Around Hockey XXIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Cam played just 12 mins tonight for Philly. He’s averaging 16 minutes (averaged 18+ last season) this season which is his lowest average TOI since 2014.
He did score a goal though. On pace for 32 this season. Of course, with Cam's streaky play, you never know if he'll get there. My guess is Philly is happy with him - he's a goal scorer and that's what he's doing.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
anaheim is a very interesting and intriguing team to me. if I had to choose a team to follow for the rest of the season aside from us it would be the ducks.

Zegras is a fricken GEM. can only hope Kent lives up to his potential like Zegras has.

not to mention… Drysdale, Terry.. etc. future is bright in Anaheim

Just have to find a GM lol

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

10 goals scored in a game, an all-time league wide win streak, more playoff success than 25/30 teams and a sweep of 1 of the most loaded teams of the last decade and an entire season played under the motto of “Safe is Death”….

How much of the “success” of these players after playing for Torts is because they PLAYED for Torts and LEARNED from the things he said, and not simply because he is no longer their coach??

The repetition and lack of hockey knowledge is alarming.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
10 goals scored in a game, an all-time league wide win streak, more playoff success than 25/30 teams and a sweep of 1 of the most loaded teams of the last decade and an entire season played under the motto of “Safe is Death”….

How much of the “success” of these players after playing for Torts is because they PLAYED for Torts and LEARNED from the things he said, and not simply because he is no longer their coach??

The repetition and lack of hockey knowledge is alarming.

To be clear, YES, I know Torts has only had a team with a PP% of over whatever, for only a whatever amount of years out of another whatever amount of years, and I don’t care.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Milano is playing well this season. Product of Zegris? Or finally figured it out and is now showing everyone why he was a 1st round pick? Happy for Milano but kind of depressing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Milano is playing well this season. Product of Zegris? Or finally figured it out and is now showing everyone why he was a 1st round pick? Happy for Milano but kind of depressing.

He's noticeably much stronger and more balanced. He goes flying in on the forecheck and somehow doesn't end up on his ass like he used to 10 times out of 10. Actually complements Zegras really well as a forechecker.

Yes his point pace is largely coming from playing with Zegras but it's not like the job was gifted to him. He simply clicked with Zegras when other guys couldn't. They had one game where they shared the ice for 30 seconds together, on overlapping shifts, and they scored two goals. After that they had to be tried together.

Remember when they said nobody could tell what Sonny is doing out there. I believe Bjorkstrand said "nobody can" when asked who can read off of Milano? Well Zegras seems to be doing it.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
anaheim is a very interesting and intriguing team to me. if I had to choose a team to follow for the rest of the season aside from us it would be the ducks.

Zegras is a fricken GEM. can only hope Kent lives up to his potential like Zegras has.

not to mention… Drysdale, Terry.. etc. future is bright in Anaheim
I have cousins who grew up in Columbus area and they are Bluejacket fans, i should tell them about Milano !
The one thing Columbus has in common with Anaheim is that our market is smaller and we generally don't spend to the salary cap unlike our geographic rivals (LA) or in Columbus case (Chicago/Detroit).
and we've had really bad luck with Russians unless their goalies. Chistov and Smirnov are our Zherdev and Filatov.
Also smallest american cities to have a team. Both under 1mil pop. We have to hit on our draft picks or we won't compete with the biggest markets.

I'm interested in Sillingers journey to the NHL already as 12th overall pick with him being born in Columbus and drafted by them.
Obviously Johnson has the higher upside with Zegras like IQ and skill but Sillinger is making an impact already while all 4 of the top4 2021 picks are not playing a full season in the NHL.

Reactions: I3LI3

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Remember when they said nobody could tell what Sonny is doing out there. I believe Bjorkstrand said "nobody can" when asked who can read off of Milano? Well Zegras seems to be doing it.

Maybe the secret to playing Milano is to do the exact opposite of what coaches have been telling you to do your whole life.

Zegras: “Milano is in front of the the net? No coach has ever told anyone to make half of a lacrosse move and then just gently lob the puck over the back of the goal. So I’ll do that.”

Milano: “Finally! This guy is the first teammate I have ever been on the same page with.”

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe the secret to playing Milano is to do the exact opposite of what coaches have been telling you to do your whole life.

Zegras: “Milano is in front of the the net? No coach has ever told anyone to make half of a lacrosse move and then just gently lob the puck over the back of the goal. So I’ll do that.”

Milano: “Finally! This guy is the first teammate I have ever been on the same page with.”

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Good lord, who cares about Sonny Milano?? Guy was on waivers earlier this season, 31 other teams could have had him for free. I mean I wish the guy well but the slobbering here is ridiculous. He sucked here for large stretches, let it go
It blows my mind. In past years and especially 2018-19 this team was trying to win a cup. Unfortunately we didn't have time to wait around for mercurial young guys to sort out their enormous game-losing flaws. I'm just happy guys like Milano and Duclair have found their games elsewhere. There was no way it could have been here due to system fit and what the team was trying to do. Sometimes timing doesn't work out. Nobody's fault.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Sonny Milano now has *TWO* separate goal of the year candidates? Linked above. Wild to think about.

Happy for him...had the arrest or whatever thing from that bar fight a couple years back. Looked like concussions nearly ended his hockey career.

Now he's nearly a ppg guy on a line with Trevor Zegras. Good for him. He's 12th in ppg among U.S.-born forwards and has gotten basically no Olympics buzz. Zegras is American as well. Hmmm.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Good lord, who cares about Sonny Milano?? Guy was on waivers earlier this season, 31 other teams could have had him for free. I mean I wish the guy well but the slobbering here is ridiculous. He sucked here for large stretches, let it go

It's like one of your kids grows up and moves to another town. You still take interest in their progress. What slobbering?

It blows my mind. In past years and especially 2018-19 this team was trying to win a cup. Unfortunately we didn't have time to wait around for mercurial young guys to sort out their enormous game-losing flaws. I'm just happy guys like Milano and Duclair have found their games elsewhere. There was no way it could have been here due to system fit and what the team was trying to do. Sometimes timing doesn't work out. Nobody's fault.

"Enormous game-losing flaws" might be overstating it a bit. They didn't meet Torts' standard and that was that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad