Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Stone scoring leaves a bad taste for sure...

Some good games all around. Hurricanes beat Islanders 5-3 but were losing 2-3 with a few minutes left to play. What I found funny was this line in the official recap: "Andersen made nine saves." The goals weren't (too much) on him but the Islanders only got 12 on net... Perhaps more telling:

"They (Hurricanes) also held a 110-28 advantage in shot attempts for the game."

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Stone scoring leaves a bad taste for sure...

Some good games all around. Hurricanes beat Islanders 5-3 but were losing 2-3 with a few minutes left to play. What I found funny was this line in the official recap: "Andersen made nine saves." The goals weren't (too much) on him but the Islanders only got 12 on net... Perhaps more telling:

"They (Hurricanes) also held a 110-28 advantage in shot attempts for the game."
Just looked at the box score. It's crazy it went from a 3-2 game to a 4-3 game in 9 seconds.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
When you are talking about the absolute best man to roam the crease the answer is simple Vladislav Tretiak.

The best soccer goalkeeper of all-time was also Soviet, Lev Yashin.

I could extrapolate that Russia plays great when defending their homeland but tend to struggle more when being offensive, but that would only be historically accurate.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
It's just an ebb and flow, not long ago Canada and Finland were pumping out goalies and now, not so much.
And now there's genuine concern over who will tend goal for Canada on the international stage. Their best goalie was Carter Hart and he's... well, you know. After him, Canada does have a bit of a wasteland at goal. Devon Levi is hardly who I'd pin my hopes of gold on, even if my forwards started with McDavid, Crosby, and Bedard.

Reactions: Jovavic

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And now there's genuine concern over who will tend goal for Canada on the international stage. Their best goalie was Carter Hart and he's... well, you know. After him, Canada does have a bit of a wasteland at goal. Devon Levi is hardly who I'd pin my hopes of gold on, even if my forwards started with McDavid, Crosby, and Bedard.

Jet Greaves better level up quick.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s so bad with both teams that I have no idea if either of them have the right ownership, front office OR coaching staff.

That’s before we even get on the ice

I don't see where all the concern is with San Jose.

They're blowing it up, this is what that looks like.

And though teardowns are the easier part of rebuilds, Grier had some very tough contracts to move and still pulled it off. The Meier return was really nice considering the absurd qualifying offer Meier was owed. The Karlsson contract had looked like they were going to be stuck with it forever, and they landed a mid 1st (obviously Karlsson's Norris season helped). The Hertl return is good considering his bad knees, I like Edstrom and that could be another mid 1st.

I like a lot of players they've drafted. Quentin Musty looks like a star forward in the making. They're about to nab a top 3 pick.

You can complain when they try to be good and fail (like all the other rebuilding clubs).

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
It's just an ebb and flow, not long ago Canada and Finland were pumping out goalies and now, not so much.

Many Finnish goalie coaches who had their part to play in the development of the past generation of great Finnish goalies ended up working in Russia and it seems goalie coaching was pretty bad or non-existent there. At least some interviews made it sound like even if those guys had no magic touch, just having half-way competent goalie coaches would've been an upgrade on what they did before.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Can the Kings just go back to this logo and jersey permanently?

1714013178367.png

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I like a lot of players they've drafted. Quentin Musty looks like a star forward in the making. They're about to nab a top 3 pick.
Soapbox time. I just want the record to show, that last year when I was saying we should NOT trade 21OA in a deep draft:
Someone that I have had my eye on for a while with the 22nd OA pick has been Quentin Musty. I looked into his Dobber NHL PE and it’s at 85 points. If you take the lowest percent of expected through Jarmo’s tenure (44%) and apply it to Musty’s stats, that results in a 38 point player.

I really like Perreault too, but he will probably be gone by 22. Based on the calcs, he’s a 46 point player.
Kind of makes me sick knowing that we are going to move Provorov within the year. Doesn’t matter though because we will recoup value when we trade him! :sarcasm:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Soapbox time. I just want the record to show, that last year when I was saying we should NOT trade 21OA in a deep draft:

Kind of makes me sick knowing that we are going to move Provorov within the year. Doesn’t matter though because we will recoup value when we trade him! :sarcasm:

I'll defend the trade in the abstract, but not the execution, as Provorov simply hasn't been good enough since the first couple months of the season.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad