Around Hockey XVI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
You do realize that Cleveland, OH is closer than Springfield, MA, right?
I suspect what Candyman meant about "keeping travel time low" was the majority of AHL teams are closer to Mass. than Ohio

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I suspect what Candyman meant about "keeping travel time low" was the majority of AHL teams are closer to Mass. than Ohio

Not sure why that really matters to the CBJ. The main point of the AHL team is to develop players and be able to get them here quickly when we need them so we don't have a situation like last year when a player can't get a flight in time because of weather and we have to play with 5 d-men.

Also, it would save a hell of lot of money if we're not paying for flights to and from Massachusetts every couple of weeks.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
That's exactly what I was talking about

To build on the argument for the Monsters being the CBJ's AHL affiliate... I can't remember where I saw it and I really wish I did so people don't call BS, but there was a survey that asked what NHL team Monsters fans rooted for, and the vast majority ( I think near 70%) chose the Avs, followed by Pitt, or Det.

In my opinion, it would increase interest in the CBJ exponentially in CLE if the big club was only 2 hours down I-71.

edit: I want to say I saw the 70% stat on the jumbotron at a Monsters game upon further thought.

Last edited:

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
To build on the argument for the Monsters being the CBJ's AHL affiliate... I can't remember where I saw it and I really wish I did so people don't call BS, but there was a survey that asked what NHL team Monsters fans rooted for, and the vast majority ( I think near 70%) chose the Avs, followed by Pitt, or Det.

In my opinion, it would increase interest in the CBJ exponentially in CLE if the big club was only 2 hours down I-71.

edit: I want to say I saw the 70% stat on the jumbotron at a Monsters game upon further thought.
I'd say that having Lake Erie as our AHL team certainly wouldn't drive fans away from the CBJ, so it really could do nothing more than expand the CBJ's area of influence

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i'm sure you all are just as happy as I am about this

Megan Carter ‏@Megan_Carter_ 2m
You're never going to believe this... But please follow my Husband as he is new to twitter @JeffCarter_77 @LAKings #newbie

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

You're never going to believe this... But please follow my Husband as he is new to twitter @JeffCarter_77 @LAKings #newbie

Yay! Now we have a direct line of communication to call him an *******! :sarcasm:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I'll put as much effort into following Jeff Carter as he did into his on-ice play in Columbus.

In other words, zero.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm not on Twitter. But I will be as soon as the Kings launch #askJeffCarter

edit: please note, not sure if that is proper use of the hashtag

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Actually came here to discuss this. Currently in Seattle for a week-long vacation, and there is a buzz around town about this. We went to a Mariners game on Tuesday and I don't think words can relay how many Blue Jays faithful were in attendance. What does that mean? Well, Canada has but one MLB team (the Blue Jays), and we sat near fans from as far away as Calgary, who were in town just to see them, because Seattle is the closest MLB city to them. Calgary is a 16 hour drive.

Factor in two things here: 1. The CHL following in the area. The Seattle Thunderbirds recently relocated to Kent, WA (about an hour southeast of Seattle) and a new barn. This has given them a whole new area/fanbase to work with, and has opened up the entire city of Seattle - one that has a big following of hockey fans. The other team in the area is the Everett Silvertips (about an hour north of Seattle), which has been a hugely popular franchise since it's inception. The city has a large and passionate hockey fanbase, very similar to the one I can remember before the Blue Jackets came to Columbus.

The other factor: Canada. Seattle is within two hours of the Canadian border, and while I realize that most of the fans up there will still follow the Canucks, Oilers, or Flames, it isn't without reason to think that many of those fans will venture down to see a Seattle team play. After all, one look at ticket prices and availability for the Canucks is enough to send many fans (including myself) looking elsewhere for their entertainment value. A ton of the fans of the Buffalo Sabres are Canadian (even many from the Toronto area) ... it's just too damn hard and expensive to get tickets up there. There is a huge following of Seattle sports teams already in Canada also ... I have good friends as far away as Ottawa who are Seahawk fans, and have been for years.

An NHL team would do very well in Seattle, much like their MLS team has done. This is a city that's passionate about it's sports, and has a culturally diverse community that will support them through thick and thin. The nearest NHL teams to Seattle are (obviously) Vancouver (three hours away), Calgary (16 hours), Edmonton (19ish hours), and then to the south, San Jose (14 hours), and the rest of the California teams. The closest American team to the East? The Colorado Avalanche. There's plenty of room/need for a team up here...

Plus, let's face it ... the Sore Loser would hate making an annual trip over to see the CBJ come to town ... ;)

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Actually came here to discuss this. Currently in Seattle for a week-long vacation, and there is a buzz around town about this. We went to a Mariners game on Tuesday and I don't think words can relay how many Blue Jays faithful were in attendance. What does that mean? Well, Canada has but one MLB team (the Blue Jays), and we sat near fans from as far away as Calgary, who were in town just to see them, because Seattle is the closest MLB city to them. Calgary is a 16 hour drive.

Factor in two things here: 1. The CHL following in the area. The Seattle Thunderbirds recently relocated to Kent, WA (about an hour southeast of Seattle) and a new barn. This has given them a whole new area/fanbase to work with, and has opened up the entire city of Seattle - one that has a big following of hockey fans. The other team in the area is the Everett Silvertips (about an hour north of Seattle), which has been a hugely popular franchise since it's inception. The city has a large and passionate hockey fanbase, very similar to the one I can remember before the Blue Jackets came to Columbus.

The other factor: Canada. Seattle is within two hours of the Canadian border, and while I realize that most of the fans up there will still follow the Canucks, Oilers, or Flames, it isn't without reason to think that many of those fans will venture down to see a Seattle team play. After all, one look at ticket prices and availability for the Canucks is enough to send many fans (including myself) looking elsewhere for their entertainment value. A ton of the fans of the Buffalo Sabres are Canadian (even many from the Toronto area) ... it's just too damn hard and expensive to get tickets up there. There is a huge following of Seattle sports teams already in Canada also ... I have good friends as far away as Ottawa who are Seahawk fans, and have been for years.

An NHL team would do very well in Seattle, much like their MLS team has done. This is a city that's passionate about it's sports, and has a culturally diverse community that will support them through thick and thin. The nearest NHL teams to Seattle are (obviously) Vancouver (three hours away), Calgary (16 hours), Edmonton (19ish hours), and then to the south, San Jose (14 hours), and the rest of the California teams. The closest American team to the East? The Colorado Avalanche. There's plenty of room/need for a team up here...

Plus, let's face it ... the Sore Loser would hate making an annual trip over to see the CBJ come to town ... ;)

The Seattle market sounds very much like Columbus and would make a great deal of sense when the time is right for expansion. Seems like it all depends on construction of an appropriate venue. I hope you get your wish, SL!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I've lived in Seattle area before so I'd add a few bits to SL's depiction.

1) Seattle is bigger, and has several times more money than Columbus. It's swimming in it.

2) I played youth hockey in Ohio before the Blue Jackets, and there were some teams, and no shortage of Red Wings fans around. In Seattle there isn't nearly as much youth hockey, and it's harder to find hockey fans than it was in Ohio.

3) It's not Atlanta. They do love sports. I wouldn't have said the city had a particular soccer connection before the MLS came, and now it has easily the most prosperous franchise in the league.

I think Seattle could be one of the most successful franchises in the entire NHL, but that's contingent on having a competent franchise, because there isn't a lot of hockey background in the region.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I think Seattle could be one of the most successful franchises in the entire NHL, but that's contingent on having a competent franchise, because there isn't a lot of hockey background in the region.

That's where you almost need a Doug Maclean....

Not as your GM or President but he is a damn good PR man.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I've lived in Seattle area before so I'd add a few bits to SL's depiction.

1) Seattle is bigger, and has several times more money than Columbus. It's swimming in it.

2) I played youth hockey in Ohio before the Blue Jackets, and there were some teams, and no shortage of Red Wings fans around. In Seattle there isn't nearly as much youth hockey, and it's harder to find hockey fans than it was in Ohio.

3) It's not Atlanta. They do love sports. I wouldn't have said the city had a particular soccer connection before the MLS came, and now it has easily the most prosperous franchise in the league.

What part of Seattle did you live in, if I may ask?

Really, the junior hockey programs in Seattle are both doing quite well - the T Birds perhaps surprisingly so, since they just moved so far outside of the city. I really have a hard time thinking that a city without much else going for it in the winter wouldn't support an NHL team. One thing people don't realize about Seattle: They are the furthest north major city in the United States. Even farther north than Boston ... while it doesn't snow a lot there, the winters are chilly, rainy, and downright not fun. After the NFL season is over and the Seahawks are done, there isn't much to do there sports wise before the MLB season. And, like you and I both said, the city is passionate about its sports.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Are there any sort of rules already in place regarding potential NHL expansion draft if for example Seattle should join?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPxJZoL8Km0

Helsinki-based Jokerit joining KHL has at least improved the team's marketing and most likely show elements too when the new season starts.

While many people in Finland have been really negative about Jokerit chances to claim success in KHL while also being overly worried of what their department will mean for Finnish ice hockey in general bit of a foreign influence can apparently do much towards upgrading the team's 'culture' in different fronts. Similar effect to what new GM Jarmo Kekäläinen had with Jokerit's sports side when he joined from St. Louis Blues in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad