sure, you're getting the #1 pick, but there remain questions about both Hughes and Kakko, so there's no guarantees that he will be an immediate contributor. And frankly, their prospect pool is pretty weak.

Hall just threw down the gauntlet, essentially saying that Shero has to get some higher end free agents or make some trades for actual contributors or he's almost certainly going to walk. Good on him for giving NJ's front office notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad