Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Remember the Bratislava Capitals? Where the player and manager died? They've had 5 players leave since Thursday.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I’ll remember him mostly for this:

Probably one of the best memes the NHL has ever produced. But to his credit, those first few years in Calgary were incredible. By the end of his 3rd season I thought "It's not a fluke with this guy anymore. He'll be one of the better players for many years to come. When Lidstrom finally retires he will get his shot at the Norris. I don't know if he'll win but he will be in the discussion" and the poor bastard gets traded to the leafs where his career dies.

#These Are The Blunders #lmao #Talent Scout Baby!!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I'm fairly new to this Chinese passport stuff, but the passport issue is a big one for the IIHF and eligibility.

I sort of figure that China will do a USSR and just kind of fudge whatever they need to in order to make it happen, but normally with China, you have to renounce your existing citizenship(s).

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Very supportive Islanders fans in the replies. No wonder they tell us they have the best arena atmosphere in the league.

NFT's always felt a bit scam-adjacent to me. Seems that kind of thinking is pretty widely accepted now.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm sure that missing Chinese tennis player has those Canadians clamoring to turn over their passports, btw.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I'm fairly new to this Chinese passport stuff, but the passport issue is a big one for the IIHF and eligibility.

I sort of figure that China will do a USSR and just kind of fudge whatever they need to in order to make it happen, but normally with China, you have to renounce your existing citizenship(s).

Just go with Norway. Whatever hockey team China does manage to put together will be so patchwork

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Just go with Norway. Whatever hockey team China does manage to put together will be so patchwork
I think it depends on the (actual) politics. No Canadian is going to naturalize to being a Chinese citizen for their Olympic team. Maybe China pulls a 'special temporary citizenship' out of their hat or something. China isn't the USSR, they can't hide these players away from talking.

But China is also an authoritarian regime. Imagine telling the Soviets that one of their teams won't compete in an Olympics on their own turf.

What would anger China less, having their team get stomped on at the Olympics, or pulling them, possibly turning them off hockey? Isn't that partly why the NHL agreed to go this time?

They had a different format in 98' for Japan. Maybe they need to do something like that again.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Man, McDavid is just a whole different thing. He really might be on that Gretzky/Lemieux tier by the end of his career.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Man, McDavid is just a whole different thing. He really might be on that Gretzky/Lemieux tier by the end of his career.

I think he needs to get on Leon Draisaitl's level first :sarcasm:

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Wow, what a meltdown in Montreal. I mean this is beyond epic. We broke them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad