Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Don't think this is the worst thing.

We'd be headed into the direction of a rebuild(the right direction.)

Sure, but the Flames aren't that bad that we sniff a chance at Wright/Lambert or Bedard/Michkov without losing more pieces. Just like when the Flames actually tanked in '13-14, there are other teams that are way worse and the next two years there are a lot of teams worse than the Flames.

Ottawa, Anaheim, LA, Buffalo, Seattle, Jersey, Columbus, Detroit, San Jose, Nashville are all going to be worse than the Flames next year and some will be MUCH worse.

That's why I say it's Eichel or re-build. Flames either back into the playoffs in the 7th or 8th spot and get smoked like usual or finish just outside with another crap draft pick.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Sure, but the Flames aren't that bad that we sniff a chance at Wright/Lambert or Bedard/Michkov without losing more pieces. Just like when the Flames actually tanked in '13-14, there are other teams that are way worse and the next two years there are a lot of teams worse than the Flames.

Ottawa, Anaheim, LA, Buffalo, Seattle, Jersey, Columbus, Detroit, San Jose, Nashville are all going to be worse than the Flames next year and some will be MUCH worse.

That's why I say it's Eichel or re-build. Flames either back into the playoffs in the 7th or 8th spot and get smoked like usual or finish just outside with another crap draft pick.

What I had in mind is not starting a rebuild in 2-3 years but 7-8 years down the road.

Honestly this is where we are headed.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

When I mean headed for a rebuild, I did not mean in the next 2-3 years but in 7-8 years.

This is where we are headed.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Over the weekend had a couple beers with my connected amigo.

The Eichel stuff is serious. Well past the point of 'just checking in' type calls. There's framework that's tabled, and now it's essentially a waiting game to see if the price sneaks down an inch. Thinks there are a few teams that have gone through this exercise, and we're at a point now where everyone's sort of dug in and people are waiting for Buffalo to shake a little bit for a team to be the first to jump at it.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

The Eichel stuff is serious. Well past the point of 'just checking in' type calls. There's framework that's tabled, and now it's essentially a waiting game to see if the price sneaks down an inch. Thinks there are a few teams that have gone through this exercise, and we're at a point now where everyone's sort of dug in and people are waiting for Buffalo to shake a little bit for a team to be the first to jump at it.

So like I was saying. Eichel as new captain.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So like I was saying. Eichel as new captain.
Whoa... sounds great but we aren't there yet.
Always best to be prepared for nothing to happen with this organization.
I shall remain pessimistic wallowing in self pity and morass.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Give Eichel pls

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Does your buddy have any idea how long this might take? Ie. Soon?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Does your buddy have any idea how long this might take? Ie. Soon?

I can't speak for him, but I think this Eichel saga will be done in the next two weeks. I don't think he makes it to the draft, because I believe that most trades that are tabled for him include the 2021 first rounder.

Reactions: Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Anybody heard any rumors about Treliving being interested in Adam Larsson?
I know since he's a RD there really isn't an obvious opening for him... But signing him out from under Edmonton's nose would be so sweet.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I know since he's a RD there really isn't an obvious opening for him... But signing him out from under Edmonton's nose would be so sweet.
Especially at the alleged price of 3.9M per... that would be a pretty sweet deal.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

There was a report that the Flames brass really like him a few days ago, they think he's a tough guy to play against.
I think he'd be a solid signing. Would be sort of the 2/3 RD depending on the situation, big dude who can be physical; insulated a bit with Calgary's depth.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Especially at the alleged price of 3.9M per... that would be a pretty sweet deal.
Hell... I'd be willing to beat that offer with a 4x4 offer.
Can Andersson play the left side? Or better yet... can Larsson?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Whoa... sounds great but we aren't there yet.
Always best to be prepared for nothing to happen with this organization.
I shall remain pessimistic wallowing in self pity and morass.

Worth mentioning, he said that the executives/management are like DEFCON 1 in terms of secrecy this year.
There's so many balls in the air that they really don't any of this information leaking out internally. They understand there's nothing they can do when guys like Bruce Garrioch get their info from the Sens side of the coin, but he thinks that they've literally looked at 100 different situations across the league to make a shakeup within this team; there's very few players that haven't been talked about in trades and having that sort of be out there doesn't really make players feel great :laugh:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

I want to believe.

Tkachuk+ or something?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Who knows... maybe Andersson + ?? could be on the trade block for Eichel which would make signing Larsson a much more attractve route to take.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I'm not sure Arizona would do Looch for OEL and Crouse. Kind of a small payment for a team trying to get ahead. I've noted most of the D core has gone to UFA.

OEL may very well be their anchor even if they've wanted to move him.

I thonk Kylington or one of our other young D would have to be in the discussion.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I was previously against targetting Larsson, but if we lose Gio I don't think its the worst idea.

That said, Tanev and Larsson has the makings of a really offensively anemic backend.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I was previously against targetting Larsson, but if we lose Gio I don't think its the worst idea.

That said, Tanev and Larsson has the makings of a really offensively anemic backend.
You're right! We need to make it a complete sweep and go after Barrie too!

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Excitement over Eichel had better be tempered by the unknown of his neck injury. It won't do us any good to trade a Tkachuk and parts for the guy only to see him on LTIR.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Just sign Edler. Treliving tried to trade for him before and he's already brought in Tanev and Markstrom. Then there's Lindholm, Andersson and Backlund. All the Swedes.

It's this years Canadian shuffle.

Larsson to Vancouver
Edler to Calgary
Hamonic & Hymen (6Mx7rs, full nmc) to Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad