OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Someone posted this gem on the main board:

Now that was a team. Got their ***** kicked on the scoreboard, but that was a team. I miss seeing stuff like that. Last year was rough in that aspect. We'd get our ***** kicked on the scoreboard and have our tail between our legs.

Cooper will change that. I hope.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The National Hockey League general managers voted in favor of recommendations made by the NHL Competition Committee during a meeting Wednesday.
Visors:
If the Board of Governors approves the mandatory use of visors, all players who have fewer than 26 games of NHL experience will be required to wear a visor beginning in the 2013-14 season. Players who have played in 26 games or more will be able to make their own decision on if they want to wear a visor.
Hybrid Icing:
If hybrid icing is approved by the Board of Governors, the players will then have a vote before the end of the 2013 preseason to decide if they like it. If the vote is in favor of it, hybrid icing will be implemented for the start of the 2013-14 season. (...)

The NHL general managers are in favor of hybrid icing because it makes the game safer but doesn't detract from the excitement.
Other stuff:
Among the other recommendations the GMs voted in favor of are:

* All double-minor penalties for high-sticking will be subject to video review.

* The League will eliminate the attainable pass, which gave linesmen the discretion to wave off icing infractions on attempted passes that are deemed to be attainable. With the new standard, there must be contact with the stick.

* Beginning next season, the NHL would use nets that are 4 inches shallower. Nets will remain six feet wide by four feet tall, but they will be 40 inches in depth, down from 44 inches.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=674510

What do we take from this? Gudas will have to wear a visor.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
Well with Torts sidling up to Vancouver (boy will that be a fun media-coach battle), looks like the coaching carousel has spun to a close.

Interesting that Guy never gained a lot of steam, despite being a hot name early in the offseason. I wonder if he becomes a candidate to be an immediate in-season replacement if a team like Minny, Carolina or Winnipeg gets antsy after a bad start.

I could see Philly making an in-season change as well, but somehow I don't see him ending up there...

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Well with Torts sidling up to Vancouver (boy will that be a fun media-coach battle), looks like the coaching carousel has spun to a close.

Interesting that Guy never gained a lot of steam, despite being a hot name early in the offseason. I wonder if he becomes a candidate to be an immediate in-season replacement if a team like Minny, Carolina or Winnipeg gets antsy after a bad start.

I could see Philly making an in-season change as well, but somehow I don't see him ending up there...

Just imagine. Good lord. The ironing would be delicious.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
Bernier traded to Toronto for Frattin, Scrivens and a future 2nd rounder.

I don't know a ton about Frattin, so I can't really speak to how that package compares to Conacher + 4th or the two 2nds and a 3rd we traded for Lindback. I really did want Bernier once upon a time, though.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Whoa, what a crazy day for goalies:

Flyers buy out the remainder of Bryzgalov's contract.
SKA St. Petersburg has offered Bobrovsky $10 million per year.
Kiprusoff announces his retirement from hockey.

Also, Torts is Vancouver's new head coach.

Doctor Drej

Unregistered User
Jan 10, 2009
The Quiet Room
Whoa, what a crazy day for goalies:

Flyers buy out the remainder of Bryzgalov's contract.
SKA St. Petersburg has offered Bobrovsky $10 million per year.
Kiprusoff announces his retirement from hockey.

Also, Torts is Vancouver's new head coach.

you forgot chris shafer pimping steve mason as the answer on the flyers board.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
In non-Vinny news today:

Messier is leaving the Rangers

Bettman has sounded the death knell for the Yotes

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 2m
Gary Bettman:"if we don't have a deal in Glendale, the Coyotes are not going to play in Phoenix next season."

and something else that I forgot. ****. I'll remember it later.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Bettman on the Coyotes:
"I don't want to be more specific than I'm going to be, but if the council doesn't approve it so this transaction can close, I don't think the Coyotes will be playing there anymore," Commissioner Bettman said following a Board of Governors meeting.

Bettman on the Olympics:
Commissioner Bettman said the Board of Governors has granted him the authority to do the Olympic deal without going back to the Board for further approval.

Bettman on possible rule changes:
In addition, Commissioner Bettman said the Board granted its authority for the League to work with the NHLPA on the implementation of the rule changes recommended by both the NHL Competition Committee and the general managers. However, the changes have not been formally enacted yet because the Players' Association wants to go through them with its executive board at a meeting next week.

The changes include:

* Mandatory visors for all players who have fewer than 26 games of NHL experience beginning in the 2013-14 season

* The use of hybrid icing in the 2013 preseason with the possibility of implementing it for the start of the 2013-14 regular season

* Shallower nets (four inches)

* Making the spin-o-rama on shootouts illegal

* All double-minor penalties for high-sticking will be subject to video review

* The League will eliminate the attainable pass, which gave linesmen the discretion to wave off icing infractions on attempted passes that are deemed to be attainable. With the new standard, there must be contact with the stick.

* Making goalie equipment smaller
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675503

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm curious to see how well the rules work, but I'm not a fan of removing the spin-o-rama from shootouts. If you're going to give a player a free shot on net, let them go all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad