Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Last year, Nashville was a bubble team, like the Flames were. Didn't take much for them to morph into a good team.

Nashville also has one of the best coaches, really good offensive depth and consistently good goaltending, oh and their defence plays up to their potential.

They lost the SCF 4 games to 2, not really a bubble team (sure by definition of regular season, but they were also in a good division).

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Valentin Zykov and a 3rd for Bennett?

Stone for a 2nd?

Sign Raanta

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Perron-Backlund-Zykov
Mangiapane/Dube-Jankowski-Ferland
Lazar-Shore-Brouwer

Giordano-Brodie
Valimaki-Hamilton
Kulak-Hamonic

Smith
Raanta

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Zykov is not going to be an NHLer, and even if he would be he wouldn't be any better than Jankowski and I sure as hell would not trade Bennett for Janko

Awful, next.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Darling (if Carolina retains and is looking to go a different direction such as open the pocket book for a higher profile goalie via trade)
Lehner
Dell
Mrazek

Assuming everyone else is someone too pricey to acquire, how do these lower cost options look like?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't think the Sharks would trade a promising backup to a divisional rival, despite the Kings setting that bizarre precedent

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think the Sharks would trade a promising backup to a divisional rival, despite the Kings setting that bizarre precedent
The Kings did no such thing. They traded Martin Jones to Boston in the Lucic deal, and Boston then immediately flipped him to San Jose.

Unless you are talking about a different deal?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'd probably trade Hamilton for Ristolainen, though I think Buffalo says no without thinking.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Kings did no such thing. They traded Martin Jones to Boston in the Lucic deal, and Boston then immediately flipped him to San Jose.

Unless you are talking about a different deal?
I definitely had it in my mind that Jones was shipped to the Sharks for a first to the Kings. Weird

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What about Holtby? Wonder if he could be had.

People around here won’t like it (ie no one wanted Smith Rask, Varlamov, or Fleury last year). He may be having a down year but he is a great goalie.

Smith + Kylington

For

Holtby

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

People around here won’t like it (ie no one wanted Smith Rask, Varlamov, or Fleury last year). He may be having a down year but he is a great goalie.

Smith + Kylington

For

Holtby

I would think we would have to give up more than that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He signed a 2 year extension on Feb. 28th

Oops, I am mistaken then. Drop him from the list for sure and replace him with maybe... Bernier? Would some longer shots like Condon shake free?

Smith + Kylington

For

Holtby

Why on earth does Washington even bother to entertain this? They'd easily get more from certain teams like Philly or Carolina IMO with the added in conference premium.

Minor trade: Rychel for Poirier, yay/nay?
I think both guys could use a change of scenery and both guys might do better playing closer to home. Rychel is a Cali kid, Poirier a MTL kid. We wouldn't gain nor lose a whole lot of value on such a trade, and I think MTL views it the same way and wouldn't ask for too much on top of Poirier. Rychel is at least looking like a bottom 6 option long term. They may be more willing to do the trade as Poirier is French. Rychel is a good option to help remove Poirier from the bottom 6 logjam for RW. I honestly think it's doing all parties a solid vs a giving up on players type trade.

How far is the value difference between the two?

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Let's just go with Smith/Rittich. They were perfectly adequate this season and rather far down the list of why we didn't make the playoffs. In fact Smith was the only reason we were not in total freefall by December.

Sure it would be nice to have a starter closer to 25 than 35 years of age, but at this point I'll take an offseason without playing the goalie roulette and rather blow whatever measly assets we have left on improving the forward corps.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I wonder how much Derek Ryan is worth in UFA? Shoots right, can play center and has produced well for a bottom 6 guy his past two years. Has some nice fancy stats as well.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Same, I think the forward scoring depth is a much larger issue than our goaltending. I'm fine with Smith/Rittich. We need a coaching overhaul and a lot of new bodies upfront way more than a new goaltender. Smith was hands down our MVP this year, we would've been a bottom feeder without him.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

Smith + Kylington

For

Holtby

I wouldn't do that deal. If Holtby is actually falling off then we have no clear cut starter. Don't care about Kylington.

Goalies always tend to come cheaper than people expect.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I wouldn't do that deal. If Holtby is actually falling off then we have no clear cut starter. Don't care about Kylington.

Goalies always tend to come cheaper than people expect.

Really? You wouldn't take the 28 year old 2016 Vezina winner for our 36 year old starter? At the cost of our project prospect?

Holtby has two seasons where he's gotten less than a .920 save percentage, this year and the lockout shortened year.

His down year has been a problem. Without a doubt. But the guy has superior career stats over any goalie the Flames have gotten in a long long time. He only has two years left on his deal, so that's a gamble I'd take at least 9 out of 10 times.

Plus his cap hit is higher than his salary for the next two years, which you know Flames ownership would love.

In the end though it's irrelevant because the Caps would never make that deal. Both from value and that they have no need for Smith.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I wonder how much Derek Ryan is worth in UFA? Shoots right, can play center and has produced well for a bottom 6 guy his past two years. Has some nice fancy stats as well.

I was thinking he’d be a good add too but then we grabbed nick shore who I’ve been impressed with. Shore will be a cheaper 4th line Center to play behind jankowski than Ryan would

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I was thinking he’d be a good add too but then we grabbed nick shore who I’ve been impressed with. Shore will be a cheaper 4th line Center to play behind jankowski than Ryan would
I was actually thinking him for 3RW and add someone significant to the top 6 or maybe moving Jankowski down to the 4th line if necessary (Not sure him being the third line center is good enough if he plays similar to this year)

Something like

Gaudreau-Monahan-Top 6 guy
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett/Ferland/Frolik
Bennett/Ferland-Jankowski/Ryan-Ryan/Frolik

For the top 9 which also frees up one of the wingers to be packaged with some other stuff for top 6 guy. If need be either of Frolik or Ferland could play 4th line as well.

I agree on Shore though he's a really good 4C.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Really? You wouldn't take the 28 year old 2016 Vezina winner for our 36 year old starter? At the cost of our project prospect?

Holtby has two seasons where he's gotten less than a .920 save percentage, this year and the lockout shortened year.

His down year has been a problem. Without a doubt. But the guy has superior career stats over any goalie the Flames have gotten in a long long time. He only has two years left on his deal, so that's a gamble I'd take at least 9 out of 10 times.

Plus his cap hit is higher than his salary for the next two years, which you know Flames ownership would love.

In the end though it's irrelevant because the Caps would never make that deal. Both from value and that they have no need for Smith.

Just a matter of not wanting to make that gamble right after we shored up a major need by getting Smith in the first place. If it pays off it pays off, but if it doesn't, we're suddenly in the market for a starter again and that's not a good place to be with the team where it is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad