Around Hockey XVI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What part of Seattle did you live in, if I may ask?

Really, the junior hockey programs in Seattle are both doing quite well - the T Birds perhaps surprisingly so, since they just moved so far outside of the city. I really have a hard time thinking that a city without much else going for it in the winter wouldn't support an NHL team. One thing people don't realize about Seattle: They are the furthest north major city in the United States. Even farther north than Boston ... while it doesn't snow a lot there, the winters are chilly, rainy, and downright not fun. After the NFL season is over and the Seahawks are done, there isn't much to do there sports wise before the MLB season. And, like you and I both said, the city is passionate about its sports.

I've never had a place in Seattle. I've lived in Olympia and Bellingham, and just hung out in Seattle a lot. I live in Massachusetts now, and the amount of hockey culture here is 10-100x bigger. I'm almost annoyed that I can't get away from it.

Seattle doesn't freeze over (except for freak storms), and I think culturally that frozen thing is pretty important to develop hockey culture. Though a good team in Seattle I think would be very successful, for some of the reasons you mentioned.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I've never had a place in Seattle. I've lived in Olympia and Bellingham, and just hung out in Seattle a lot. I live in Massachusetts now, and the amount of hockey culture here is 10-100x bigger. I'm almost annoyed that I can't get away from it.

Seattle doesn't freeze over (except for freak storms), and I think culturally that frozen thing is pretty important to develop hockey culture. Though a good team in Seattle I think would be very successful, for some of the reasons you mentioned.

Never lived in the Northeast ... frankly, some of the hockey people from the Northeast do annoy me, for whatever it's worth, so I can understand where you're coming from. Notably, you can never get them off of the subject of the Rangers, Flyers, Devils, or Bruins, once they get onto that subject. I'm looking at you, Stan "Rainjuhs" Fischler...

With respect, I disagree about the freezing thing. There are some brooding hockey markets that virtually never see freezing (such as San Jose) ... I think it comes down to value of entertainment both on the ice, and for the dollar. An area like San Jose succeeds because the people in and around San Jose are willing to drop dime to see an NHL team compete. I think Seattle is a similar market; a younger, more "hip", tech savvy crowd versus that of, say, Miami. Even a city like Nashville does a fine job supporting the Predators through thick and thin.

That's the main reason I think Seattle would do well. You would be hard pressed to find more 20 to 30 something millionaires anywhere else in the US. Hockey is a "cool" sport; physical, exciting, fun to watch.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I think the key to building a successful hockey market is the youth program, something that DM got right here in Columbus. Once you get the kids into the sport, the adults tend to follow. When I started playing adult rec league 10 years ago, there was 1 D league, now there's 10 with an average of 8-12 teams.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
http://uproxx.com/sports/2014/08/todd-bertuzzi-and-steve-moore-reach-deal-10-years-later/

Steve Moore and Todd Bertuzzi Have Reached A Settlement, And It Only Took Ten Years To Do It

That’s right. Ten years. For hockey fans of a certain age, as they say, it’s a bit mind-boggling that one of the scariest on-ice incidents happened a decade ago, let alone that we’re finally seeing the legal battles surrounding it finally come to an end.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459743

A settlement has been reached in Steve Moore's lawsuit against Todd Bertuzzi for his attack in 2004 during an NHL game, but the process of finalizing it may be far from over.

A source tells TSN an agreement has been reached, but the paperwork has yet to be officially signed.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

How this man was ever allowed to play another NHL game is beyond me. 10 years ago I watched this (happened to be right outside Vancouver when it happened) and it didn't look that bad. Now looking back, it's almost an insult to the game that Bertuzzi wasn't banned for life.

Maybe it's the recent ban on head shots of any sort that has me feeling this way. But it can't be argued that a 250 pound man shouldn't be allowed to sucker punch someone from behind - who isn't putting up any kind of fight.

Steve Moore never played another NHL game.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

How this man was ever allowed to play another NHL game is beyond me. 10 years ago I watched this (happened to be right outside Vancouver when it happened) and it didn't look that bad. Now looking back, it's almost an insult to the game that Bertuzzi wasn't banned for life.

Maybe it's the recent ban on head shots of any sort that has me feeling this way. But it can't be argued that a 250 pound man shouldn't be allowed to sucker punch someone from behind - who isn't putting up any kind of fight.

Steve Moore never played another NHL game.

Bertuzzi is one of the league's all-time great pieces of ****.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
so as long as you're not a bottom 4 team, your odds are much better than before

sucks for those bottom 4 teams who aren't intentionally tanking..

also: worst team in the league can fall as low as 4th overall starting in 2016.. no guarantee of getting "at least" the 2nd overall pick

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Probably, (hopefully) this won't affect the Jackets but I'm not sure I like it. To me the worst team should get the 1st pick. To have them possibly picking 4th is not right. Not that every team with the #1 pick is guaranteed to improve (see Edmonton) it will help them in the long run.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
UFA out of BC Kevin Hayes signed with the NYR

College UFA's are going to be an interesting wrinkle in the next CBA. With Schultz and now Hayes (and for hope NOT Reilly) a few teams have lost prospects due to the ufa rules and college timeline. I can't imagine anyone in management around the league is happy at wasting those draft picks. Does anyone think teams are going to start worrying about the "college-factor"?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
College UFA's are going to be an interesting wrinkle in the next CBA. With Schultz and now Hayes (and for hope NOT Reilly) a few teams have lost prospects due to the ufa rules and college timeline. I can't imagine anyone in management around the league is happy at wasting those draft picks. Does anyone think teams are going to start worrying about the "college-factor"?

Yes, they will. But we shouldn't call it the "college factor" because it doesn't apply to most college bound players. It should be called something that indicates whatever the loophole is. I can't ever seem to remember the exact loophole.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I do and I think teams should think about it. Of course I believe the same risk sort of applies to juniors doesn't it? If you don't sign a guy in 2 years doesn't he go back into the draft? I also think more guys will take this option down the road.

I think the difference is a guy who likes the college life and sticks around for four years all he has to do is wait till August 15 and he can pick where he goes as a UFA. The guy drafted out of juniors is still subject to the draft and probably isn't that good anyway. Most kids playing juniors want to hit the NHL as soon as possible; I'm not sure that is the case with a lot of college guys.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

I really like it. With the way parity is going in the league, there is not going to be a big difference from the last two teams versus the next 2 teams. Things may have to be adjusted if they ever bring in expansion teams, however.

Watch Edmonton now finish something like 18th in the standings and win the lottery.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I really like it. With the way parity is going in the league, there is not going to be a big difference from the last two teams versus the next 2 teams. Things may have to be adjusted if they ever bring in expansion teams, however.

Watch Edmonton now finish something like 18th in the standings and win the lottery.
They'd get just as much if not more **** for winning the lottery at that point than Cleveland got this summer.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
new OHL fighting rules

"#OHL Announces new On-Ice Player Safety Initiatives prior to the 2014-15 season, full details here: http://t.co/S9FXDy3WaG "

Good changes.

For those who can't access the link:
- Any fight that takes place off a faceoff will result in an automatic game misconduct
- One-game suspension on the third instigator of a season, increasing with each additional
- Fights per player in a game are reduced from three to two
- Teams are capped at three fights per game; fines for anything in excess of that

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
UFA out of BC Kevin Hayes signed with the NYR

Really confused by this entire thing. He mentioned wanting to play in the NHL right away, so he walks away from the team that drafted him (who also happens to be one of the best in the league) .. and signs with another team that's loaded on the wing. He'll be behind just as many guys with the Rangers as he would have been with the Hawks.

Maybe it was just posturing and he wanted to be a Ranger all along? :dunno:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Really confused by this entire thing. He mentioned wanting to play in the NHL right away, so he walks away from the team that drafted him (who also happens to be one of the best in the league) .. and signs with another team that's loaded on the wing. He'll be behind just as many guys with the Rangers as he would have been with the Hawks.

Maybe it was just posturing and he wanted to be a Ranger all along? :dunno:

Are we sure the Hawks didn't offer him less money than the Rags did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad