Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I really think Versteeg will help the PP problems.

For a RW, we need a true sniper. Someone that is a shoot first kind of guy.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm just waiting for Tre to pull off his magic and get his man.
His trades seem to always be good to average; so I doubt he does anything overly stupid (honestly, it makes you feel a lot better than when Feaster or Dutter were running the show, and your body was just ready to make a trade that'd make you want to punt your TV).

This year it seems like there's a lot of wingers available for trade; and I feel like by the end of the day at the TDL some guys'll be moving for peanuts.

Reactions: snipetype

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Kane is literally a perfect fit on the Flames.

Ignoring his play, off ice issues and cost how is a left shooting, left wing on a team with 90% left shooting forwards, at least 2 LW's already converted to RW right now and Gaudreau/Tkachuk as the top two LW\s even close to a perfect fit for the Flames?

Then you take into his streaky play which is already a major issue, his history of being an absolute crap teammmate, his horrible behaviour off the ice, the ridiculous price that Buffalo is asking and he isn't even a good fit let alone a perfect fit.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think we are getting set up for a very underwhelming/terrible add like Zach Smith or more likely nothing done and the BS line of "getting Versteeg back is like making a deal" which is just slightly behind "own rental" for dumbest trade deadline cliche there is.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think we are getting set up for a very underwhelming/terrible add like Zach Smith or more likely nothing done and the BS line of "getting Versteeg back is like making a deal" which is just slightly behind "own rental" for dumbest trade deadline cliche there is.

I would rather do nothing than get Zach Smith. I don’t think this is our year, no reason to overpay or add an average player with a shitty cap hit. We need to keep what few draft picks we have. If it’s not a D prospect for a true RW then yeah, just plug Versteeg in and try and make the playoffs

I really hope Tre doesn’t make a stupid move just because he’s worried about missing the playoffs and having NYI hit the lotto with our pick

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I would rather do nothing than get Zach Smith. I don’t think this is our year, no reason to overpay or add an average player with a ****ty cap hit. We need to keep what few draft picks we have. If it’s not a D prospect for a true RW then yeah, just plug Versteeg in and try and make the playoffs

I really hope Tre doesn’t make a stupid move just because he’s worried about missing the playoffs and having NYI hit the lotto with our pick

I agree, even if Smith were on a UFA 1 million dollar deal I would pass on giving anything up for him.

The only thing I would like to see is a more hockey type deal of one of our defensemen (preferably Brodie) for a a true top 6 RW with goal scoring ability, and preferably size, but those deals tend to be off-season moves.

There really doesn't seem to be anyone that makes sense from a fit and cost perspective out there right now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not sure why Zach Smith is even still being discussed here. The person who linked the Flames to Zach Smith was Bruce Garrioch, which might as well be an Eklund E1 (actually, maybe even worse). Garrioch is, from my understanding, like their version of Eric "the asking price for Hudler is a 3rd round pick" Francis.

Meanwhile, there has been actual justification already provided by insiders as to why the Flames are scouting Ottawa, and unsurprisingly, it's regarding Mike Hoffman, who is a trigger-man with speed, not a redundant bottom-six forward.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, Hoffman and Pageau make sense. If Tre traded for Smith he'd have to be insane I guess. There's literally zero thought put into that rumor, so I have almost zero fear that a smart GM like Tre would make a trade involving Smith. I have a feeling it's gonna be a buyer's market this year, especially for wingers. If we pull a trade, I hope it's at the last minute, cause someone could fall to us cheap.

I'm hoping it's Pageau personally. He's having an off year and might be one of the guys overlooked leading up to the deadline. If OTT wants his salary gone, he could be a great buy low candidate for the 3rd line RW spot.

EDIT: For those stat watching I get he doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. But I follow the sens too...The kid still has it, he just needs to get off the tire fire that is the Sens this year. He's a RHS, can take FOs/play center, has some jam to his game, a solid nose for the net, and rarely takes a shift off. I have full confidence he'd lift that 3rd line and improve on guys like Brouwer /Hathaway.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I wonder if we can sell off some players with no big future here at the deadline to get some low picks. Shinkaruk, Lazar, Wotherspoon, etc.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I wonder if we can sell off some players with no big future here at the deadline to get some low picks. Shinkaruk, Lazar, Wotherspoon, etc.

Unlikely. Every team has a Shinkaruk/Wotherspoon type guy in their system, and I can't see there being much interest in Lazar.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Unlikely. Every team has a Shinkaruk/Wotherspoon type guy in their system, and I can't see there being much interest in Lazar.

You never really know.
First round picks always have some kind of mystique around them, even after it's 5 years later and all busts (not that Wother is a first).

I still regret that Wotherspoon pick after remembering who went right after him.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Not sure why Zach Smith is even still being discussed here. The person who linked the Flames to Zach Smith was Bruce Garrioch, which might as well be an Eklund E1 (actually, maybe even worse). Garrioch is, from my understanding, like their version of Eric "the asking price for Hudler is a 3rd round pick" Francis.

Meanwhile, there has been actual justification already provided by insiders as to why the Flames are scouting Ottawa, and unsurprisingly, it's regarding Mike Hoffman, who is a trigger-man with speed, not a redundant bottom-six forward.

Mike Hoffman makes no sense because he isn't close to good enough to make it worthwhile giving up the pieces that we will have, and that could cripple us in the future.

Zach Smith however fits perfectly with a line-up that forces feeds Brouwer and Stajan night after night despite both consistently being the worst forwards out there and was the group that initially gave Brouwer that god awful contract.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Wotherspoon is on the cusp of being a #6. That's gotta be worth a 5th or 6th to some playoff team that needs defensive depth

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think Wotherspoon is on the cusp of being a #6. That's gotta be worth a 5th or 6th to some playoff team that needs defensive depth

While I agree he could be a #6, I think most contenders would either;

A. Have a prospect in a similar situation that can be recalled for the playoffs.

B. Would give up a bit more to acquire someone more proven, like David Schlemko.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I agree with Volica.

Supply and Demand. Lots of wingers availiable. I think an Oliver Kylington gets you a good player with 1 or 2 years left. Just need to be patient and wait for the prices to come down

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Mike Hoffman makes no sense because he isn't close to good enough to make it worthwhile giving up the pieces that we will have, and that could cripple us in the future.

Zach Smith however fits perfectly with a line-up that forces feeds Brouwer and Stajan night after night despite both consistently being the worst forwards out there and was the group that initially gave Brouwer that god awful contract.

Well, sure, it makes sense if you're writing a satire. But in terms of what the Flames might do, it doesn't make sense. Keep in mind that when they brought in Troy Brouwer it was to be a scoring winger, not because they thought he could be like what Zach Smith is. When they re-signed Matt Stajan, he was still capable of playing in the top 9, including spot duty on the top 6, and we didn't have anyone around to replace the role he played.

So no, neither of those examples is convincing in any way.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well, sure, it makes sense if you're writing a satire. But in terms of what the Flames might do, it doesn't make sense. Keep in mind that when they brought in Troy Brouwer it was to be a scoring winger, not because they thought he could be like what Zach Smith is. When they re-signed Matt Stajan, he was still capable of playing in the top 9, including spot duty on the top 6, and we didn't have anyone around to replace the role he played.

So no, neither of those examples is convincing in any way.

What they wanted when they signed those guys doesn't really explain why they are continually put out there when it is clear they are not what they thought they would be.

And yes it was a bit of hyperbole on my part but I think by far the most likely scenario is the Flames don't trade for anyone from the Sens followed by a small chance they deal for Smith and almost no chance they trade for Hoffman.

I do see it more likely that they are scouting Smith and convincing themselves he is a good fit for the 3rd line with Jankowski-Bennett than they are looking at Hoffman considering the cost.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is Garrioch: He has "inside info" (it's common knowledge) that the Sens are shopping are shopping Smith. The Flames are scouting the Sens, this = Flames want Smith. He's brutal at being an insider.

I would love either Hoffman or Pageau, just not willing to pay a steep price to get them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ignoring his play, off ice issues and cost how is a left shooting, left wing on a team with 90% left shooting forwards, at least 2 LW's already converted to RW right now and Gaudreau/Tkachuk as the top two LW\s even close to a perfect fit for the Flames?

Then you take into his streaky play which is already a major issue, his history of being an absolute crap teammmate, his horrible behaviour off the ice, the ridiculous price that Buffalo is asking and he isn't even a good fit let alone a perfect fit.

You are honestly saying that the Flames would not look at acquiring the next Iginla because of what way he shoots? Kane's teammates love him, so I don't buy it at all.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I agree with Volica.

Supply and Demand. Lots of wingers availiable. I think an Oliver Kylington gets you a good player with 1 or 2 years left. Just need to be patient and wait for the prices to come down

Just remembering that Cammy year we didn't move him. There were way too many wingers available. There's going to be 5-6 non-playoff teams looking to unload anything they can. Calgary's got a shot at getting someone useful.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
According to TSN's trade bait list:
Kane, Maroon, Hoffman, Grabner, Nash, Patches, Vanek, Galchenyuk, Letestu, Nyquist and Leivo among many others.

How many teams are looking to add? 10-15? Not all need forwards. Someone will shake loose for a reasonable price. I'm not even remotely concerned about Tre making a shit move here.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
According to TSN's trade bait list:
Kane, Maroon, Hoffman, Grabner, Nash, Patches, Vanek, Galchenyuk, Letestu, Nyquist and Leivo among many others.

How many teams are looking to add? 10-15? Not all need forwards. Someone will shake loose for a reasonable price. I'm not even remotely concerned about Tre making a **** move here.
Ngl I hope we steer clear of everyone not named Hoffman, Grabner, or Nyquist

Reactions: crackdown44

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You are honestly saying that the Flames would not look at acquiring the next Iginla because of what way he shoots? Kane's teammates love him, so I don't buy it at all.

I know at this time you are borderline trolling (not in a bad way) and having fun with this but the answer is hell yes I think they will pass on him. Mainly because he isn't close to the next Iginla and his teammates tossed his clothes in the shower not sure that is a ton of love.

Reactions: InfinityIggy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad