Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: The other one was locked and LazarBeams asked for a new one so I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think Jagr likes playing top line though. He prefers middle 6 IIRC. He's ok playing there in a pinch, but not as a regular. The complaint IIRC was similar to the Sedins. By TDL, the tank was getting low and play drops off.

He'd be better used more sparingly on a line with Backlund/Frolik or with Bennett Tkachuk IMO assuming Johnny and Mony take on heaviest lifting duties.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I don't think Jagr likes playing top line though. He prefers middle 6 IIRC. He's ok playing there in a pinch, but not as a regular. The complaint IIRC was similar to the Sedins. By TDL, the tank was getting low and play drops off.

He'd be better used more sparingly on a line with Backlund/Frolik or with Bennett Tkachuk IMO assuming Johnny and Mony take on heaviest lifting duties.

This is a good point. If Ferland can learn from Jagr just being on the team and bring that size, shot and boardplay, that's all we need. As MM mentioned before, it's rare a team has 3 top line players on one line.

So if Jagr is going to be used sparingly, I go back to preferring Iginla.

Jersey sales would be ridiculous if we picked up Jagr though, instead everyone would just dust of their Iggy's

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
This is a good point. If Ferland can learn from Jagr just being on the team and bring that size, shot and boardplay, that's all we need. As MM mentioned before, it's rare a team has 3 top line players on one line.

So if Jagr is going to be used sparingly, I go back to preferring Iginla.

Jersey sales would be ridiculous if we picked up Jagr though, instead everyone would just dust of their Iggy's

I'd still opt for Jagr if his contract demands aren't ridiculous (which they will be, the guy is a sellsword and really only cares about how many zero's are on his cheque).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because every time Brouwer gets mentioned you have to pump his tires, even if the person talking about him isn't that far off base.
saying he was good for 2 months isn't exactly pumping his tires. The same people that give Gaudreau a pass for having his hand injury, completely ignore that Brouwer suffered a similar injury. I'm just tired of people calling him an anchor and throwing him under the bus again before the season has even started, it's to the point where it's ****ing ********. Frankly the way the "fans" treat Flames players it's amazing to me anyone actually wants to play for this team. This fanbase is almost as pathetic as the Habs fanbase for the way they **** on their players.

Honestly, the fact I have to defend myself for defending a member of the team, is pathetic in its own-right. There is an ignore function, feel free to use it. Because I will continue to defend guys that are continually treated like garbage.

Last edited:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
saying he was good for 2 months isn't exactly pumping his tires. The same people that give Gaudreau a pass for having his hand injury, completely ignore that Brouwer suffered a similar injury. I'm just tired of people calling him an anchor and throwing him under the bus again before the season has even started, it's to the point where it's ****ing ********. Frankly the way the "fans" treat Flames players it's amazing to me anyone actually wants to play for this team. This fanbase is almost as pathetic as the Habs fanbase for the way they **** on their players.

Honestly, the fact I have to defend myself for defending a member of the team, is pathetic in its own-right. There is an ignore function, feel free to use it. Because I will continue to defend guys that are continually treated like garbage.
Like others did with Versteeg?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I understand your desire to defend him, but I would like to say that I don't think being a fan of a franchise means you have to be a fan of every individual player on the team. The only difference between Brouwer and other guys in the NHL is that he gets a greater volume of criticism; all players get it, though, and all players have their detractors.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-summer-market-matt-duchene-still-open/

Everyone decided to take a deep breath and go back to their corners when Matt Duchene wasn’t traded July 1. It sounds like everyone is realizing the possibility he could start next season in Colorado. But remember this: Avalanche assistant GM Chris MacFarland was with Scott Howson in Columbus when Howson waited until July 20, 2012, to trade Rick Nash. Sometimes the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour, and MacFarland could be following that blueprint. I wouldn’t be surprised if interested parties (Boston, Columbus, Nashville, Pittsburgh, maybe Calgary) try again to see if anything shakes loose.

Apparently we have/had interest in Duchene.

And I can see Calgary waiting to see what happens with Micheal Ferland before looking at another forward. Ferland is eligible for arbitration. A third year on any long-term deal for him is the tricky one, as that’s when he is unrestricted.

Has a date been set for Ferland's arbitration hearing?

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013
Frankly the way the "fans" treat Flames players it's amazing to me anyone actually wants to play for this team. This fanbase is almost as pathetic as the Habs fanbase for the way they **** on their players.

The Flames fan base is actually very fair to it's players, nobody throws sweaters.

People just expect an honest effort, and for players to do what they've been trumpeted to do. Something Troy Brouwer didn't provide.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

It's all about effort man, and Brouwer just sat there sucking up fat pay checks all season. I didn't see the desire or hustle from him on most nights. Earn your ****ing paycheck or get the hell off the team that I love, cheer, and cry for.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I did not like Brouwer's play last year. But pretending he wasn't trying or was just sitting back and collecting paycheques is a complete farce. I don't think that conclusion is reasonable for someone watching him play. He tried very hard and failed repeatedly.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

If you think we are pathetic for how we **** on players, you seriously need to spend time on other forums. Every single forum is this way, and we have less posters overall than many of the forums, so it seems even less significant. Go to a busier one and watch the posts pile on.

People don't like certain players in sports. It's a fact. My own father hates Iginla, and nothing I can do or say will change his mind. I just have to accept that. People aren't going to change their minds on Brouwer until he plays well enough to do so.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I did not like Brouwer's play last year. But pretending he wasn't trying or was just sitting back and collecting paycheques is a complete farce. I don't think that conclusion is reasonable for someone watching him play. He tried very hard and failed repeatedly.

Would that not then be a great example of being an anchor?

I'd love to see Brouwer have even an average season, but if he continues playing the way he did last year, fans are justified to not want someone using up valuable cap space in prime contending years. He hasn't shown he deserves otherwise.

And to make it sounds like Flames fans are throwing his jersey onto the ice and trying to drive him out of town is silly. This fan base is reacting EXACTLY how any and every other fan base would to a player who is grossly underplaying he paycheque.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
If you think we are pathetic for how we **** on players, you seriously need to spend time on other forums. Every single forum is this way, and we have less posters overall than many of the forums, so it seems even less significant. Go to a busier one and watch the posts pile on.

People don't like certain players in sports. It's a fact. My own father hates Iginla, and nothing I can do or say will change his mind. I just have to accept that. People aren't going to change their minds on Brouwer until he plays well enough to do so.

I can promise you not one NHL player reads HF boards, your facebook comments, etc, guys. Jesus you guys act like youre, well, Jesus.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I read on Friedmans 30/30 thoughts today that he thinks Calgary maybe talking to Colorado about Duchene, what would a Duchene to CGY trade look like if it was to happen, as unlikely as it sounds ??

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I read on Friedmans 30/30 thoughts today that he thinks Calgary maybe talking to Colorado about Duchene, what would a Duchene to CGY trade look like if it was to happen, as unlikely as it sounds ??

Probably Duchene for Bennett + one of our top prospects.

I want nothing to do with it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I can't imagine us working out a trade for Duchene that wouldn't gut our team in some form. Especially since Sakic is asking for the world

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Would that not then be a great example of being an anchor?

I'd love to see Brouwer have even an average season, but if he continues playing the way he did last year, fans are justified to not want someone using up valuable cap space in prime contending years. He hasn't shown he deserves otherwise.

And to make it sounds like Flames fans are throwing his jersey onto the ice and trying to drive him out of town is silly. This fan base is reacting EXACTLY how any and every other fan base would to a player who is grossly underplaying he paycheque.

[mod]
I said nothing about jerseys, not even close and honestly tossing jerseys have nothing to do with individual players, not sure why you would think otherwise.

All I have said he is he started well and got hurt. I have also suggested that he potentially played injured after that had injury as he returned faster than Gaudreau who despite returning quickly, also wore a special glove for months. Is that so hard to understand and perhaps accept as a possibility? I'm not saying he played well after his injury, but why is it so hard for you to [mod] give someone a 2nd chance?

I defend any player that gets **** on constantly, it;s not about contrarian, it's about being a proud Flames fan and defending the members of the team. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thank you.

May 27, 2012
Earth

Probably Duchene for Bennett + one of our top prospects.

I want nothing to do with it.

I can't imagine us working out a trade for Duchene that wouldn't gut our team in some form. Especially since Sakic is asking for the world

Best guess?

What if we acquired Hamonic to only flip him for Duchene and in doing so got Stone to take a friendly contract?

Woah.

Seriously tho. I don't think we can acquire him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

If they can spout their ******** putting him down, why can't I spout mine to defend him? Why is one way more okay than the other? The fact that I have to defend the way I am to you of all people, is what has me pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad