Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Doughty could still play at a high level but he's completely checked out in LA. Karlsson's career died for the 2017 Sens though

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Has anyone seen Markus Nurmi play? 6 round pick never offered a contract, he is 22 years old 6'4 RW almost a ppg in Liiga. On paper looks ideal for us. I hope we bring him over next year and see what he can do.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If Sharks committed to a full rebuild where they were fine holding onto tons of cash; I’d do Karlsson on a 40% retention. Problem is Calgary doesn’t have many bad contracts to toss back SJ’s way.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Has anyone seen Markus Nurmi play? 6 round pick never offered a contract, he is 22 years old 6'4 RW almost a ppg in Liiga. On paper looks ideal for us. I hope we bring him over next year and see what he can do.

Sounds like a player with a calibre something in between Pulujarvi and Tuulola. I'd be interested in throwing him a flyer.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
If Sharks committed to a full rebuild where they were fine holding onto tons of cash; I’d do Karlsson on a 40% retention. Problem is Calgary doesn’t have many bad contracts to toss back SJ’s way.
Sounds nice on paper for the flames but that would take a literal boatload for the sharks to accept. Sharks would be paying 4.6 x 6 into the void when we could just play Karlsson and equally suck.

Reactions: Mazatt

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Just thinking about Tkachuk - Lindholm - Dube and how they have been... meh, how do you realistically fix that line without altering things that stick elsewhere in the lineup?

It feels weird to muse on lineups after a 3 wins in a row but I think there's a degree of change we should see since our season really needs Tkachuk running a line and being impactful. Conversely, though, options are limited on where he can go. Does he go with Backlund? That line has been the straw that stirs the drink for Calgary 5v5 and displacing any part of that doesn't seem fair when they are working hard, deep, and rely on speed to establish themselves. Do you put him on the top line? A promotion feels weird and moving Bennett from that grouping would be equally weird when we want to give him a chance. That's what Ward did today and it didn't feel particularly effective since he still seems to be doing well in special teams but wasn't super noticable otherwise.

So then it comes down to inserting someone with Tkachuk within the top 6 to catch a spark and it feels as though Dube is catching the short end of the stick because he is in the most replaceable position to get Tkachuk going. They're starting to try Leivo with Tkachuk and Lindholm and it looked... ok? I think maybe Tkachuk needs to get away from the hard matchup game but he was on the Flames matchup lines in their best seasons and Bennett doesn't fit on a lock down line since he relies on chaos so much, imo.

So just musing, do the Flames consider breaking up that line with Backlund to get Tkachuk or even Dube there? Or do they possibly consider putting Tkachuk to the top line, put Dube - Lindholm - Bennett as a pseudo third line, and rely on Backlund for a lot of defensive assignments? Because it's hard to blame Lindholm for not driving play when he is defending excellently and consistently leads our forwards in ice time (he has 2 games below 20 minutes of ice time). Just seems hard to figure how you adjust to get Tkachuk going without putting a deserving forward in Dube down, or by messing up the chemsitry on other lines.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Just thinking about Tkachuk - Lindholm - Dube and how they have been... meh, how do you realistically fix that line without altering things that stick elsewhere in the lineup?

It feels weird to muse on lineups after a 3 wins in a row but I think there's a degree of change we should see since our season really needs Tkachuk running a line and being impactful. Conversely, though, options are limited on where he can go. Does he go with Backlund? That line has been the straw that stirs the drink for Calgary 5v5 and displacing any part of that doesn't seem fair when they are working hard, deep, and rely on speed to establish themselves. Do you put him on the top line? A promotion feels weird and moving Bennett from that grouping would be equally weird when we want to give him a chance. That's what Ward did today and it didn't feel particularly effective since he still seems to be doing well in special teams but wasn't super noticable otherwise.

So then it comes down to inserting someone with Tkachuk within the top 6 to catch a spark and it feels as though Dube is catching the short end of the stick because he is in the most replaceable position to get Tkachuk going. They're starting to try Leivo with Tkachuk and Lindholm and it looked... ok? I think maybe Tkachuk needs to get away from the hard matchup game but he was on the Flames matchup lines in their best seasons and Bennett doesn't fit on a lock down line since he relies on chaos so much, imo.

So just musing, do the Flames consider breaking up that line with Backlund to get Tkachuk or even Dube there? Or do they possibly consider putting Tkachuk to the top line, put Dube - Lindholm - Bennett as a pseudo third line, and rely on Backlund for a lot of defensive assignments? Because it's hard to blame Lindholm for not driving play when he is defending excellently and consistently leads our forwards in ice time (he has 2 games below 20 minutes of ice time). Just seems hard to figure how you adjust to get Tkachuk going without putting a deserving forward in Dube down, or by messing up the chemsitry on other lines.
There was an article on flames nation about how the Tkachuk-Lindholm-Leivo combo had stupidly good advanced stats but they managed all of 0 shots on net, but when Leivo was swapped with Dube their advanced stats dropped to below 50% on everything, but they were actually getting some shots resulting in a couple goals. I'd basically give the TLL line another game or two, and try Dube on the fourth, and give him some powerplay time to not completely bury his minutes. See if Dube can get going with Ryan when he gets back, and have Simon on the other wing.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
You could just move Dube on the Monahan line and Bennett with Tkachuk and see what happens.
iu

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sounds nice on paper for the flames but that would take a literal boatload for the sharks to accept. Sharks would be paying 4.6 x 6 into the void when we could just play Karlsson and equally suck.

Absolutely.
It doesn't make sense unless there's a huge retention though. For his play this year, from what I've seen, he might be the worst contract in the NHL. Unfortunately, you don't get your cake and then the ability to eat it too in this league; a team trading for Karlsson would be taking a huge gamble.

I expect him to playout in SJ until he hangs them up kind of thing. He seems like they type that might call it early; especially if San Jose continues to be bad.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Absolutely.
It doesn't make sense unless there's a huge retention though. For his play this year, from what I've seen, he might be the worst contract in the NHL. Unfortunately, you don't get your cake and then the ability to eat it too in this league; a team trading for Karlsson would be taking a huge gamble.

I expect him to playout in SJ until he hangs them up kind of thing. He seems like they type that might call it early; especially if San Jose continues to be bad.
I agree. The best the sharks can really hope for is him and Vlasic retiring or getting a "career ending" injury and put on LTIR.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I agree. The best the sharks can really hope for is him and Vlasic retiring or getting a "career ending" injury and put on LTIR.

Also, who knows if the guy would be okay to be moved elsewhere.
He didn't seem to like the Canadian bubble. If he was up here playing like he has been, he would be getting crucified on every media outlet right now.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Curious to see at which point some movement starts. Still early obviously, but an April 12th deadline plus a 14 day quarantine from the states gives you like 5-6 games out of an acquisition before playoffs.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Curious to see at which point some movement starts. Still early obviously, but an April 12th deadline plus a 14 day quarantine from the states gives you like 5-6 games out of an acquisition before playoffs.
I would imagine things will start to happen around the 25-30 game mark. If we make a trade after game #30, using the Dubois trade as a model, it would give us about 16 games remaining before the end of the season.

Reactions: User1996

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Would Ottawa do Tkachuk for Sturzle or something else?

Let them unite the brothers

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Would Ottawa do Tkachuk for Sturzle or something else?

Let them unite the brothers

I said we should trade Tkachuk for Stutzle in the off-season when it might have actually happened. You guys called me a lunatic

Reactions: DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This team is going nowhere.

Fire Trevliving
Hire a new GM and have a firesale. A complete rebuild is needed. Only a fool thinks this team is capable of winning a playoff round.

Even the Canucks have some good young players. We have a bunch of lazy ass losers

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
It's one bad game for a team that notoriously starts slow. That is way too early to be sounding the rebuild bell

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
It's one bad game for a team that notoriously starts slow. That is way too early to be sounding the rebuild bell

Not saying we should rebuild but we have had way more than 1 bad game, hell i can only think of 1 game where we looked engaged for 60 minutes.

We have to stop the acceptance of shitty games by this team because "they always start slow". We don't have time to waste in a short season.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Not saying we should rebuild but we have had way more than 1 bad game, hell i can only think of 1 game where we looked engaged for 60 minutes.

We have to stop the acceptance of shitty games by this team because "they always start slow". We don't have time to waste in a short season.
Not to mention, when we’re 1/4 done the season, I don’t think you can blame it on starting slow all that much anymore.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think you mean one good game?

I mean we only got outplayed badly by one of the worst teams in hockey twice

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
You could just move Dube on the Monahan line and Bennett with Tkachuk and see what happens.
or move Lindholm to the Monahan line and run a Tkachuk/Bennett/Dube line.....
or if Backlund is out longer term the flames should go
Gaudreau/Monahan/Leivo or Simon
Tkachuk/Lindholm/Simon or Leivo
Mangiapane/Bennett/Dube
Lucic/Nordstrom/Froese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad