Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Carlo is not a throw in. I don't mind the trade idea, but we gotta add quite a bit here.
Personally, I think Boston would be adding. I think Hanifin has equal, if not more than Carlo. I love Debrusk but just because he gets his tires pumped more than Mangi, doesn't necessarily mean he's better, just a different type of player.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I freaking love these rumors. Every day, something different. Today I hear Calgary is all in on Markstrom if he hits free agency.
I love the draft, and love free agent frenzy.
This year is going to be absolute insanity.
Biggest goalie carousel ever.
Wow.
I'm excited. Can't wait to see what we end up with when we start the next year.
Any predictions?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Personally, I think Boston would be adding. I think Hanifin has equal, if not more than Carlo. I love Debrusk but just because he gets his tires pumped more than Mangi, doesn't necessarily mean he's better, just a different type of player.

I think it's the other way around. Let's say Hanifin and Carlo are equal I'm not convinced Debrusk = Mangiapane. Even if Hanifin is worth a little bit more, it's not the value gap between the two.

I freaking love these rumors. Every day, something different. Today I hear Calgary is all in on Markstrom if he hits free agency.
Wow.
Any predictions?

This year has been more interesting for sure. More rumors out there, concentrated in a smaller time frame. Covid and Expansion causing a demand for more moves than in previous years.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wow.
Any predictions?

70% chance this turns into a tire fire in Calgary.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gotcha. This was under the assumption that Pietrangelo was coming in and Lucic was off the books with Rask indeed coming in.

That’s fine. But Petro is independent from Boston. I’d take Gaudreau and Rask out or if you want Johnny, someone like McAvoy has to be going back.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I bet you Boston listens given their cap space and the fact that the Bruins are in win-now with Rask, Krejci, Bergeron and Marchand all in the latter stages of their career and Pastrnak on a sweetheart deal.

No, I mean could a 1RD ever be traded for three picks?

My eventual point is never say never.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
What I found about him was that it was never really about peaks and valleys for him, it's more about a weird systematic flaw in his play-style/mentality. He was consistently in good position and made the saves he should make in most situations. The one huge exception, though, is whenever the play comes up the half-wall. He seems to just have a strange hole in his game in this situation and he turns off and stops tracking the puck.

In game 1, he was nearly flawless, but after the first goal was a wicked deflection, the second goal came on a weak wrister after the puck came up the half-wall. Talbot looked unprepared.
In game 2, it's hard to blame him for the first two goals on rebounds and breakaways respectively, but then a puck comes up the half-wall and again he is unprepared for a weak wrister. The other two goals were not on him.
Didn't happen in the next three games, but fast-forward to game 6 and this weakness costs us the series. First goal is a PP goal on a one-timer, but with no traffic and from a decent distance out, he shouldn't be beaten. The puck comes up from the corner to Heiskanen, and Talbot seems unprepared. No matter, the Flames go back on the front foot. Second period starts, and Gurianov moves the puck up the half-wall, then flings a weak wrister past an unprepared Talbot. Then the puck goes from the corner up the half-wall to Lindell, and despite the deflection, it's still a quick shot where Talbot looks completely unprepared for a puck to come his way. Our lead evaporates before we've really given up a single quality chance to the Stars.

If Talbot is going to be a starting goalie in this league, he needs to figure out this odd blind spot in his game.
I think near flawless is generous for game 1. He didn't have to make a difficult save all night but managed to let in total backbreaker of a goal which gave Dallas momentum out of nowhere

Game 2... I mean you expect a top tier goalie to save at least 3 of those 4 goals. Especially both Heiskanen goals

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
No, I mean could a 1RD ever be traded for three picks?

My eventual point is never say never.

As in a McAvoy offer-sheet? When he is up again for a raise Bergeron, Krejci and Rask will all be off the books. Bruins are set for quite awhile given their top line all making 6.8, 6.6 and 6.1 annually. 19.5 million for the entire top line means plenty of money for McAvoy in the future.

Then again, you did use Dougie logic.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think near flawless is generous for game 1. He didn't have to make a difficult save all night but managed to let in total backbreaker of a goal which gave Dallas momentum out of nowhere

Game 2... I mean you expect a top tier goalie to save at least 3 of those 4 goals. Especially both Heiskanen goals
The first Heiskanen goal was a breakaway. If you give up a breakaway, you don't "expect" a save IMO.

The second one was the one I was referring to that fit his pattern of losing focus and not being ready when a puck moves up the half-wall.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I appreciate your optimism.

Good chance it's a tire fire no matter the scenario.

Do nothing? Tire fire.

Trade futures for help today? Tire fire.

Trade members of the core? Tire fire.

It has more to do with what the rumours are right now.

- move Hanifin
- sign Markstrom
- looking at OEL and/or Kuemper

there’s probably a 50% chance we trade Hanifin for some RW, sign Markstrom and some shitty Hamonic replacement and say ‘the core is now changed’.

I’ve just lost confidence in this management staff right now. It feels whenever we build on something we’re either too quick to change direction or not looking at the real problems. I’ve been a die hard BT supporter his entire tenure here, I think most can attest to that... but man. Rumours of giving up on another young stud D this early, looking at guys like OEL, going to shove out big dough for Markstrom... all these rumours have me very unpumped about what’s going to happen over the next three weeks.

that all said, if we get a centre and some other shenanigans that no one’s talking about; I’ll be right back to where I normally stand with BT.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The first Heiskanen goal was a breakaway. If you give up a breakaway, you don't "expect" a save IMO.

The second one was the one I was referring to that fit his pattern of losing focus and not being ready when a puck moves up the half-wall.
Of course you expect a save. An average goalie saves 2/3 shootout opportunities. This was a defenseman on a 1-on-1 who had all the space in the world and took a soft slapper from about 30 feet out because of a lack of creativity. An NHL caliber goalie should save 100 of 100 of those.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I appreciate your optimism.

Good chance it's a tire fire no matter the scenario.

Do nothing? Tire fire.

Trade futures for help today? Tire fire.

Trade members of the core? Tire fire.

I keep reading too quickly and seeing "Tre Fire" :laugh:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It has more to do with what the rumours are right now.

- move Hanifin
- sign Markstrom
- looking at OEL and/or Kuemper

there’s probably a 50% chance we trade Hanifin for some RW, sign Markstrom and some shitty Hamonic replacement and say ‘the core is now changed’.

I’ve just lost confidence in this management staff right now. It feels whenever we build on something we’re either too quick to change direction or not looking at the real problems. I’ve been a die hard BT supporter his entire tenure here, I think most can attest to that... but man. Rumours of giving up on another young stud D this early, looking at guys like OEL, going to shove out big dough for Markstrom... all these rumours have me very unpumped about what’s going to happen over the next three weeks.

that all said, if we get a centre and some other shenanigans that no one’s talking about; I’ll be right back to where I normally stand with BT.

Serious question, when was the last time these types of rumors popped up and they came true? IIRC, many of Treliving's moves kinda come out of left field/lots of quiet before the final rumblings.

- Zucker
- Kadri
- Hamonic
- Hall
- Hanifin/Lindholm
- Mark Stone
etc.

If I recall correctly, the louder certain rumors were, the less likely they seemed to be true in their final form or we'd hear about our serious involvement only moments before the end.

IMO, I wouldn't take the rumors too seriously.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
That’s fine. But Petro is independent from Boston. I’d take Gaudreau and Rask out or if you want Johnny, someone like McAvoy has to be going back.
You really need to adjust your blinders if you think that getting a young #1 d-man for two years of anyone is worth it. Remember when Heiskanen wasn't involved in a deal for Karlsson? yeah, kinda like that

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Also, if the only excuse for not trading Hanifin is that we have traded a d-man that was good and he got better before, why would we ever trade anyone

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think it's the other way around. Let's say Hanifin and Carlo are equal I'm not convinced Debrusk = Mangiapane. Even if Hanifin is worth a little bit more, it's not the value gap between the two.
I think Hanifin holds a fair bit more value than Carlo, especially if you take perception into consideration. Boston is looking at Hanifin as a young, local, longterm top pairing partner for McAvoy. We're looking at Carlo as a young #4 replacement for Hamonic. That difference alone should make up the difference between Mangi and Debrusk. In the end, I'd expect cap hit to be pretty comparable too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You really need to adjust your blinders if you think that getting a young #1 d-man for two years of anyone is worth it. Remember when Heiskanen wasn't involved in a deal for Karlsson? yeah, kinda like that

Gaudreau just came off a poor season. Trading him for a knee jerk reaction is exactly what we shouldn’t be doing. If we’re not getting a return such as that (top pairing dman or 1C), I’d be livid if he was moved. He’s a 100pt player. I doubt Boston would dare moving Pasta for anything less either, as they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad