Post-Game Talk: Arooooo 3 @ Canucks 2 || Horvat scored so there's that.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
People arnt even watching the games. Horvat is better than higgins and burrows and theyre dragging him down.

I havnt seen burrows or higgins deke an opposing player since 2013. Get the puck on the boards. And change so they dont look bad.

Would waive both of them for gaunce and grenier.

Absolutely. Higgins was better last night, Burrows was completely invisible.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Last night Higgins showed me that he can still be an effective NHL player. One that is head and shoulders better than Dorsett could ever dream of becoming.

And Vrbata showed me in the Sabres game (the one right after Hank blasted the team) that he is also a good NHL player.

What this tells me is that the core isn't stale. The core just doesn't believe in our current management and aside from our top line, just couldn't be bothered to put in 100% effort in the majority of games.

And seriously, who can blame them...

What an odd theory. So the core is good, they just aren't trying for management. Well, except for the Sedins. And a couple defensemen.

Wait, so just Burrows and Higgins from the stale core are the ones not trying? And this is a good thing for them?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Not when we had Peca in the lineup.:sarcasm:

(sorry I just couldn't resist.....I'm just classes...)

I get the reference (one of the best open ice hits i've ever seen) but i'd be amazed if more than a handful of posters here do. You're going waaaaaaay back on that one.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
What an odd theory. So the core is good, they just aren't trying for management. Well, except for the Sedins. And a couple defensemen.

Wait, so just Burrows and Higgins from the stale core are the ones not trying? And this is a good thing for them?

Odd theory?

I don't think so.

Having been on a sales team for a ****** company, you got your top producers that produce regardless of how the company is doing and you got the unmotivated that are just bagging it waiting for the inevitable layoff or for the company to fold.

Those unmotivated sales people aren't incompetent. They just don't give a damn. Everyone is motivated differently.

And I didn't attach a judgement on the unmotivated core players. It's just how it works in team dynamics when you got crappy leadership.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Odd theory?

I don't think so.

Having been on a sales team for a ****** company, you got your top producers that produce regardless of how the company is doing and you got the unmotivated that are just bagging it waiting for the inevitable layoff or for the company to fold.

Those unmotivated sales people aren't incompetent. They just don't give a damn. Everyone is motivated differently.

And I didn't attach a judgement on the unmotivated core players. It's just how it works in team dynamics when you got crappy leadership.

Well, I've worked for companies where people become unmotivated because their friends left the company. Maybe players are sad that Bieksa left.

I've worked for companies where employees were not motivated because they had an outside addiction. Maybe some players have been partying too much.

Maybe some of the players aren't motivated because they are in the middle of a long contract and have little financial incentive.

Nobody has any idea, and the truth is it doesn't matter why players aren't playing well anymore.. just the results. Spinning it in an obscure way to blame management is pointless, unless your point is to blame management for everything and not hold people accountable for their own play.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Bo Horvat now leads the league in plus/minus. He is a -19. He is ranked #774 out of #774.

25zsf81.jpg

That is incredibly awful. Like, words can't describe how awful that is. For a guy who was supposed to be defensively sound, a -19 at the halfway point of the season is always incomprehensible. I am not bad mouthing the guy, I am just gobsmacked by how bad of a sophomore year he is having.

It's way too long and way too bad of a streak for people to just write it off as a "sophomore slump". There is cleary something wrong.

Some bad luck involved there. His 5v5 PDO is listed as 946 this year. Some players have long-term PDOs that are a fair bit above or below 1000, but 946 certainly involves a fair bit of bad luck.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The thing with Higgins is that it absolutely highlights the insanity of Benning building a wildly over-priced 4th line. When a guy like Higgins starts to get long in the tooth and hit a wall, he should slide down the line-up and become a premium 4th liner (either until he gets his game turned around or more permanently). Then the kids you've presumably been playing on your 4th line can move up the line-up to take on bigger roles, and so on and so on.

Instead, Benning tries to find the right guys for every slot in the line-up, and as soon as someone is hurt/struggling, the coach moves up atrocious options like Prust/Dorsett and turns them into middle-six wingers. It makes no sense.

Then again, the way this coach rolls his lines, it doesn't really make much difference anyway. 5v5 is just an endless rotation with no brainpower put behind it.

I find it continually surprising that anyone supports what's going on here. People used to hate the Canucks. Now they just pity them.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Also, Burrows at this point can't drive a line anymore (as he could for 5 or 6 seasons there). That makes sense at his age. A lot of what we're seeing is complementary players being asked to carry lines with young kids on them because Benning/Linden are foolishly accelerating their prospects because they're scared to rebuild. Desjardins all but admitted this the other day.

Honestly, none of what we're seeing makes a damn bit of sense.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The thing with Higgins is that it absolutely highlights the insanity of Benning building a wildly over-priced 4th line. When a guy like Higgins starts to get long in the tooth and hit a wall, he should slide down the line-up and become a premium 4th liner (either until he gets his game turned around or more permanently). Then the kids you've presumably been playing on your 4th linev can move up the line-up to take on bigger roles, and so on and so on.

Instead, Benning tries to find the right guys for every slot in the line-up, and as soon as someone is hurt/struggling, the coach moves up atrocious options like Prust/Dorsett and turns them into middle-six wingers. It makes no sense.

Then again, the way this coach rolls his lines, it doesn't really make much difference anyway. 5v5 is just an endless rotation with no brainpower put behind it.

I find it continually surprising that anyone supports what's going on here. People used to hate the Canucks. Now they just pity them.

I don't agree with everything here, but I will pick out a part I do agree with.

I think this is why the Prust trade is so strange. Having Virtanen, Kenins, or Gaunce in that 4th line LW role made so much sense for a variety of reasons. For all the ragging Dorsett gets, having him as a veteran RW who stands up for his teammates is a great fit for guys like that who are fairly new to the league. I am just hoping they move Prust along and they can do that in the 2nd half of the year.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
he also plays on the PP for majority of those games.

Yeah, that does not change his ES numbers. The fact he was 35th overall at ES for just $2.5m makes bargain, he does not need to be on the PP to earn that contract, this isn't some $5-7m top 6 offensive star.

The fact he is poor on the PP is a Benning/Willie problem not a Higgins problem. Why these idiots still played him there is beyond reason, that is on their head not Higgins.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
"People used to hate the Canucks...now they just pity them"

They hated the Cancks when we were winning Presidents trophies, winning playoff series, and making it to the finals.

We aren't that team anymore, not by a long shot. The window was closed in 2012 and the fact that people's expectation is still there simply doesn't reflect the hard realities of this club; that Our best players by a country mile were drafted in the 90s, and the best goalie on the payroll doesn't play for this team.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Also, Burrows at this point can't drive a line anymore (as he could for 5 or 6 seasons there). That makes sense at his age. A lot of what we're seeing is complementary players being asked to carry lines with young kids on them because Benning/Linden are foolishly accelerating their prospects because they're scared to rebuild. Desjardins all but admitted this the other day.

As much as I like Burrows, he never drove any line. He was just a very good complimentary player, moreso for the Sedins. But the Sedins could drive anyone.

Early in his career, Burrows played with Kesler and Hansen and he didn't drive that line either. It was all Kesler. In fact, I would say playing with a Selke finalist gave him the opportunity to play such a good defensive game. Kesler was that good in his prime, and still pretty good defensively.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
"People used to hate the Canucks...now they just pity them"

They hated the Cancks when we were winning Presidents trophies, winning playoff series, and making it to the finals.

We aren't that team anymore, not by a long shot. The window was closed in 2012 and the fact that people's expectation is still there simply doesn't reflect the hard realities of this club; that Our best players by a country mile were drafted in the 90s, and the best goalie on the payroll doesn't play for this team.

/copyandpaste.gif

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
As much as I like Burrows, he never drove any line. He was just a very good complimentary player, moreso for the Sedins. But the Sedins could drive anyone.

Early in his career, Burrows played with Kesler and Hansen and he didn't drive that line either. It was all Kesler. In fact, I would say playing with a Selke finalist gave him the opportunity to play such a good defensive game. Kesler was that good in his prime, and still pretty good defensively.

Burrows has always been a guy that can drive play on his line. He basically improved the possession numbers of every line he was on for 5-6 years. He can't really do that anymore. I think he could still be a good middle-six winger on a team like Chicago, but the Canucks don't have the quality forwards for him to really mesh with anymore.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So there's a TV time-out, they're behind by a goal, and instead of trotting out the Sedins who're in the top-10 in scoring, they stick with the line that was on the ice....after all, if all you're doing is 'rolling lines' then it must still be their turn. ..right?....Willie really is our knight in shining armour, tank commander....His Don Knotts schtick behind the bench will 'accidentally' get us to the promised land of a high draft pick.:handclap:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Burrows has always been a guy that can drive play on his line. He basically improved the possession numbers of every line he was on for 5-6 years. He can't really do that anymore. I think he could still be a good middle-six winger on a team like Chicago, but the Canucks don't have the quality forwards for him to really mesh with anymore.

Which line was that?

The Sedins carried every line for the past decade.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

What does carry a line mean.

Horvat is ready and sutter got injured. This team is built to devlop youth while aquiring a top 5 pick.

Can anyone look at burrows or higgins stat lines and be upset at horvat or mccann. Come on now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad