Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: The other one was locked and LazarBeams asked for a new one so I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think we're stuck in the HF boards long term play mentality. The time is now boys.

Maybe if it was actually a need or if we got rid of the Brouwer contract. I'm pretty happy with Monahan, Backlund, Bennett and Jankowski down the middle.

If they want to do Bennett, Valimaki, Brouwer, Stajan + Gillies for Duchene + Rantanen, I might consider it, but I don't see it happening.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Rantanen
Tkachuk-Duchene-Frolik
Ferland-Backlund-Foo
Versteeg-Jankowski-Lazar

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
pass. creates a new hole in order to add a luxury

Theoretically, I like moving Stajan to upgrade our wing.

We have plenty of guys that can play Center in the bottom six and can play PK. We have far less guys that can play an offensive role on wing in the top 9.

I don't really want to lose Stajan, but if it's downgrading from Stajan to Jankowski or Freddie Hamilton and adding a Jagr I'm okay with that.

Granted, it's purely hypothetical, as outside of Pittsburgh I'm not sure there are many teams in the market for a Stajan, especially at his salary. And of course, who says a Jagr comes here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Theoretically, I like moving Stajan to upgrade our wing.

We have plenty of guys that can play Center in the bottom six and can play PK. We have far less guys that can play an offensive role on wing in the top 9.

I don't really want to lose Stajan, but if it's downgrading from Stajan to Jankowski or Freddie Hamilton and adding a Jagr I'm okay with that.

Granted, it's purely hypothetical, as outside of Pittsburgh I'm not sure there are many teams in the market for a Stajan, especially at his salary. And of course, who says a Jagr comes here.
Honestly, is adding Jagr going to be that much of an upgrade over Jankowski or Brouwer if he bounces back? No. He's a 40 point winger that isn't going to bring much more than offense. Jankowski would be good for 25+ points in a top 9 role IMO, is that extra 15-20 points worth losing one of our best penalty killers? To me it's not.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Honestly, is adding Jagr going to be that much of an upgrade over Jankowski or Brouwer if he bounces back? No. He's a 40 point winger that isn't going to bring much more than offense. Jankowski would be good for 25+ points in a top 9 role IMO, is that extra 15-20 points worth losing one of our best penalty killers? To me it's not.

Agree on certain points, but I think Jagr brings a particular offensive game that is lacking in our top 9 outside of maybe Tkachuk, and that is along the boards. He is still an absolute pain in the ass to get the puck from if you are trying to take it away from him on the boards. Infinitely helpful both on the cycle and the PP.

I think the downgrade from Stajan to one of our other PK centers, whether it be Jankowski, Bennett, Freddie Hamilton etc isn't nearly as big as adding the element I mentioned. Especially if our PK has already been upgraded by adding Hamonic and Stone to it, as well as Smith who can clear the dump ins by himself.

I do agree it's a downgrade, and that from purely a points perspective there isn't a significant difference between a Brouwer bounce back, Bennett breaking out, Ferland being consistent, whatever. I just think that there is a lot that Jagr brings off the ice too. He's a great mentor for a lot of young guys, and I think that Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett can all learn a lot from him. We've seen guys like Giroux, Benn, Barkov, Huberdeau, etc all benefit from playing with him and breaking out while playing with him.

TL;DR I'm not happy to lose Stajan, but I would be happy to gain Jagr's board presence and mentorship capabilities at the cost of downgrading our 4th line center.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Agree on certain points, but I think Jagr brings a particular offensive game that is lacking in our top 9 outside of maybe Tkachuk, and that is along the boards. He is still an absolute pain in the ass to get the puck from if you are trying to take it away from him on the boards. Infinitely helpful both on the cycle and the PP.

I think the downgrade from Stajan to one of our other PK centers, whether it be Jankowski, Bennett, Freddie Hamilton etc isn't nearly as big as adding the element I mentioned. Especially if our PK has already been upgraded by adding Hamonic and Stone to it, as well as Smith who can clear the dump ins by himself.

I do agree it's a downgrade, and that from purely a points perspective there isn't a significant difference between a Brouwer bounce back, Bennett breaking out, Ferland being consistent, whatever. I just think that there is a lot that Jagr brings off the ice too. He's a great mentor for a lot of young guys, and I think that Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett can all learn a lot from him.

TL;DR I'm not happy to lose Stajan, but I would be happy to gain Jagr's board presence and mentorship capabilities at the cost of downgrading our 4th line center.

Jagr also bleeds chances offensively (I mean this in a good way). He himself does not produce that many points anymore, but his hockey IQ and experience level is so off the charts that he knows exactly the right play to make at any time. It makes the job of the guys around him exponentially easier every night - his IQ might be the only part of his game that's still at an elite level, but is it ever. If you put him with a guy like Jankowski, who plays a similarly intelligent game, they would spend every shift in the offensive zone.

I also agree about his leadership ability, I think there's a reason Florida always tried to play him with their kids. Having a guy who's had that sort of a career on the team would be fantastic.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I also agree about his leadership ability, I think there's a reason Florida always tried to play him with their kids. Having a guy who's had that sort of a career on the team would be fantastic.
Would be sick to see Tkachuk and Bennett going for midnight leg-weighted skates with the old man!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think we're stuck in the HF boards long term play mentality. The time is now boys.

When you're told by this board that you're garbage or a mid table team; I could see how some folks would really start thinking that way.

This team is in win-now and in the future mode. The way the Flames are built, makes me think of a team that'll be really competitive for the next decade.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I do agree it's a downgrade, and that from purely a points perspective there isn't a significant difference between a Brouwer bounce back, Bennett breaking out, Ferland being consistent, whatever. I just think that there is a lot that Jagr brings off the ice too. He's a great mentor for a lot of young guys, and I think that Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett can all learn a lot from him. We've seen guys like Giroux, Benn, Barkov, Huberdeau, etc all benefit from playing with him and breaking out while playing with him.

It's hilarious how opinions of Jagr changed when he came back from Russia. Before going he was widely known as a self centered jerk. Now suddenly he's this great mentor.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It's hilarious how opinions of Jagr changed when he came back from Russia. Before going he was widely known as a self centered jerk. Now suddenly he's this great mentor.

I guess I'm still too young. Growing up Jagr was still a legend, despite what happened in Washington. I remember his Hart trophy level performances with the Rangers, and what he's done since coming back does speak levels in my opinion.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I guess I'm still too young. Growing up Jagr was still a legend, despite what happened in Washington. I remember his Hart trophy level performances with the Rangers, and what he's done since coming back does speak levels in my opinion.
Personally, I think there is a good reason why a team he's been on hasn't won anything since his first couple years in the league.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

The NHL is a 'what have you done for me lately' league; and always has been. The guy was an amazing fit in Florida over the past two seasons and was highly regarded by the teammates he had there. They're going in another direction and unfortunately he's a casualty of that.

Not sure how many people out there actually dislike Jagr nowadays though :laugh: the guy's a beloved player in this league. I mean, people want Iggy back here in a leadership role, but it was the same Iggy that use to never learn systems until 2-3 months into a year.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Personally, I think there is a good reason why a team he's been on hasn't won anything since his first couple years in the league.

I don't know if that's entirely fair. The NHL isn't the NBA where one player can dominate. Plus in the past decade we've had exactly how many "true" contenders for the cup?

But to each their own I guess.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

I think that has a lot more to do with the teams he's been on not actually being any good than Jagr instilling some kind of losing culture into those teams. Since he came back from Russia everyone he's played with has spoken very highly of him without exception.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think considering the age Jagr's at, there might be a case to be made that his focus is more on how much longer he can go in the NHL rather than if he can still win anything. Which isn't to say he doesn't care about winning at all, but I think he still wants to be relevant in the NHL and underwhelming on a very good team could damage his future.

That being said, are we a good team? Time will tell, but I would welcome Jagr with open arms. He would do great here I think, but I doubt he would come here nor would he even stay very long if he did

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Hey guys, Habs fan coming in peace, just looking for some info on Sam Bennett.

As you know, Habs are looking for a C. I think the style Bennett plays is exactly what the coach/mgmt team are looking for. What happened last year with Sam?

Also, how is he at C vs W? Do you project him long term as a C or W?

Finally, are you at all open to moving him? Would the return need to be roster player(s), prospect(s), or picks? I know you moved a bunch of picks recently. What are the org needs?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hey guys, Habs fan coming in peace, just looking for some info on Sam Bennett.

As you know, Habs are looking for a C. I think the style Bennett plays is exactly what the coach/mgmt team are looking for. What happened last year with Sam?

Also, how is he at C vs W? Do you project him long term as a C or W?

Finally, are you at all open to moving him? Would the return need to be roster player(s), prospect(s), or picks? I know you moved a bunch of picks recently. What are the org needs?
The Habs have nothing we want for Bennett

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Guy on CP who had his source confirmed by a mod previously I believe says Iginla is really close to signing with the Flames. Who knows if it's actually legit, but I'm excited nonetheless.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Guy on CP who had his source confirmed by a mod previously I believe says Iginla is really close to signing with the Flames. Who knows if it's actually legit, but I'm excited nonetheless.

He also insinuated that Iggy was still shooting for the Oilers which makes me want to vomit so hard

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
As in the same rumor we heard a few pages back, or more new information?

I guess it's kinda new, but he just said it's really close. Almost a week ago now he said Iginla was gonna sign by the end of this week. So it should be anytime now? He also said that The Flames have been delaying the signing. Makes sense because we had to sign Ferly/Lazar, and now Bennett.
Again, I'm not sure I believe this, but I want to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad