Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The more I watch him the less I'm impressed with Jesse Puljujuarvi. All the tools in the world and it just doesn't turn into anything really significant. He just seems content to go out there for a shift and line change regardless of what happens out there. Now granted, I actually like the fact he isn't super hard on himself but if he has something like like 6 goals and 13 points in 40 games next year then I'd be a little bit concerned about how long it's taking him to grasp the NHL game. I think it's just going to probably look worse than it really is next year. I'm hoping after next season he figures it out.

Last edited:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
The more I watch him the less I'm impressed with Jesse Puljujuarvi. All the tools in the world and it just doesn't turn into anything really significant. He just seems content to go out there for a shift and line change regardless of what happens out there. Now granted, I actually like the fact he isn't super hard on himself but if he has something like like 6 goals and 13 points in 40 games next year then I'd be a little bit concerned about how long it's taking him to grasp the NHL game. I think it's just going to probably look worse than it really is next year. I'm hoping after next season he figures it out.
Sounds like an Edmonton pick.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Sounds like an Edmonton pick.

No kidding. I think concern is still the right word but I wouldn't go beyond that unless he goes into Fall 2019 playing like this. I wouldn't even say he's a late bloomer because he's not even 20 years old yet and won't be until May. I think if he's still putting up paltry numbers by then, then it's officially time for some ruh roh. The reason I mention JP in specific is that he is a baffling player. He's got more talent than Brett Connolly and yet plays like him. I know he's not getting a lot of top line time but holy crap you'd hope that a 4th overall pick could be less of a passenger.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
It's not a surprise that Puljujärvi's development is taking longer than his WJC linemates Laine and Aho. He wasn't as good as Laine was in their draft year in Liiga. While Laine already had that Ovechkin level shot when he came to the NHL, Puljujärvi is much more of a raw product. He also couldn't speak almost any English when he came over and to be honest, he still barely can. He needs to get his confidence back and when he does, it will get better for him. He has too much natural talent to not be at least a good NHL player. The best thing that could happen to him would be getting the hell out of Edmonton though :laugh:

Almost forgot, his meme potential is off the charts. It's almost Olli Jokinen tier.

pool-party-pizza-puljujarvi-gif.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: tom leafers

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's not a surprise that Puljujärvi's development is taking longer than his WJC linemates Laine and Aho. He wasn't as good as Laine was in their draft year in Liiga. While Laine already had that Ovechkin level shot when he came to the NHL, Puljujärvi is much more of a raw product. He also couldn't speak almost any English when he came over and to be honest, he still barely can. He needs to get his confidence back and when he does, it will get better for him. He has too much natural talent to not be at least a good NHL player. The best thing that could happen to him would be getting the hell out of Edmonton though :laugh:

Almost forgot, his meme potential is off the charts. It's almost Olli Jokinen tier.

pool-party-pizza-puljujarvi-gif.gif

I agree. I watch some games where you can tell he's feeling great. He takes the puck with confidence on his stick (albeit this is rare) slings accurate passes and takes more shot attempts. When he doesn't score on those nights you can tell it's a good player who just didn't get on the score sheet. Other nights he seems so apprehensive and reminds me of when we had a kitten that was too frightened to leave his mother and his other two litter mates were literally swinging at the top of our curtains across the house trying to figure out how to jump out our window. Compare his great nights to his apprehensive nights and it's 1 out of 4. I think his IQ will be his saving grace. I'd watch Yakupov go at warp speed to do the wrong thing every time he was out there and meanwhile JP does the right things but is not pushing hard enough to be a difference maker. It's got to be confidence out there. There are some players who want to score like their life counts on it and that's the only aspect I would say is missing from JP's game. But overall I'm not impressed because I don't see a player who is in a hurry to push himself to get better.

I hope next year is different for him.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I agree. I watch some games where you can tell he's feeling great. He takes the puck with confidence on his stick (albeit this is rare) slings accurate passes and takes more shot attempts. When he doesn't score on those nights you can tell it's a good player who just didn't get on the score sheet. Other nights he seems so apprehensive and reminds me of when we had a kitten that was too frightened to leave his mother and his other two litter mates were literally swinging at the top of our curtains across the house trying to figure out how to jump out our window. Compare his great nights to his apprehensive nights and it's 1 out of 4. I think his IQ will be his saving grace. I'd watch Yakupov go at warp speed to do the wrong thing every time he was out there and meanwhile JP does the right things but is not pushing hard enough to be a difference maker. It's got to be confidence out there. There are some players who want to score like their life counts on it and that's the only aspect I would say is missing from JP's game. But overall I'm not impressed because I don't see a player who is in a hurry to push himself to get better.

I hope next year is different for him.

I believe it will come to him. I don't question his drive at all. The kid moved over 100 miles from home as a 13 year old to play higher level hockey and when he wasn't playing hockey, he was playing bandy (I don't know if you know what that is but it's like hockey but on a bigger field, ball and bigger goals). Hockey has been his life since he could stand up. At least those are the stories I've heard living in the city he grew up in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad