Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Parts Unknown - Hey how about Bennett for Lindholm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Patience people. We have a great roster. We just need a number 4 d (hopefully Stone) a legit goalie (hopefully Elliot) and Gaudreau to return to form, and this team will be deadly. I'm starting to think Bennett should play LW with Jankowski and Brouwer though.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
We'll see what happens at the end of the season. If Bennett has 30 points in total, and Lindholm has barely anymore, and the Flames 1st rounder pick is low, and there is a piece that Carolina wants from the 1st rounder in the draft still available, I'd gladly do Bennett and a 1st for Lindholm.

I all honesty, that would be a lot like the Oilers offering their 1st + Nurse for Monahan right now. I would not add to Bennett to get a similar/lesser player.

If management decided it was time to part ways with Bennett, I'd rather move him for the Tippett pick + a promising young defenseman, than add to him for Lindholm

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Patience people. We have a great roster. We just need a number 4 d (hopefully Stone) a legit goalie (hopefully Elliot) and Gaudreau to return to form, and this team will be deadly. I'm starting to think Bennett should play LW with Jankowski and Brouwer though.

Agree, patience is the key. Some consistency with coaching / system and starting the season when important guys are not injured or missing the camp should help as well.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Essentially, reads like they want an upgrade on Chiasson and Elliott/Johnson. Strongly suggests that both Elliott and Johnson will not be back, although one of them could be. Easy guess is Johnson as Elliott isn't worth the 2018 3rd round pick.

Flames aren't interested in pure rentals so guys like Hudler/Vrbata/Parenteau/Eaves are likely not in the picture. Would expect someone in a similar situation as Elliott or Stone; UFA's (maybe RFA's) with low acquisition costs that in theory, could fit into the longterms plans if they're a good fit. So, basically age appropriate rather than post apex.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think you're reading too much into the goalie stuff, he just said he thinks Treliving is sniffing around, he said nothing about actually hearing he was. I read that as Friedman not liking our goaltending

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, Friedman's role is a little different on his radio appearances, from what I can tell. A lot of the time he's just spitballing stuff when Nichols is tweeting it out (hence why he gets annoyed by it). Actual insider stuff he publishes himself.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I mean, for what it's worth, we know Calgary has major holes on the wing and major holes in net. So Friedman saying BT's still sniffing around probably has some truth.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Pateryn for Jokipakka. Any interest?

I'm interested to see what Brad finds for a RW. Personally I think until the day we end up a goalie that wins a Vezina for us, Brad will always be looking for that upgrade if the price is right.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015

I'm interested to see what Brad finds for a RW. Personally I think until the day we end up a goalie that wins a Vezina for us, Brad will always be looking for that upgrade if the price is right.

Maybe an NHL player for not an NHL player, sure why not.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Kind of a lateral move to be honest. Pateryn is probably the better player between the two, but it's not a move that Montreal would likely be willing to do.

I can see an AHL level move coming soon. Poirier is probably in his last year of wearing the Flaming C, I could see him being shipped somewhere in a prospect for prospect swap.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
i could see us getting Fleury or Smith. Maybe even Miller. Who knows maybe now is the time to go after Grubauer.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's really hard to predict goalies.
Scott Darling might be the best of the bunch; but who knows how the guy will play when he doesn't have that Chicago team in front of him.

I'd see how Elliott plays for the next few games. After that stinker he played fairly well the rest of the way in Vancouver.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hard pass on Fleury, Miller, and Smith. We also don't have the defensive structure for Darling to thrive.

I really don't see what's so bad if we try to upgrade our D in the offseason and try again with Elliott-Johnson next year allowing us to allocate egregious amounts of cap space or assets towards a RW fix instead of another goalie

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Hard pass on Fleury, Miller, and Smith. We also don't have the defensive structure for Darling to thrive.

I really don't see what's so bad if we try to upgrade our D in the offseason and try again with Elliott-Johnson next year allowing us to allocate egregious amounts of cap space or assets towards a RW fix instead of another goalie

They're both 30/31 year old UFA's, most likely looking for some term.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We would be waiting a long time.

In the sense of do we ride Elliot for 2 years and hope Gilles pans out sort of thing.

But yes, generally not a fan of just getting stopgaps in the hope that one of our prospects pan out. In an ideal world we keep drafting and developing goalies. If we have two legit ones, well that is just trade bait then.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just throwing this out there, but if my math is correct the Flames can still have about 2.85 million in LTIR space they can use on deadline acquisitions. This would would give them enough space to add about $11.25 million in total AAV.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
In the sense of do we ride Elliot for 2 years and hope Gilles pans out sort of thing.

But yes, generally not a fan of just getting stopgaps in the hope that one of our prospects pan out. In an ideal world we keep drafting and developing goalies. If we have two legit ones, well that is just trade bait then.

Have we developed a successful goalie since Vernon? I can't think of one.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I had a discussion with a friend and the "Management doesn't retain salary" discussion came back up. I am of the opinion that management may retain on an expiring UFA as previously discussed. I was musing about the idea that possibly, the salary retained on the Stone contract by Arizona might be the max amount they retain on Wideman. Sorta like a zero sum game.

Yea or Nay?

Could Treliving convince management to allow him to retain up to the amount that was retained on Stone to move a guy like Wideman or bump up the pick, arguing a zero sum game due to the amount paid by Arizona? Or are we in the trenches of, "Totally unplausible!"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I had a discussion with a friend and the "Management doesn't retain salary" discussion came back up. I am of the opinion that management may retain on an expiring UFA as previously discussed. I was musing about the idea that possibly, the salary retained on the Stone contract by Arizona might be the max amount they retain on Wideman. Sorta like a zero sum game.

Yea or Nay?

Could Treliving convince management to allow him to retain up to the amount that was retained on Stone to move a guy like Wideman or bump up the pick, arguing a zero sum game due to the amount paid by Arizona? Or are we in the trenches of, "Totally unplausible!"

To be honest. I had the same thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad