Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Why? Under Barry Trotz the Cap have been one of best regular season team's but come playoffs, they don't go far. Same thing happened in Nashville with Barry Trotz.
Because I don't think that a coach changes their style specifically for game 7s. If his system is one of the best in the NHL for 90 games a year why do other teams suddenly figure it out with his season on the line and then go back to losing against the Caps?

I think if he were doing something wrong it would show up in more than just the playoffs. The Capitals just simply haven't been good enough to win it IMO.

Reactions: snipetype

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Trotz coached a ****ing expansion team in Nashville and they always severely lacked offensive talent during his tenure there. He instilled in them the identity they have now, he is a big reason they are contenders now. But after a decade or however long he was there, it was simply time for a change.

Barry Totrz did coach "a f***ing" expansion team but in that decade, he never could take them over the hump. when Barry Trotz came to Washington, he was not coaching an expansion team, he had one of the best players in the world and a very good supporting cast around them and he still could not do shit.

I don't know who the next coach will be(it might be GG) but we should not leave any stone unturned for this search. If I am interviewing Barry Tortz, I ask him the question, "Why have your team's never have postseason success despite being a very good regular season team" and not take him freaking mountain climbing.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Because I don't think that a coach changes their style specifically for game 7s. If his system is one of the best in the NHL for 90 games a year why do other teams suddenly figure it out with his season on the line and then go back to losing against the Caps?

I think if he were doing something wrong it would show up in more than just the playoffs. The Capitals just simply haven't been good enough to win it IMO.

It goes further than Washington, even in Nashville, they had some very good regular only to be blown out in the playoffs.

Let's assume, he comes here, are we a better team than the Capitals? If he can't take the Capitals deep into the playoffs, what are the chances he does it with this team?

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Why? Barry Tortz has never won ****. His team's always choke, if he can't get the Caps past the 3rd round he is a **** coach.

Not that there's any truth to this, but even if there was, I'd rather be choking in the playoffs year after year, than just barely sniffing at the post season year after year.

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Not that there's any truth to this, but even if there was, I'd rather be choking in the playoffs year after year, than just barely sniffing at the post season year after year.

There is truth to this, my dear sir. I would like to win some Stanley Cups. I would be ok with Barry Tortz as the head coach but it would be very interesting to see what he can do in the playoffs with this team.

On CP, they are going crazy to Eric Francis saying that, "some players mailed it in during the stretch run", I just can't seem to get the audio working, of someone can please get it working, let us know what Eric Francis said.

Eric Francis on the Flames: 'found ways to lose games when it mattered the most' - Sportsnet.ca

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I always pump the brakes when it comes to narratives about coaches and players having consistent poor results in the playoffs. The playoffs are the ultimate small sample size. And just statistically, the runs that guys like Boudreau have of bad results in the playoffs are completely within reason even if they aren't in any way worse in the playoffs. May seem silly to say, but every player and coach who has ever won the Stanley Cup had never won the Stanley Cup before they won the Stanley Cup.

I mean, take Joel Quenneville, for instance. Now considered a playoff coaching genius, but look at his history leading up to that championship. He was the coach of a very successful St. Louis Blues team that reached the playoffs 7 years in a row under him, and he won five series in that time, making it to the conference finals once. In three seasons in Colorado, he never made it past the second round. Then he heads to Chicago and suddenly is a playoff wizard.

Given the playoffs are under such a microscope, we as fans, and the media as well, just absolutely fall in love with narratives about how every result must have a story behind it. Coincidences and runs of statistically-reasonable bad results just aren't accepted, but it's just the truth of reality. If Thornton never goes deep in the playoffs, it can't just be a run of bad results where his team just gets narrowly edged by another team every year. No, it has to be all Thornton's fault. He must be a choker. Until one year he makes it to the SCF and everyone stops talking about it.

Who's to say it can't be the same with Boudreau, for instance?

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
OK, my one plan is this and it's fairly conservative -

1. New coaching staff - last crack for this group to show it's the coaching (Hartley, Gulutzan)
2. Embrace youth and see what happens. Keep cap space for 2019 and on
3. Trade Stone to Toronto for 2018 3rd, Matt Martin. 1.0 M savings next two seasons. Gain a pick. Martin is our "Lucic" answer. Also a cheaper buyout option
4. Brouwer to Vegas for Jon Merrill (we retain $2.0)
4. If 2019 is similar to this year then Ferland, Frolik, Brodie, Hamonic and Smith at the trade deadline should get us at least two 2019 late firsts, a bunch of 2nds/3rds and some mid range prospects that can fill in spots (the "Ranger" plan - quick retool). Likely Dube, Valimaki, Kylington and Mangiapane can step in with those prospects for 2019-20.

2018-19 roster:

Smith/Rittich/Gillies (training camp battle for #2)

Hamilton/Giordano
Hamonic/Brodie
Kulak/Andersson
Merrill

Gaudreau-Monohan-Bennett (just do this and stick to it)
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Foo
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Martin-Shore-Lazar
Klimchuk/Hathaway

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I always pump the brakes when it comes to narratives about coaches and players having consistent poor results in the playoffs. The playoffs are the ultimate small sample size. And just statistically, the runs that guys like Boudreau have of bad results in the playoffs are completely within reason even if they aren't in any way worse in the playoffs. May seem silly to say, but every player and coach who has ever won the Stanley Cup had never won the Stanley Cup before they won the Stanley Cup.

I mean, take Joel Quenneville, for instance. Now considered a playoff coaching genius, but look at his history leading up to that championship. He was the coach of a very successful St. Louis Blues team that reached the playoffs 7 years in a row under him, and he won five series in that time, making it to the conference finals once. In three seasons in Colorado, he never made it past the second round. Then he heads to Chicago and suddenly is a playoff wizard.

Given the playoffs are under such a microscope, we as fans, and the media as well, just absolutely fall in love with narratives about how every result must have a story behind it. Coincidences and runs of statistically-reasonable bad results just aren't accepted, but it's just the truth of reality. If Thornton never goes deep in the playoffs, it can't just be a run of bad results where his team just gets narrowly edged by another team every year. No, it has to be all Thornton's fault. He must be a choker. Until one year he makes it to the SCF and everyone stops talking about it.

Who's to say it can't be the same with Boudreau, for instance?
Excellent post AS

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Would go for him but don't want the Flames to piss away the prime years of Johnny Gaudreau as a Flame.
He turned Valeri Bure into a star in this league. Imagine what he could do with Gaudreau?

In all seriousness I'd like to see if Trotz remains without a contract - and I'd be willing to consider AV as well as Lindy Ruff (if he's not hired as AV's replacement)

I'm not convinced this is a team that is built to suit a coaching style like Darryl Sutter would implement - change my mind.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
What if we just cleaned out the assistant coaches? I think we've all agreed that in the end it was our special teams that did us in down the stretch. Cameron's power play was embarrassing.

Personally I'm right on the fence between firing the coaching staff and letting GG grow with the team. I'd be ok with giving GG another shot (hoping for similar outcomes Jets, Avs, Flyers etc saw when they didn't fire Maurice, Bednar and Hakstol), but at the VERY least, Cameron has to go.

Why can't Trotz be hired as an assistant coach? We've been seeing lots of ex-head coaches take on that role.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
What if we just cleaned out the assistant coaches? I think we've all agreed that in the end it was our special teams that did us in down the stretch. Cameron's power play was embarrassing.

Personally I'm right on the fence between firing the coaching staff and letting GG grow with the team. I'd be ok with giving GG another shot (hoping for similar outcomes Jets, Avs, Flyers etc saw when they didn't fire Maurice, Bednar and Hakstol), but at the VERY least, Cameron has to go.

Why can't Trotz be hired as an assistant coach? We've been seeing lots of ex-head coaches take on that role.

I mentioned this on the mainboards and it echos my feelings too. If there were no better options available, I wouldn't hate it if we gave Gully another shot (but on a short leash) if we had someone better manning the power play.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Trotz simply might not be willing, and given the likely coaching turnover this season, I'd think he likely finds a better position.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Trotz simply might not be willing, and given the likely coaching turnover this season, I'd think he likely finds a better position.
For sure, but the same idea could apply to any other coach us fans have considered. Keep GG for another year and hire a top quality assistant (or two). Lowers the risk of the team under performing in (another) new system.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Is anyone else a bit disappointed in dougies numbers looking at the end of year results? Less even strength production this year, obviously less PP time, still though only 21st for points by a defenseman. It’s great production and hopefully it’ll really improve with more PP time and a better roster next year, but I really expected bigger numbers (60ish points) this year.

In no way does this mean I want him gone, he’s our future #1 and it would do nothing but hurt this team to trade him

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Is anyone else a bit disappointed in dougies numbers looking at the end of year results? Less even strength production this year, obviously less PP time, still though only 21st for points by a defenseman. It’s great production and hopefully it’ll really improve with more PP time and a better roster next year, but I really expected bigger numbers (60ish points) this year.

In no way does this mean I want him gone, he’s our future #1 and it would do nothing but hurt this team to trade him

Something is up with Dougie. Everybody else was at garbage bag day including UFA's that likely won't be re-signed in Stajan and Versteeg. It wouldn't surprise me if Dougie has asked for a trade quietly. Since the trade deadline he was allowed to free-wheel and put up decent point totals. Personally I think there is something up with Ottawa and is the reason BT and other levels of management were so active in the Sens organization.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Nah, I thought his numbers were fine. The thing to remember is that he's not a pure offensive defenceman, and besides that, he's in a system that seems, at least on the surface, to have really minimized offence from the defence. I take his numbers along with his very solid play with Gio any day of the week at that price tag. Maybe if he was making Pernell Karl money, it's a different story, but he's not. He's making under $6M, which is crazy good value for what he brings, in my opinion.

Reactions: Cyrano

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

When one out of four lines scores over 80 freaking games, your numbers are going to drop.

When your system has you shooting into 8 people in front of the net, it's going to be hard to score goals.

Guy still lead the league in goals after a horrible offensive first half and almost no PP time for 2/3's of the season.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gaudreau is the only untouchable piece in this organization imo.

Monahan only if it’s part of a trade to get a #1C (ie Eichel).

I’d be all for going after Holtby though

Philly

2nd
5th

For

Mike Smith (bridges the gap to Hart)

Buff

Stone

For
4th

Wsh

Kylington
4th (Buffalo)
2nd (Philly)
5th

For

Holtby

I Pity The Foo

Jan 11, 2012
Victoria BC
Gaudreau is the only untouchable piece in this organization imo.

Monahan only if it’s part of a trade to get a #1C (ie Eichel).

I’d be all for going after Holtby though

Philly

2nd
5th

For

Mike Smith (bridges the gap to Hart)

Buff

Stone

For
4th

Wsh

Kylington
4th (Buffalo)
2nd (Philly)
5th

For

Holtby
your not going to get holtby for spare parts. As much as people think goalies hold no value Brodie for holtby is fair value

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Other than trading a d-man for a scorer everything else is lateral moves.

Dougie for Brandon Saad and Nashvilles first Overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig