Armchair GM Thread - Part LXXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Doubt it. And I doubt he'd clear waivers this time either. Some team will see what he did in the AHL and think he's worthy of a backup spot.

At this point given what Lack did when Miller went down, as long as he doesn't crap the bed in the playoffs I'd keep Lack around and transition to him as the starter.

Agreed, also you never know he could actually pass through waivers considering he still has absolutely no NHL success. Plus even teams like the Oiler have young goalies ( Laurent brossoit, Bachman) that have proved themselves more.

Alflives*

Phaneuf would return a kings ransom if traded. Especially with salary retained.
Washed up 6th D and mid prospects wouldn't get you anywhere.

We can't afford him.

Oh, I thought Dion's value has dropped a lot, considering the offer Detroit made at the deadline was the best the Leafs got. I still think we could get him for a lot less than you think. On our team he's a second pairing guy, who would be on the PK. He would be behind Tanev and Edler. He plays the right side, and could slip in beside Hamhuis.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Actual lines should be, given who is apparently healthy now that BR is practicing,

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata
Higgins - Richardson - Matthias
Kenins - Horvat - Hansen
Dorsett - Vey

I know that will never happen, they just paid Dorsett 2.6M for some reason and Sven's in the AHL, but I wish it would. I just needed to tye it out somewhere.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Actual lines should be, given who is apparently healthy now that BR is practicing,

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata
Higgins - Richardson - Matthias
Kenins - Horvat - Hansen
Dorsett - Vey

I know that will never happen, they just paid Dorsett 2.6M for some reason and Sven's in the AHL, but I wish it would. I just needed to tye it out somewhere.

Baertschi had a good game against a listless Oilers team. But he's a diamond in the rough in many aspects of his game. Unless necessary you don't smooth that diamond out in the playoffs. You go with who got you to the dance.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Oh, I thought Dion's value has dropped a lot, considering the offer Detroit made at the deadline was the best the Leafs got. I still think we could get him for a lot less than you think. On our team he's a second pairing guy, who would be on the PK. He would be behind Tanev and Edler. He plays the right side, and could slip in beside Hamhuis.

I would love to get Phaneuf, as I think he is highly underrated. Unfortunately, he is just too expensive both in assets to acquire and his contract. Even without the Sbisa/Dorsett renewals, we would have had trouble absorbing 7M. If Toronto does entertain retaining salary, then Phaneuf's value goes up.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Bonino - Vrbata
Dorsett - Richardson - Matthias
Kenins - Horvat - Hansen
Vey -

Richardson and Matthias took 4th line rushes at practice today with Dorsett so lines would most likely look like this (bolded).

I actually really like this. We'd then have Vey and Mcmillan (meh) as scratches and Kassian still injured most likely ready as soon as we get our first injury on fw, then of course Baertschi for emergency purposes.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
I miss Capgeek so much.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Bärtschi-Bonino-Vrbata
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Richardson-Dorsett
Vey-Kenins

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Sbisa-Bieksa
Stanton-Clendening

Lack
Miller

Could we afford this next year?

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Mike Richard might be bought out? maybe try to sign him on a bargain price?

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Bärtschi-Bonino-Vrbata
Kenins-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Richard-Virtanen
Dorsett

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I miss Capgeek so much.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Bärtschi-Bonino-Vrbata
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Richardson-Dorsett
Vey-Kenins

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Sbisa-Bieksa
Stanton-Clendening

Lack
Miller

Could we afford this next year?

Unfortunately no.

If the cap escalator kicks in and the cap is 71.6M as has been reported than the Canucks will have to let Richardson walk or trade someone like Higgins to keep Richardson or acquire someone like him.

If the cap escalator doesn't kick in and the cap is 68.2M as has been reported than the Canucks will have to find a way to move someone like Bieksa/Burrows/Miller to make room. And I think I know which 2 the fanbase will want to see moved...

The x factor is how much bonus cushion room the Canucks will have with Horvat's contract and potentially another ELC on the roster.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
If Benning gets rid of cap by getting Miller and/or Bieksa off the team then I wouldn't mind the signings too much.

But if he gets rid of Hansen/Burrows/Higgins then I'll be extremely frustrated.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
If Benning gets rid of cap by getting Miller and/or Bieksa off the team then I wouldn't mind the signings too much.

But if he gets rid of Hansen/Burrows/Higgins then I'll be extremely frustrated.

I hope Benning trades Miller

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Baertschi/Higgins - Bonino - Vrbata
Burrows - Horvat - Hansen
Virtanen - Richardson - Dorsett
Higgins/Baertschi
Vey

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Bieksa
Clendening

Lack
Markstrom

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think the plan was to inflate Miller's value and trade him off this Summer without keeping any salary. It could still happen, Miller might do something in the playoffs. Is a valuable Miller somebody you want to shift, though? I do not think Markstrom is a part of the plan, moving forward. Miller might be retained.

It looks, to me, like they are comfortable with Tanev and Edler leading the defense. If they move Bieksa and Hamhuis, they free up some space. Canucks are pretty ruthless with older defensemen, so I don't expect (Gillis awarded) NTCs to be an issue.

The forward group is also facing push from younger players. I don't think Burrows or Higgins will be around next season. They are saleable assets, though. Benning has mentioned he wants to have more picks this draft. They have to be paid for. Converting older players is good practice.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
We have 13 forwards signed who have to be on the roster or waived. (It would be dumb to send horvat or kenins down). That means it's all but guaranteed that Richardson and Matthias will not be back.

Sedin Sedin burrows
Higgins bonino vrbata
Dorsett vey kassian
Kenins horvat Hansen
Baertschi

If anyone were to be traded my bet is kassian being the main option (unfortunately) or Higgins to free up cap space. Realistically I see no moves being made up front until training camp to see if baertschi can fill one of these 2 guys spots.

I see virtanen being the only real competition for the 13 players with a locked up roster spot. Maybe an ahl fodder signing that impresses but ultimately gets sent down unless he beats out kenins.

On defense we have:

Hamhuis corrado
Edler Tanev
Sbisa bieksa
Clendenning

Unless Higgins is moved up front and we replace him with baertschi, weber is gone unless he is willing to sign for 1.5M or less I believe. Corrado would be sent down as he is not waiver eligible.

Corrado, Hutton, that one ahl fodder guy who impresses will compete for the spot corrado is listed at. Realistically Hutton has close to no chance but from what I've heard of him he could impress enough! If weber is brought back then none of these guys make the team as it would require waiving someone or trading someone. With Tanev and weber being newly re-signed and the vets having ntcs, that leaves clendenning and I doubt he is moved so soon.

Miller
Markstrom

Ideally miller is traded. Only teams in the market for a goalie are Sj and edm. Miller might be a little too old for their likings if the gm for each respective team seems their team as a rebuilding team. However that doesn't mean they won't want the stability if it comes relatively cheap.

Realistically though, lack is the one being moved. This is why he is not listed on the roster. Both those teams would have much more interest in him plus lack doesn't have a ntc like miller. Miller is unlikely to waive to go to edm but hey I could be wrong maybe he won't like playing second fiddle if that's the only alternative we present. But is he willing to go the distance and see if we move Markstrom for cheap instead or keep the logjam in net yet another season before he's willing to waive? We could also threaten him with waivers but that's really just a fantasy idea. The chances of benning strong arming miller like that is basically none.

Hated the miller signing when it was announced, thought it was 1-2 years too many and 1-2M too much as realistically we were his only option unless he was willing to play in Alberta or ny. Hate it even more today knowing it might very well cost us lack.

Trades: lack to Sj for a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year.

should be a boring summer unless miller is moved. We have no cap space or roster spots open so really the only free agents we will bring in are cheap reclamation projects and ahl fodder to create competition for depth spots but ultimately replace the vets let go in Utica

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I think the plan was to inflate Miller's value and trade him off this Summer without keeping any salary. It could still happen, Miller might do something in the playoffs. Is a valuable Miller somebody you want to shift, though? I do not think Markstrom is a part of the plan, moving forward. Miller might be retained.

That would be an awful use of cap space if they did.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
With the Sharks looking like they'll have a top 10 pick, at the draft I would look at moving Eddie Lack + our 1st round pick for their top 10 pick (likely 9th overall). Mathew Barzal being my clear target. If Lack has a solid playoffs I wonder if this is something they might go for?

The Jesus*

With the Sharks looking like they'll have a top 10 pick, at the draft I would look at moving Eddie Lack + our 1st round pick for their top 10 pick (likely 9th overall). Mathew Barzal being my clear target. If Lack has a solid playoffs I wonder if this is something they might go for?

That is a no brainer deal for us, which makes me think San Jose wouldn't like it very much. They gotta rebuild, pretty sure they're not to keen on moving way down in the draft to get a goalie.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That is a no brainer deal for us, which makes me think San Jose wouldn't like it very much. They gotta rebuild, pretty sure they're not to keen on moving way down in the draft to get a goalie.

I personally think goaltending is their biggest weakness.

They do need to transition away from the Thornton-Marleau core, but they have guys like Couture, Pavelski, Wingels, etc. who can take over the reigns. They also have some good young defensemen as well. In net the situation seems to be a bit of a mess.

It would be more of a retool for the Sharks than a rebuild.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Unfortunately no.

If the cap escalator kicks in and the cap is 71.6M as has been reported than the Canucks will have to let Richardson walk or trade someone like Higgins to keep Richardson or acquire someone like him.

If the cap escalator doesn't kick in and the cap is 68.2M as has been reported than the Canucks will have to find a way to move someone like Bieksa/Burrows/Miller to make room. And I think I know which 2 the fanbase will want to see moved...

The x factor is how much bonus cushion room the Canucks will have with Horvat's contract and potentially another ELC on the roster.

Bonus cushion doesn't change much, just calculate using the player's base salary and that'll give you a good idea of how much room they have.

Anyway, here's a rough outline of the team as it stands now. About $66M with 10 forwards and 5 defensemen signed:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata
______-Horvat-Hansen
Dorsett-______-Kassian
_______
_______

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-______
Sbisa-Bieksa
________

Miller
Lack

And if you add in the waiver eligible RFAs (Baertschi, Vey, Clendening) then you're probably at $68.5-69M with 3 roster spots left to fill. Could be OK or could be an utter disaster depending on where the cap is next season.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Bonus cushion doesn't change much, just calculate using the player's base salary and that'll give you a good idea of how much room they have.

Anyway, here's a rough outline of the team as it stands now. About $66M with 10 forwards and 5 defensemen signed:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata
______-Horvat-Hansen
Dorsett-______-Kassian
_______
_______

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-______
Sbisa-Bieksa
________

Miller
Lack

And if you add in the waiver eligible RFAs (Baertschi, Vey, Clendening) then you're probably at $68.5-69M with 3 roster spots left to fill. Could be OK or could be an utter disaster depending on where the cap is next season.

Baertschi, Vey, and Clendening will all be on the team next year (unless traded). I also would be surprised if Virtanen doesn't get a long look, unless he looks out of place at training camp. I think, unless he rips it up at training camp, Shinkaruk will likely start in the AHL but will probably be a call-up at some point in the season. You also have to make a spot for Kenins on the 4th line somewhere.

Still wouldn't be surprised to see Kassian moved based on the rumours that were spread throughout this season. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Higgins or Hansen moved.

Alflives*

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata
______-Horvat-Hansen
Dorsett-______-Kassian
_______
_______

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-______
Sbisa-Bieksa
________

Miller
Lack

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata
Kinninis - Horvat-Hansen
Dorsett-Gaunce-Kassian
Vey
Bartchi (sp)

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Phaneuf at 5.5 million
Sbisa-Corrado
The big russian guy; what's his name?

Miller
Lack

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
No clue what JB and Linden have in-store.

However, I get the feeling they want:

a) to move one of Burrows, Higgins or Hansen

b) convince one of Hamhuis or Bieksa to waive their NTC

If JB convinces KB3 to waive and they get good value for him, I'll somewhat forgive him for give a pizza delivery man $3.6M for the next 3 years.

For now.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

I love Lack, and I'm not the biggest fan of Miller (especially his contract), but if you can get the 9th overall for Lack and a late 1st? That's an amazing deal. Especially considering we moved Schneider for the 9th without adding a first. I can't imagine they would offer that deal, but now I have a dream, thank you.

The downside is that if we move Lack instead of Miller, our cap situation isn't great.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
With the Canucks saying they're looking to re-sign Weber and they have many options to deal with the cap, I think it's evident they will be making some pretty big moves in order to free up salary in the coming off-season.

Sedins and Vrbata are almost certainly off the table. Given that Benning has expressed how much he likes Higgins and has recently re-signed Tanev, Sbisa, and Dorsett, I don't think those guys are moving either. That leaves Edler (very unlikely), Hamhuis (also unlikely), Bieksa (also unlikely), Burrows (probably unlikely), Hansen, and Miller (difficult) as big-ish salary guys who could be moved.

Any guesses on how things play out?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Any guesses on how things play out?

IMO you have to move Higgins. Frees up cap, the team is deep on the wing and integrating more skilled youth should once again be the objective.

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Baertschi Bonino Vrbata
Kenins Horvat Hansen
Burrows XXX Dorsett
Vey

Puts youth in more prominent roles, with Burrows able to slide up the line up to replace any young forwards not performing.

The 2nd line is the perfect place to slot a skilled left winger like Baertschi into. 2 vets to shelter him defensively, while all 3 guys like to play the give-and-go game. Wouldn't be surprised to see a TON of chemistry with that trio.

Don't see any reason to bring back both of Higgins/Burrows. One should go IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad