Armchair GM Thread LXXXIV: 'Tyler Myers = Key To Success' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think your assumption is likely correct.

If so, my next assertion on this is that Benning may have made his call between Matthias and Higgins. He wants to retain Matthias and so is moving Higgins. Instead of the opposite, where he would be trading Matthias and then moving Higgins down to the 3LW.

arsmaster*

I didn't say he was overpaid . He is signed to a fair contract . He makes what he should be making . I would rate him a a good 3/4 guy on a contender. Orpik and Niskanen are grossly overpaid .

The market would pay him more but I get your point.

If he cap ever gets over $80m it's going to be such a mind **** when solid stay at home 2nd pair dmen start pulling in close to $7m/yr.

I miss the days when 4 years and $13m got you a stud top 4 defender like Ohlund, Mitchell or Salo.

Blob Mckenzie*

Point taken . Yeah with the dearth of good defenceman these days , the second pairing guys will be raking in the coin for the for the next few years it seems . What will a guy like Johhny Boychuck get this summer ? Six years at 36 million ? Yikes !

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if Boychuk gets exactly the contract you just mentioned. Solid defensemen are probably the most highly valued pieces right now other than #1 centres. Over half the league is looking to upgrade their defense.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I know it's unlikely that a major trade takes place but if Bennington decides to rebuild

Eriksson (4.25)
Kelly (3)
Lucic (6)
Krug (1.4)

For

Kassian (1.75)
Matthias (1.75)
Higgins (2.5)
Bieska (4.5)

Maybe you take out Kelly and Matthais but the premise is Boston frees up 4 m in cap space, vancouver gets the player with the most value (Lucic) and younger on defence. Not sure I like this deal but something along this line. I think Boston is in cap trouble next year when krejci gets his raise and Krug and Hamilton are RFA's.

Would love to trade cap space for Boston's first, but would love Hamilton (pipe dream)

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I know it's unlikely that a major trade takes place but if Bennington decides to rebuild

Eriksson (4.25)
Kelly (3)
Lucic (6)
Krug (1.4)

For

Kassian (1.75)
Matthias (1.75)
Higgins (2.5)
Bieska (4.5)

Maybe you take out Kelly and Matthais but the premise is Boston frees up 4 m in cap space, vancouver gets the player with the most value (Lucic) and younger on defence. Not sure I like this deal but something along this line. I think Boston is in cap trouble next year when krejci gets his raise and Krug and Hamilton are RFA's.

Would love to trade cap space for Boston's first, but would love Hamilton (pipe dream)

How is that a rebuild when we're giving up youth for veterans?

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
If so, my next assertion on this is that Benning may have made his call between Matthias and Higgins. He wants to retain Matthias and so is moving Higgins. Instead of the opposite, where he would be trading Matthias and then moving Higgins down to the 3LW.

If so then a young player will most likely be replacing Higgins not Matthias. Matthias will merely be staying as the 3LW. I have a hard time seeing Matthias in our top six.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
How is that a rebuild when we're giving up youth for veterans?

Krug and Kassian are both younger players.

I think you flip Lucic to a contender and get a first and a prospect.

The other players all net out IMO Bieska and Higgins are not youthful and Matthias is an FA.

I think Jim might take a cap space hit trade to help out Boston. I would prefer Hamilton to be the return but it seems unlikely. It could easily be something smaller like Eriksson, Kelly and Krug for Higgins, Matthais and say Sibisa but I don't think Krug alone is worth eating that much cap.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

Eriksson (4.25)
Kelly (3)
Lucic (6)
Krug (1.4)

For

Kassian (1.75)
Matthias (1.75)
Higgins (2.5)
Bieska (4.5)

Why would Boston ever do this?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Dont want Matthias, Hansen, or Kassian traded.

Higgins, Burrows, Sestito are all fair game. Guys Im interested in from Boston Kohklachev, Smith, and Krug to a lesser extent.

Either way I think Benning has the upper hand in a trade with Boston. He knows the Bruins roster wayyy better than Chiarelli knows the Canucks roster.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Eriksson (4.25)
Kelly (3)
Lucic (6)
Krug (1.4)

For

Kassian (1.75)
Matthias (1.75)
Higgins (2.5)
Bieska (4.5)

So in a 4 for 4 trade, Boston gives up the best and second best player in the deal. Maybe even arguably the third best.

I'm sure they'd be all over this.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Eriksson (4.25)
Kelly (3)
Lucic (6)
Krug (1.4)

For

Kassian (1.75)
Matthias (1.75)
Higgins (2.5)
Bieska (4.5)

Boston punches us in the face for proposing such a bad deal.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I still like the earlier mention of a Jensen for Joe Morrow sort of swap.

Bruins get a sub-$900k winger (this year and next, when their cap problems are only going to get worse) with a bit of size (small dose of the heaviness Chiarelli wants) who could potentially pot a few alongside a wizard like Krejci.

Canucks get a much needed young blueliner to add to a shallow pool. And he should be able to play a little bit while Hamhuis is out.

Might have to incorporate a cap-dump sort of element to sweeten the pot.

Maybe even something gross like a Matthias/Kelly swap. *cringe* Would probably still be worth swallowing to shuffle Jensen for a real nice comparable-aged defenceman though i think. Kelly would help with our faceoff issues at least.

Something like:

To BOS: N.Jensen + S.Matthias.
To VAN: J.Morrow + C.Kelly.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Yeah well sometimes I don't quote a wack of posts bud. Chill. I thought separating the paragraphs separated the thoughts. Sorry. Those other things were brought up in the posts preceding yours. I quoted you as the injury thing was worth my reply then I filtered in some other comments on the discussion. No harm no foul. No need for the hostility.

Yeah sorry about the outburst. I seem to have a short fuse for such things for whatever reason. Working on it.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
If Benning does make a trade with Boston, and we don't win the trade, it'll leave me with a horrible opinion of him. Messier + Tortorella territory.

Wanted nothing to do with anything out of Boston, and helping them out in any way will hurt my psyche.

If Vancouver adds Lucic, I am abandoning the franchise as long as he is a part of it.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
All that matters on this board, and we constantly forget this, we all want the best for the Canucks. And our opinions differ. We gotta work with each other and use our words as tools to help this team and their problems. Like Luca Sbisa? We all agree we want him shipped to a boat to the KHL? I'm sorry for Luca. I'll send you to the SHL. At least you get paid. Sorry, Luca but you gotta learn. Tough love bro. You are in the NHL and I'm not but you have to learn how to play there. If you did, you'd be a #2 d-man by now. You seem a great guy too but that's how I feel.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If Benning does make a trade with Boston, and we don't win the trade, it'll leave me with a horrible opinion of him. Messier + Tortorella territory.

Wanted nothing to do with anything out of Boston, and helping them out in any way will hurt my psyche.

If Vancouver adds Lucic, I am abandoning the franchise as long as he is a part of it.

I don't wanna win the trade, I want the best value. I.e. if we somehow trade Hansen for Krug and Krug doesn't pan out, JB tried. Krug looked like an Error replacement. How can you fault our fearless leader for trying to do the right things? I'm not a JB apologist but he's gotta take more swings at the pitcher soon.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
All that matters on this board, and we constantly forget this, we all want the best for the Canucks. And our opinions differ. We gotta work with each other and use our words as tools to help this team and their problems. Like Luca Sbisa? We all agree we want him shipped to a boat to the KHL? I'm sorry for Luca. I'll send you to the SHL. At least you get paid. Sorry, Luca but you gotta learn. Tough love bro. You are in the NHL and I'm not but you have to learn how to play there. If you did, you'd be a #2 d-man by now. You seem a great guy too but that's how I feel.

He's my favorite player. :(

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I don't wanna win the trade, I want the best value. I.e. if we somehow trade Hansen for Krug and Krug doesn't pan out, JB tried. Krug looked like an Error replacement. How can you fault our fearless leader for trying to do the right things? I'm not a JB apologist but he's gotta take more swings at the pitcher soon.

Because it's Boston.

During the WCE era, when we were getting spanked by Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas, trading with them would've left me in different. Or the Kings, Ducks, Chicago, today. But Boston?

It has to be a notable win for us. Personally, anyway, it's how I feel.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah he wanted to change it up... by spending less on defense. Only it's backfired after one injury to the blueline.

Given the insight we have about Benning tendering an offer to Ehrhoff...i don't think you can say that "spending less" was the goal on the blueline.

I'd say it appears "spending smarter" was the goal. Spending money on 4 guys who fit what we want/need, and pair together nicely...plus Tanev on the cheap.

Edler-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Sbisa-Tanev

Or whichever configuration thereof you come up with, that's an upper echelon blueline with insane depth...even with the declining of some of our guys. With Garrison substituted for Ehrhoff...? The mix isn't nearly as good and you get a lesser result...as we saw for two years.

That's ultimately what the moving of Garrison was about. Making room for a better fit, be that Ehrhoff (who didn't sign on), or someone in the future.

People just can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea that a "re-tooling" team needs to actually make moves to change the composition of the team and the salary allocation. And in the above "top-6" group...there isn't a single player whom Garrison would be a better option than in their respective role and salary space. So he was moved.

It didn't immediately materialize...we're still looking for the "Ehrhoff" component to our blueline equation...but we have the room to make that fit now. And right now, we're getting a look at what Sbisa/Stanton/Weber can do and where their limits are...for the future. They're getting opportunities to showcase their wares as a player.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If so then a young player will most likely be replacing Higgins not Matthias. Matthias will merely be staying as the 3LW. I have a hard time seeing Matthias in our top six.

Well yes, I didn't mean to imply that Matthias would be moving up. Just that keeping Matthias at 3LW is perhaps preferred by management, over Higgins taking it over.

Which brings me to speculate again about the Cox rumour: If Higgins and Burrows are both on the block, what does Benning have planned for 2LW and 2RW?

This is why Eriksson coming back from BOS makes some sense. He plugs the 2RW position. Meanwhile, they could work out a Higgins for Berglund swap with STL, and then immediately flip him for Perron.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Perron-Bonino-Eriksson

Lastly, if Burrows goes, I think the target then gets put on Bieksa. If they are willing dismantle the current leadership group, no one is safe.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Given the insight we have about Benning tendering an offer to Ehrhoff...

People just can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea that a "re-tooling" team needs to actually make moves to change the composition of the team and the salary allocation. And in the above "top-6" group...there isn't a single player whom Garrison would be a better option than in their respective role and salary space. So he was moved.

It didn't immediately materialize...we're still looking for the "Ehrhoff" component to our blueline equation...but we have the room to make that fit now.

Oh I get it now... To offer a comparison, when Gillis was targeting Shea Weber in order to "spend smarter", he should have dealt Garrison/Salo + Bieksa before hand in order to make room. To "change the composition" of the team. Oh sure, it didn't materialize. We're still looking for that "Weber". But he's out there somewhere. And with those cap clearing trades, Gillis would have had the room to complete his "goal". Yes the defense would have been weakened in the meantime, but nuts to that, it's all about the goal... No matter how far away or unattainable that goal is... I think I've got my head wrapped around this now.

Makes complete sense.

(A bird in the hand...)

Edit: Sorry for the sarcasm but I just want the JG talk to die out for a while. No one is convincing anyone else of anything. This "people just don't get it" talk is just tiresome and repetitive. Let's leave JG in the background for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad