Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - Looking to the offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
This is probably me with my head in the clouds, but if these events were possible I'd love for this move to a few younger/youngish players that are producers that probably won't be re-signed or won't resign with their current club. I think we could get a lot out of them selling them on being part of the top-6 and Nucleus of our team considering we're not that far from the playoffs already.

End of Season - Start of Next Hope Springs Anew - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

2023-24

Forsberg ($8.5M) - Glass ($2.5M) - Alex Debrincat (RFA - Trade for Rights - $7m)
Michael Bunting (UFA - $3.25M)
- Parssinen ($0.850833M) - Duchene ($8M)
Tomasino ($0.863333M) - Novak ($0.800M) - Evangelista ($0.7975)
Trenin ($1.7M) - Jankowski($775k) - Sissons ($2.857M)
Afanasayev ($789k)

LTIR: Johansen ($8M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
McDonagh ($6.75M) - Carrier ($2.5M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Livingstone($2.25M)
Foote (RFA - $900k)

Saros ($5M)
Lankinen ($2M)
Buyouts: Turris ($2M)
Retained: Ekholm ($0.250M)

LTIR: Johansen ($8M)

Total: $73,891,976

If we assume the cap is $83.5M like capfriendly does then:
Remaining Cap Space: $9.6M

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
This is probably me with my head in the clouds, but if these events were possible I'd love for this move to a few younger/youngish players that are producers that probably won't be re-signed or won't resign with their current club. I think we could get a lot out of them selling them on being part of the top-6 and Nucleus of our team considering we're not that far from the playoffs already.

End of Season - Start of Next Hope Springs Anew - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
What are we trading for Debrincat and why does he elect to take less than his $9M qualifying offer?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Is his QO 9M? I didn't know that part, but I was trading 5th round 2023 from the lightning for a chance to sign him. I could up his contract and we're still pretty far under cap
He's an arbitration-eligible RFA with a 1-year, $9M QO. Ottawa gave up a 1, 2, 3 for him, they aren't going to get that value back if he refuses to sign long-term with them, but they aren't giving him up for scraps either.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
He's an arbitration-eligible RFA with a 1-year, $9M QO. Ottawa gave up a 1, 2, 3 for him, they aren't going to get that value back if he refuses to sign long-term with them, but they aren't giving him up for scraps either.
Yea, I'd prefer to poach him. We could sign him for 7-8m a year and pay 123 with an offer sheet also 9m is too much..he's a good scorer but had a bad year this year and two years ago, he's kinda up and down

That is, poach him if Ottawa can't get anything longer term done. Maybe we wait until next season but I like that he's young and could fit or 3 - 2nd lines format we are going for.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Yea, I'd prefer to poach him. We could sign him for 7-8m a year and pay 123 with an offer sheet also 9m is too much..he's a good scorer but had a bad year this year and two years ago, he's kinda up and down
I wouldn't pay a 123 on an offersheet and then the long-term contact for him. I don't think he's remotely a 40-goal type player away from an elite player like Kane and I'm really wary of sinking that much into a small-statured winger over the long haul (same reason it was fine to cut bait with Arvy). If we're paying assets and big money I'd rather target a center (e.g. Dubois, though he's likely to go to Montreal) than winger.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I wouldn't pay a 123 on an offersheet and then the long-term contact for him. I don't think he's remotely a 40-goal type player away from an elite player like Kane and I'm really wary of sinking that much into a small-statured winger over the long haul (same reason it was fine to cut bait with Arvy). If we're paying assets and big money I'd rather target a center (e.g. Dubois, though he's likely to go to Montreal) than winger.
I get the trepidation on the undersized winger but I think he projects to be a 20-30 goal scorer for the next 4-5 years at least. As a 1st or 2nd liner we'd be in a good spot. Along with the fact we'd be sitting on quite a hefty amount of cap space.

Where would we fit Dubois in? Our Center area is pretty jammed up right now unless we cut bait on Cody Glass. I don't think we'd be looking for a Center UFA anytime soon, unless some of these guys don't pan out in two years.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I get the trepidation on the undersized winger but I think he projects to be a 20-30 goal scorer for the next 4-5 years at least. As a 1st or 2nd liner we'd be in a good spot. Along with the fact we'd be sitting on quite a hefty amount of cap space.

Where would we fit Dubois in? Our Center area is pretty jammed up right now unless we cut bait on Cody Glass. I don't think we'd be looking for a Center UFA anytime soon, unless some of these guys don't pan out in two years.
20-30 goal scorer for 4-5 years was Craig Smith ... at much less cost.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Nothing of the sort. We have 0 reliably proven top 6 centers if Johansen is out. Completely trusting our center depth to Parssinen, Novak, Glass, Sissons would be a disaster. This isn't to be pessimistic on what kind of players they may be (I like what I'm seeing from all of them), but they won't handle that load over a full season on their own yet.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
20-30 goal scorer for 4-5 years was Craig Smith ... at much less cost.
5 out of 13 years he was a 20+ goal scorer, though I do love his tenacity. The consistency is what ultimately made him not worth more

Nothing of the sort. We have 0 reliably proven top 6 centers if Johansen is out. Completely trusting our center depth to Parssinen, Novak, Glass, Sissons would be a disaster. This isn't to be pessimistic on what kind of players they may be (I like what I'm seeing from all of them), but they won't handle that load over a full season on their own yet.
Well, which of those are you relegating to the minors or the pressbox then? Cause we can't field 5 centers and some of those don't play wing.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
5 out of 13 years he was a 20+ goal scorer, though I do love his tenacity. The consistency is what ultimately made him not worth more

Well, which of those are you relegating to the minors or the pressbox then? Cause we can't field 5 centers and some of those don't play wing.
Novak and Parssinen can both pivot to wing if needed if we are capable of landing a bonafide top 6 center, Novak being the better candidate with his iffy faceoff % and having less defensive responsibility to worry about.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

5 out of 6 consecutive seasons as a Pred were 20+ ... so exactly what you called for with " 20-30 goal scorer for the next 4-5 years at least". Year seven was 18 goals in 69 games ...so a 20 goal pace if he stayed healthy for a full 82.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Novak and Parssinen can both pivot to wing if needed if we are capable of landing a bonafide top 6 center, Novak being the better candidate with his iffy faceoff % and having less defensive responsibility to worry about.
I could see Parssinen as a wing for a season, since he's played that some this year, but Novak is kinda stretching it. I mean if we run Parssinen to the Wing and sign Dubois that would fit the situation. I'd still like to grab Bunting from Toronto if we can for the left side, I think that shores up our top-6 better and if we had Dubois we could run Parssinen on the right wing instead of DeBrincat.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I would rather save up Cap space so that we aren't left out in the cold if a truly elite opportunity arises. Paying $8M+ for either of DeBrincat or Dubois for the next 8 years is just going down the same path of Johansen/Duchene types of deals for players who are pretty good, but who also lock us out of being able to think about getting a truly top player if that opportunity ever arose.

And that's before you even bring up giving up our 1st round pick plus other things, which is what it would take to trade for them.

So let's just banish those thoughts, please.

I also do not believe the Preds will overspend the Cap and use LTIR for Johansen. So I don't think it's a good idea to plan on just writing his $8M out of the Cap equation. He might be healthy next year. And the Preds will do their moves this summer assuming that he might be. So even if he ultimately can't make it back, we won't know it until after all the summer moves are finished, and the Preds will just ride out 2023-24 without spending over the Cap using LTIR. They're going to look at that in a rebuilding year as a nice little way of saving some $$$, if that's how things turn out.

Reactions: hockey diva

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
It is well known that Dubois wants to go to Montreal. Read the Jets board. He is also not going to want to come here, it would be his 3rd small market team. So no, he should not be in the conversation here

I would rather see us sink or swim with the kids, maybe a cheap vet sprinkled in.

Reactions: PredsV82

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I would rather save up Cap space so that we aren't left out in the cold if a truly elite opportunity arises. Paying $8M+ for either of DeBrincat or Dubois for the next 8 years is just going down the same path of Johansen/Duchene types of deals for players who are pretty good, but who also lock us out of being able to think about getting a truly top player if that opportunity ever arose.

And that's before you even bring up giving up our 1st round pick plus other things, which is what it would take to trade for them.

So let's just banish those thoughts, please.

I also do not believe the Preds will overspend the Cap and use LTIR for Johansen. So I don't think it's a good idea to plan on just writing his $8M out of the Cap equation. He might be healthy next year. And the Preds will do their moves this summer assuming that he might be. So even if he ultimately can't make it back, we won't know it until after all the summer moves are finished, and the Preds will just ride out 2023-24 without spending over the Cap using LTIR. They're going to look at that in a rebuilding year as a nice little way of saving some $$$, if that's how things turn out.
Dubois is a UFA and Debrincat is a bit of a pipe dream for me not sure he would work or want to come here

Reactions: hockey diva

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
One way of looking at it is that every team gets the same amount of money to buy pieces that give the best balance of offense and defense to win games.

A team can get the same points production from, for example, Kopitar and Kuzmenko. But with their cap numbers, a team can buy 10 Kuzmenkos for 1 Kopitar. That multiplier is pretty insane. 740 points versus 74.

Granted that's not realistic, but even if the 9 "other Kuzmenkos" do not exist and the team can really only find 3 other players who are only a quarter Kuzmenko in points production, that's 130 points to 74 points.

Obviously this can backfire as well. The brain trust could find itself buying pieces that don't move the needle. They can't find a Kuzmenko and the 3 other guys they buy are offensive blackholes or cancers in the locker room.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Dubois is going to Montreal.

When do we find out about the pink slip?
I believe exit interviews and such are today. I'd expect Barry and Poile will have some paperwork to do for the swap so maybe after this week, if it happens at all. I kinda expect him to be here another year, finish out his contract and they choose to just not renew it next summer at this point.

I don't believe in my eyes he did enough to deserve the extra year but Trotz may not want his first move to be removing the head coach. Also, even though we all know Saros was more likely the cause for the late season push. They may value Hyne's ability to get the young guys to buy in and we may be stuck for another year of him, at least.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I believe exit interviews and such are today. I'd expect Barry and Poile will have some paperwork to do for the swap so maybe after this week, if it happens at all. I kinda expect him to be here another year, finish out his contract and they choose to just not renew it next summer at this point.

I don't believe in my eyes he did enough to deserve the extra year but Trotz may not want his first move to be removing the head coach. Also, even though we all know Saros was more likely the cause for the late season push. They may value Hyne's ability to get the young guys to buy in and we may be stuck for another year of him, at least.
The only way I could see it being later is if the plan is to promote Taylor and they don't want to mess with things while the playoffs are going. That's a bit of a stretch though imo.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
The only way I could see it being later is if the plan is to promote Taylor and they don't want to mess with things while the playoffs are going. That's a bit of a stretch though imo.
Yeah, they could easily still let Hynes go now and say that are doing research, or whatever, to wait for Taylor's season to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad