Armchair GM Thread - Part LXXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
With the Sharks looking like they'll have a top 10 pick, at the draft I would look at moving Eddie Lack + our 1st round pick for their top 10 pick (likely 9th overall). Mathew Barzal being my clear target. If Lack has a solid playoffs I wonder if this is something they might go for?

I also want to do this very badly.

We need a centre with the skill of Barzal.

I'd be willing to do something along the lines of:

2015 1st + Lack + Gaunce

That's maximum of course, if we could get it for Lack + Our 1st, then all for it.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I'd agree but Benning has expressed that he really likes having Higgins as part of the team so I have a hard time seeing him moved. Also, moving Higgins doesn't provide the cap relief we need so if he were the one to go, others would have to follow as well.

I'm starting to think two of Hamhuis/Bieksa/Burrows will be moved this off-season (unless they can move Miller, of course).

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I'd agree but Benning has expressed that he really likes having Higgins as part of the team so I have a hard time seeing him moved. Also, moving Higgins doesn't provide the cap relief we need so if he were the one to go, others would have to follow as well.

I'm starting to think two of Hamhuis/Bieksa/Burrows will be moved this off-season (unless they can move Miller, of course).

I don't think the cap is going to be a big problem. Moving Higgins would likely be all it takes to ice the forwards I listed and re-sign Weber.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Depending on what the cap ends up at will depend on who gets moved, if the cap escalator is incorporated than the Canucks aren't going to need to move a lot of cap. Higgins 2.5M would do if they can find a cheap 4th line center who is an upgrade on Vey (Richardson won't be back). If the cap escalator isn't incorporated than the Canucks will need to move more cap but not as much as the 6-9M that you are saying in the above post unless Benning see's a FA that he must have, which I don't think there will be this summer.

I think the Canucks will need to move 1.5-2.5M with the escalated cap and 4-4.5M with the non escalated cap.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I don't think the cap is going to be a big problem. Moving Higgins would likely be all it takes to ice the forwards I listed and re-sign Weber.

I'm not entirely sure of that. We're currently sitting at $66.64m cap with the following signed:

D. Sedin (7)
H. Sedin (7)
Vrbata (5)
Burrows (4.5)
Higgins (2.5)
Hansen (2.5)
Bonino (1.9)
Kassian (1.75)
Dorsett (2.65)
Horvat (1.74)

Edler (5)
Bieksa (4.6)
Hamhuis (4.5)
Sbisa (3.6)
Tanev (4.45)

Miller (6)
Lack (1.15)
Luongo retained (0.8)

The cap is expected to be around $71.5m if the NHLPA elects to escalate the cap or $68.8m if they elect not to. That's $1.86m or $4.86m to fill 6 roster spots depending on how they vote.

Baertschi's cap hit is $1.425 so that's a net savings of $1.075 cap space if Baertschi replaced Higgins. That leaves $2.935-5.935m to fill 6 roster spots (albeit low-end roster spots).

It's certainly doable if it's the high-end of that spectrum, but it's extremely tight and the quality of players probably won't be very high. It also doesn't leave room for flexibility or improvement (Linden said the organization has identified defense as an area they're looking to improve).

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Baertschi's cap hit is $1.425 so that's a net savings of $1.075 cap space if Baertschi replaced Higgins. That leaves $2.935-5.935m to fill 6 roster spots (albeit low-end roster spots).

Baertschi is a RFA. His cap hit will be lower than that 1.425M that you mention as that cap hit includes all the ELC bonuses.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Trading Burrows would be a disaster, guy is worth his contract without any doubt.

Every player on this roster is worth his contract even Bieksa is worth his salary (2M) next season. Someone's gotta be shipped out and my money is on one of Gillis' guys.

Of our RWs:
Vrbata
Burrows
Kassian
Hansen
Dorsett (least likely to move)

The writing is on the wall...

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Every player on this roster is worth his contract even Bieksa is worth his salary (2M) next season. Someone's gotta be shipped out and my money is on one of Gillis' guys.

Of our RWs:
Vrbata
Burrows
Kassian
Hansen

Trading him would been absolutely moronic. He's a 20/20 player that drives possession better than any Canuck forward not named Sedin, is among the best defensive wingers in hockey and is a huge part of our leadership group. Alex Burrows would retire a Vancouver Canuck if I were in charge of the team.

Don't forget that Burrows is a natural left wing. I'm a Higgins fan, but I'd trade him long before I'd trade Burrows.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Of our RWs:
Vrbata
Burrows
Kassian
Hansen

Dorsett, Hansen and Burrows can all play LW effectively too.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Burrows is hands down the most versatile forward on the team. He will literally do and perform anything asked of him. He fits in on any line, can PP, PK, and defend our teammates. There is not a thing he can't do to be honest. Trading Burrows is the last thing this team needs.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Dorsett, Hansen and Burrows can all play LW effectively too.

...and for some reason they haven't.

LW:
Sedin
Higgins ("important glue guy")
Kenins
Baertschi
Matthias (likely gone)

I think Kassian is gonna be moved out this summer. Hansen could be gone too, it doesn't make sense to have Dorsett/Hansen play the same role for 5M. It didn't make sense to keep Dorsett either but this isn't the Benning thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad