Armia to be better than Landeskog and Larsson?

STHLM*

I don't think so but the Finns seems to be high on this guy, especially on YT. The finns acually think he's a better prospect than Landeskog and Larsson. What have I missed? Is Armia a better than prospect than what I thought? If so why isn't he among the favorites? Right now the favorites seems to be Landeskog, Larsson, RHN and Couturier. opinions, please! :help:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It is just a finish bias...

The funny part is that when we do the same here in canada we get called out by our Euro friends.

;)

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Nah, he's good but I would not rate him above Landeskog or Larsson. His skating really needs to get considerably better before he has even the slightest chance to make it in the NHL.

Besides, recent history shows us that Swedish prospects have a lot better chance to become impact players in the NHL, when compared to Finnish prospects.

STHLM*

There are always some Finns/Swedes having pissing contests every chance they get.

Yes, understand that. i also understand it's some bias in the "hype" around Armia. But at least one Finn have make a video about his top picks for 2011 NHL entry draft. In that list no Landeskog but Armia. Is it only bias? After all he made a big effort to do that video with pictures and music. That's why made this thread. Is Armia underrated?

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
At this point he is not close to those guys, but that doesn't mean (please don't shoot me), he couldn't one day become better than those two. Larsson may end up a solid, but not great top-4 defenceman, and Landerskog a similar solid top-6 winger. Armia is still very very raw, but he has that untapped potential, which can be seen in his flashy plays. Larsson and Landeskog are much safer picks, but I can't say that they have more upside than Armia. If I would rate them the HF-way, I would say Armia is 9.0G, while Larsson is 8.5A and Landeskog 8.0B.

EDIT: Edited the grades a bit.

Last edited:

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
Nah, he's good but I would not rate him above Landeskog or Larsson. His skating really needs to get considerably better before he has even the slightest chance to make it in the NHL.

Besides, recent history shows us that Swedish prospects have a lot better chance to become impact players in the NHL, when compared to Finnish prospects

That only goes for skaters, for goaltenders its a whole other matter. ;)

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Besides, recent history shows us that Swedish prospects have a lot better chance to become impact players in the NHL, when compared to Finnish prospects.
That's the worst argument ever made and has nothing to do with comparing Armia to Larsson and Landeskog.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
At this point he is not close to those guys, but that doesn't mean (please don't shoot me), he could one day become better than those two. Larsson may end up a solid, but not great top-4 defenceman, and Landerskog a similar solid top-6 winger. Armia is still very very raw, but he has that untapped potential, which can be seen in his flashy plays. Larsson and Landeskog are much safer picks, but I can't say that they have more upside than Armia. If I would rate them the HF-way, I would say Armia is 9.0G, while Larsson is 8.5A and Landeskog 8.0B.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

9.0 means: " possesses the potential for greatness, a likely Hall of Fame candidate once his playing days are over. Think Mark Messier, Guy Lafleur, Niklas Lidstrom, Denis Potvin, Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur - definite Hall of Fame players that displayed great talent early on."

Larsson is a 9.0B
Landeskog 8.5B
Armia 8.0C

By your logic.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

9.0 means: " possesses the potential for greatness, a likely Hall of Fame candidate once his playing days are over. Think Mark Messier, Guy Lafleur, Niklas Lidstrom, Denis Potvin, Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur - definite Hall of Fame players that displayed great talent early on."

Larsson is a 9.0B
Landeskog 8.5B
Armia 8.0C

By your logic.
I just meant that he has very high potential upside, but he is very highly unlikely to reach it. Actually, now that I have checked some on those ratings, a 8.0D would be more reasonable for Armia.

EDIT: My former ratings weren't actually comparable to those of HF's. I was just making a point by using a similar method of judging a potential.

EDIT2: What do you think their grades should be?

EDIT3: Some of those "real ratings" are hilarious. Jordan Eberle a 8.5B? He scored a couple of goals at a junior game and all sudden he is the next coming of Messier.

EDIT4: Oh and BTW, aren't you that guy, who rates every Senator prospect like at least 8.5B?

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I just meant that he has very high potential upside, but he is very highly unlikely to reach it. Actually, now that I have checked some on those ratings, a 8.0D would be more reasonable for Armia.

EDIT: My former ratings weren't actually comparable to those of HF's. I was just making a point by using a similar method of judging a potential.

EDIT2: What do you think their grades should be?

EDIT3: Some of those "real ratings" are hilarious. Jordan Eberle a 8.5B? He scored a couple of goals at a junior game and all sudden he is the next coming of Messier.

EDIT4: Oh and BTW, aren't you that guy, who rates every Senator prospect like at least 8.5B?

My grades are the ones i made above a little tinkle. Change Armia to a D if you like.

Larsson: 9.0B
Landeskog: 8.5 C
Armia: 7.5/8 C/D

LOL where you get that last info from?

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Armia doesn't skate well enough at this point to be anything special. He isn't able to maneuver himself well enough around the ice to consistently place himself in scoring situations. Could turn into a guy like Penner - a 20-30 goal scorer - a guy who scores but not much else. Landeskog and Larsson are all-around players right now. Armia has such a long way to go to even be a one-dimensional player. Bad projection of him.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Armia doesn't skate well enough at this point to be anything special.
At this point that's true. But keep in mind that during last summer, he improved his skating like 100%. He's a tall and lanky youngster, who with a proper training could still improve the skating for miles. Last season Armia wasn't even a part of the U-18 national team, but this season he is 7th in goals in SM-Liiga, an elite pro league. That tells a story about his development curve.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
I don't think so but the Finns seems to be high on this guy, especially on YT. The finns acually think he's a better prospect than Landeskog and Larsson. What have I missed? Is Armia a better than prospect than what I thought? If so why isn't he among the favorites? Right now the favorites seems to be Landeskog, Larsson, RHN and Couturier. opinions, please! :help:

Youtube? Seriously?

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
He does have a high potetial, you know he's quite tall and sometimes cordination might take a litlle longer to develope so I think he's skating will be fine.

He has those Getzlaf hands and is more of a goalscorer.

He's development has been of the charts if you look at a year's time.

Last edited:

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010

:laugh:

Imbecile YT posters who know nothing seem high on the guy so you assume that the nation of finland thinks he's better than Landeskog and Larsson? Thats what your sentence literally meant. I don't think anyone on these boards has said he's a better prospect than any of those guys, even though he's getting overhyped.

It seems like the overhype on Armia is starting to rebound somehow and people are now undervaluing him. Like "With that skating he doesn't have a chance in the NHL", "Armia doesn't skate well enough at this point to be anything special" that sounds like a guy projected for the 5th round. Hyped he may be but he's still pretty much a lock for top 15 in the coming draft, so he is a very good prospect already. So even if it bothers some people that he gets too much attention on these forums they should not forget that he infact is a top prospect.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Landeskog and Larsson are top 5 picks and armia is barely top 10. Armia could be better offensive player than those both but they can play great defense. Armia is useless at defense at the moment.

cenas*

Armia doesn't skate well enough at this point to be anything special. He isn't able to maneuver himself well enough around the ice to consistently place himself in scoring situations. Could turn into a guy like Penner - a 20-30 goal scorer - a guy who scores but not much else. Landeskog and Larsson are all-around players right now. Armia has such a long way to go to even be a one-dimensional player. Bad projection of him.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/11/11/1808481/dustin-penner-shouldering-the-load-again

Penner gets ragged on way too much on these boards and in the media.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Yes yes yes!! Armia >>>> Landeskog+Larsson. Not Even Cloce!

Oh I forgot :sarcasm:

Youtube comments are the best source of hockey. Especially when it comes to juxtapositioning of Finland - Sweden.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
As of right now, Larsson and Landeskog are, by a pretty big margin, better prospects then Armia.

Nevertheless, theres always some prospects that takes monstrous leaps in their development around their late teens/early twenties. Will Armia be one of those guys? - My Magic Eight-Ball says; "Ask again later".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad