Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Soapbox time. I just want the record to show, that last year when I was saying we should NOT trade 21OA in a deep draft:

Kind of makes me sick knowing that we are going to move Provorov within the year. Doesn’t matter though because we will recoup value when we trade him! :sarcasm:
Calum Ritchie was available too, so yeah, that trade has haunted me lately. But I also stand by the fundamental idea behind the trade. If they had traded for a more defensively responsible guy with more leadership qualities, we wouldn't look back on it as much. Certainly not with the horror we look back on it with now.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I don't see where all the concern is with San Jose.

They're blowing it up, this is what that looks like.

And though teardowns are the easier part of rebuilds, Grier had some very tough contracts to move and still pulled it off. The Meier return was really nice considering the absurd qualifying offer Meier was owed. The Karlsson contract had looked like they were going to be stuck with it forever, and they landed a mid 1st (obviously Karlsson's Norris season helped). The Hertl return is good considering his bad knees, I like Edstrom and that could be another mid 1st.

I like a lot of players they've drafted. Quentin Musty looks like a star forward in the making. They're about to nab a top 3 pick.

You can complain when they try to be good and fail (like all the other rebuilding clubs).

They have maybe 5-6 players who would play for Columbus, that's how far behind they are of a team as bad as Columbus. They are 5 years away if things go right.
Eklund just had a 45 point season
Zetterlund will be a good second line option, and young enough to be a leader when they turn this around

Bordeleau, Smith, Musty, Bystedt, Lund + 4 1st round picks in the next two years. Their direction is heading north.

The last three years they’ve gone from 77 points to 60 points to 47 points

That’s as south as you can get

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They have maybe 5-6 players who would play for Columbus, that's how far behind they are of a team as bad as Columbus. They are 5 years away if things go right.

I think that's true, and I think the owner not being willing to rebuild for so long has now put the team in a position where the rebuild is extra painful. But my point was that you don't have any reason to dislike Grier's performance at this point.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
In memory of Bob Cole.

That’s almost 10 years ago to the day. I was at that game and I will never forget the look on my buddy’s face when Dubi scored, nor the volume in the arena when Nick scored.

I know this is a tribute but I’m going to point out how I’ve always felt like Cole sounded disappointed on the Dubinsky goal. He may have been surprised or shocked or something but I always felt it came out sounding dejected. Could just be CBJ inferiority syndrome.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That’s almost 10 years ago to the day. I was at that game and I!will never forget the look on my buddy’s face when Dubi scored, nor the volume in the arena when Nick scored.

I know this is a tribute but I’m going to point out how I’ve always felt like Cole sounded disappointed on the Dubinsky goal. He may have been surprised or shocked or something but I always felt it came out sounding dejected. Could just be CBJ inferiority syndrome.
I always heard it as "flabberghasted", myself.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I don't see where all the concern is with San Jose.

They're blowing it up, this is what that looks like.

And though teardowns are the easier part of rebuilds, Grier had some very tough contracts to move and still pulled it off. The Meier return was really nice considering the absurd qualifying offer Meier was owed. The Karlsson contract had looked like they were going to be stuck with it forever, and they landed a mid 1st (obviously Karlsson's Norris season helped). The Hertl return is good considering his bad knees, I like Edstrom and that could be another mid 1st.

I like a lot of players they've drafted. Quentin Musty looks like a star forward in the making. They're about to nab a top 3 pick.

You can complain when they try to be good and fail (like all the other rebuilding clubs).
The question is will San Jose be better than us before too long or will the CBJ be better?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The thing with the Sharks, do you sign will smith or do you let him keep developing in college?

I’d probably try to sign him but it’s a tough call. Thats going to be a lot of losing for a year or two

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The thing with the Sharks, do you sign will smith or do you let him keep developing in college?

I’d probably try to sign him but it’s a tough call. Thats going to be a lot of losing for a year or two
Do you risk dragging it out to the point he can just not sign and choose where he wants to play when it's time?

Reactions: EspenK

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It's not a risk for a guy that good. He'd have to stay in college three extra years to pull that off.

Also, guys look at their pathway to the NHL and top line minutes. It’s not like San Jose has two good established centers that will keep him from getting minutes and pp opportunities. He’ll have a good chance to get to the NHL and play a lot and sign a good second contract.

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Also, guys look at their pathway to the NHL and top line minutes. It’s not like San Jose has two good established centers that will keep him from getting minutes and pp opportunities. He’ll have a good chance to get to the NHL and play a lot and sign a good second contract.
Staying in college does prevent a paycheck too. Unless BC NIL money is really that good and I highly doubt it.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I hope the league does something about this guy. He's a complete thug on the ice with his reckless hits.

It is hard to feel bad for anyone who is on the same team as Tom Wilson.

Maybe next year at the trade deadline we’ll get a nice offer for Olivier if a team thinks they might play the Rangers in the playoffs.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It is hard to feel bad for anyone who is on the same team as Tom Wilson.

Maybe next year at the trade deadline we’ll get a nice offer for Olivier if a team thinks they might play the Rangers in the playoffs.
As much as I hate both of them, at least Wilson is a guy capable of scoring 20 goals. Rempe is just a buffoon running at people to act tough.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
That Rempe hit wasn’t that bad at all. Can only imagine how many times that exact hit has occurred in the past in hockey games. He’s a big guy, yet, he didn’t seem to extend his arm/elbow up or out at all. And the puck wasn’t even gone very long, though the rules are changed now when it comes to “finishing your check” and interference, so the penalty is legit.

Maybe we need more guys who play with a f***ing pulse and go to the net like Rempe, not floating around the top of the circles and waving their sticks at everything.

For how much longer is unknown, but, as of now hockey is still a full contact sport. And the physical nature, and yes the actual fighting, has been an extremely unique aspect to the sport that has added to both the popularity and success of the sport, along with being a built in mechanism for the game to overall be better.

I think some of you guys would argue that some of the NHL/NFL players from the past deserve prison time. You think Scott Stevens AND Lindros didn’t hit people to HURT them?? And hundreds (or thousands) of others??

What about boxing and/or the popularity of mixed martial arts/ the UFC?? Should that be banned??

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Playoffs haven’t been as great as they usually are in round 1, but I am very much enjoying this Florida Tampa series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad