Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I suppose? But without a QO I bet he just goes straight to free agency.

Which is fine... we get to chat with Benning and we'd be essentially losing Janko for nothing anyways if we don't want to offer him a QO?

Or do you prefer we not lose Janko for nothing? (Which is fair)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Which is fine... we get to chat with Benning and we'd be essentially losing Janko for nothing anyways if we don't want to offer him a QO?

Or do you prefer we not lose Janko for nothing? (Which is fair)

I think it's a reasonable idea, don't get me wrong. I'd just worry in that swap they feel some pressure to QO him. Losing Jankowski for nothing would be fine, I do see where you're coming from with the idea.

Reactions: Fig

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Talbot was getting beat by long shots because of Dallas' strategy being either, snipe it from the point with traffic, or get a rebound from traffic and Calgary was god awful at clearing the front of the net. Other goals, like the Heiskanen game 2(?) goal was solely because Fantenberg got caught setting the rolling screen on Talbot right as he took the shot and he didn't read that one. Outside of game 6 that's how he got beat, either breakaway's/rushes, point shot snipes, or garbage in front where they get 5 tries. Having a great goalie won't matter if the team can't actually let them see the puck

Bullshit, he was getting beat by wrist shots from the half wall and the point without screens. Talbot sucked against Dallas. The rolling screen defense is laughable he left more than a foot of net available. His positioning is terrible.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We've exchanged enough players with the Oilers in the past couple years to last me a lifetime

Reactions: DFF

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Bullshit, he was getting beat by wrist shots from the half wall and the point without screens. Talbot sucked against Dallas. The rolling screen defense is laughable he left more than a foot of net available. His positioning is terrible.
He got beat, what, once from a half-wall wrister where someone was legit blocking him from seeing the play? f***in, think a little bit about what you're saying. he wasn't spectacular but game 6 was the only noticeable bad game. He was average.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I genuinely think people are forgetting how many of Dallas's goals were tips or deflections.

tenor.gif

The puck went past him.

I get why some fans don't want Talbot back... but as discussed in the previous armchair thread... let's choose someone and ride or die.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
tenor.gif

The puck went past him.

I get why some fans don't want Talbot back... but as discussed in the previous armchair thread... let's choose someone and ride or die.

Blaming goalies for tips and deflections is a foolhardy endeavor imo.

But yeah, I'd love someone consistent for several years.

Reactions: Fig and Mazatt

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
The goaltending was nothing special in the playoffs. It was average to below average at best. When we needed them most they sieved it up in game 6, game 1 both goals against Talbot were terrible and I can go on and on, Flames played a good defensive game and Dallas took a lot of outside shots of which they scored on a ton because Talbot isn't very good contrary to what people believe. If we have Markstrom this playoffs we cruise past Dallas.

If you don't want to give that line any credit fine, but Monahan is much improved defensively and was being a lot more assertive offensively as well since he realized Gaudreau just didn't want to actually compete. People can bitch about Monahan not doing anything offensively in the playoffs, he had Gaudreau on his line who had one of the worst playoffs I have ever seen. He was completely terrified of any contact, he turned it over constantly, and Lindholm wasn't much better. Lindholm I give a pass because of what came out after the bubble about his girlfriend/fiance/wife and their baby situation. Guaudreau gets no kind of pass after the Colorado series last year and this Stars series.

I mean, dumb ass Ward also has the top line playing chip and chase hockey because he is a moron who is in way over his head. Adapt, they're a skill line they should be keeping the puck, not f***ing dumping it in when one player refuses DOWNRIGHT REFUSES to take a hit to make a play let alone retrieve the puck. In interviews as well Gaudreau said Ward was using the top line as a defensive line. Ignoring the fact they were actually good defensively, our moronic coach decided to use our most skilled, highest goal scoring, most offensive line as a shutdown defensive line. I'll criticize the players for not performing, but this is just complete insanity on the part of our dumb coaches.

I think a lot of our fans (and my own) complaints get nullified if we had a competent less idiotic coach behind the bench. Laviolette brings us to the finals IMO, easily. He would never have useless awful Forbort playing more than 10 minutes max a night, he would be giving Gaudreau and co. 25 minutes minimum and using them purely for offense. But you know, why play to your strengths when you can play Forbort (who is trash and anyone saying otherwise is braindead and doesn't understand basic hockey in 2020) for 18-20 minutes a night and have a line with Johnny 5'8" f***ing Gaudreau as a defensive shutdown line.
If you know everything about hockey, and your opinions are right 100% of the time, and anyone who has an even slightly differing opinions than you is stupid and doesn't know anything, why are you an NHL coach? Clearly you're the most qualified.

Or you know, you can stop acting like you're the only person whose opinion matters. Just a thought.

Reactions: Mazatt

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think this is in favour of the Flames more than the Oilers. Flames need to add at least 2 RD assuming Brodie is out. Or is my evaluation on Benning way off? This doesn't necessarily help nor hurt either team as both could in theory just not bother with a QO.

They'll quote feaster the day after the trade and rub your face when he gets some lucky goals bounced off his behind by mcdavid

No thanks

Benning sucks anyway. He is no replacement for brodie

Reactions: super6646

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If you know everything about hockey, and your opinions are right 100% of the time, and anyone who has an even slightly differing opinions than you is stupid and doesn't know anything, why are you an NHL coach? Clearly you're the most qualified.

Or you know, you can stop acting like you're the only person whose opinion matters. Just a thought.

Lol @ defending our idiot coaches.

I too like watching my team lose in the first round, it's not like I watch other teams succeed because they aren't coached by incompetent morons. Has nothing to do with my opinion, it's common f***ing sense of which this organization has very little of.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Would you downgrade Gaudreau’s value if you could attach Lucic to a Johnny trade with the end result being cap space for Hall and Markstrom to be Flames?

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Supposedly, the ask for OEL isn't actually that much. Dreger reported that the ask is likely around a first, a d prospect (for us, likely either Kylington or Valimaki. Given events on previous asks for Vali, it'd probably be Kyl), and possibly an NHL'er to help somewhat balance salary (so for us, likely Derek Ryan).

If Lucic waves, I'd do Looch, First, Kylington, and Pelletier. If Looch doesn't wave, I'd try to swing Pelletier+Kylington+Ryan. I mean, this all assumes Calgary is on OEL's list of teams he'd accept a trade to as well. I'd hate losing Gio, but I'd consider Gio going the other way instead of Ryan or Kylington.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I rather sign In the following order:

Markstrom
Hall
OEL

I feel like it’s not smart for us to bring in a huge Dman contract. I rather pay for a good Goalie that can offer consistency and then of course some more help up front

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
They'll quote feaster the day after the trade and rub your face when he gets some lucky goals bounced off his behind by mcdavid

No thanks

Benning sucks anyway. He is no replacement for brodie

Uhh... I was imagining Benning would be a replacement for Stone...
If we need a Brodie replacement I'd hope that Tanev shakes free and we sign him in UFA along side Markstrom.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I rather sign In the following order:

Markstrom
Hall
OEL

I feel like it’s not smart for us to bring in a huge Dman contract. I rather pay for a good Goalie that can offer consistency and then of course some more help up front

If Tanev hits UFA, I'd slide him in between Markstrom and Hall.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hey guys.

What are your thoughts on Rask? Apparently teams are calling on his availability. Reading around, it looks like your team could use an upgrade in net.

Boston is very interested in picking up a top pairing LD to replace Krug and the possible departure/retirement of Chara. They also need some depth goal scoring options for the middle 6 and some added muscle.

I suggested Rask for Hanafin, who Don Sweeney has coveted since his draft year. What would your thoughts be on a move like that?

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
trading our 23 year old top 4 D for a 33 year goalie seems like a great idea.... not..... ill take MAF for a low pick than giving any young roster player for rask

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Hey guys.

What are your thoughts on Rask? Apparently teams are calling on his availability. Reading around, it looks like your team could use an upgrade in net.

Boston is very interested in picking up a top pairing LD to replace Krug and the possible departure/retirement of Chara. They also need some depth goal scoring options for the middle 6 and some added muscle.

I suggested Rask for Hanafin, who Don Sweeney has coveted since his draft year. What would your thoughts be on a move like that?

Too many good goalies available in free agency to justify moving Hanifin for Rask. Especially when you consider age/contract/position

Rask is great but 33 year old goalies with 1 year left on their contracts don’t get that kind of return

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Would you downgrade Gaudreau’s value if you could attach Lucic to a Johnny trade with the end result being cap space for Hall and Markstrom to be Flames?
no, it is going to be tough enough to recoup Gaudreaus full value in a trade let alone attaching a $5.25 M AAV boat anchor to him in a flat cap world.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The HF Rangers "insider" is adamant that there's a deal about to go down with us.

Although instead of Lindholm + Hanifin, it could now be Monahan + Hanifin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad