Halak:

Salary Cap Hit

2014-15 28 $3,500,000 $4,500,000
2015-16 29 $4,750,000 $4,500,000
2016-17 30 $4,750,000 $4,500,000
2017-18 31 $5,000,000 $4,500,000

moon*

Well that formatted horribly

Cap hit of 4.5 million for 3 years after this.

Actual salary is slightly more but that shouldn't really matter to us at all.

moon*

2 years not 3 years is what I should have written.

And now I see Hoxville had it before me anyways.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
2 years not 3 years is what I should have written.

And now I see Hoxville had it before me anyways.

Considering we're paying Hiller that now and could have a Ortio for under a million as a backup, I think it's a solid plan. Especially considering we would be using Widemans cap to acquire him.

The other option is Bernier, but I'm not sure we go that route.

moon*

Considering we're paying Hiller that now and could have a Ortio for under a million as a backup, I think it's a solid plan. Especially considering we would be using Widemans cap to acquire him.

The other option is Bernier, but I'm not sure we go that route.

If you can do Halak for Wideman (maybe even a small add on) I make that deal all day long.

Prefer that to just signing Reimer as it rids us of Widemans deal.

I have a hard time believing that the Isles are interested but I guess if they are fine with Greiss/Berube and they get to save a year of Halak's salary and trade him for a piece they can use maybe with their money issues they do that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think it's that far fetched, really. Maybe we retain a million to make it more attractive for the Isles?

Halak is not a negative asset by any stretch, but he's had a rough year and has been injured a fair bit. Greiss has been much better overall and has shown he's capable of handling the majority of starts, which makes Halak an expensive backup for a cap team. As 100 mentioned, getting Wideman gives the Isles more depth on the blueline and thus more options in trading Hamonic. I think Wideman and Halak had about par seasons at their respective positions so I think the value is about the same. I don't think many teams would be lining up to take Halak off the Isles hands so both teams exchanging cap to fill various needs actually makes quite a bit of sense.
We wouldn't need to retain, Halak may only have a 4.5 cap hit but they owe him almost 10 million and this idea was sprouted by rumors that they may look to move him and go with Greiss/Berube next year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames are a finalist for Daniel Pribyl as per Bob McKenzie and Damien Cox claims we are going hard after Alex Lyon

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Pribyl looks interesting. Huge dude, right shot, and still pretty young.

Alex Lyon also seems to have some stellar numbers with Yale the past couple years

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pribyl looks interesting. Huge dude, right shot, and still pretty young.

Alex Lyon also seems to have some stellar numbers with Yale the past couple years

I'd be down with getting both. pribyl looks like he has some nice hands, but I don't believe he uses his size effectively. I think he could potentially be a solid 2/3 RW

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pribyl seems like an intriguing player, hopefully he is quick enough for our top 6.
I don't recall reading anything about his skating, just know he has good hands, good shot, hard worker and not really physical. But these are also scouting reports that haven't been updated in 3-4 years

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
The Flames acquired a conditional four round pick from the Nashville Predators on July 1, 2015 in a deal that sent Max Reinhart, originally draft by the Flames in the third round of the 2010 NHL Draft, to Tennessee. The conditions on this pick were not met so Nashville will retain their fourth round selection.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=876242

:cry:

(edit) If this was an april fools joke, well played, Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It helps that they've clarified the conditions weren't met, as nobody seemed to know what the conditions were just speculation from Woger.
I thnk it is safe to speculate now that the condition was 5 NHL games for Max. Since the Preds have just 4 left and and he not seen an NHL game, it would make the most sense due to the timing of the announcement.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The way I see it for next year

JG - Money - X
Shinkaruk - Bennett - Frolik
Bouma - Backlund - Colborne
Ferland - Stajan - Hathaway
Jooris/Bollig

Gio - Brodie
Wotherspoon - Hamilton
Kevin - Engs
Nakladal/Smid(if we don't buy him out or trade him)

X
Ortio

Wideman has to be traded imo I like the Halak for Wideman idea.
If we could move Engs I'd like to grab Demers to play with Hammy but I think thats a pipe dream.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Brad once again has to turn a bunch of mediocre, but still NHL-caliber players, into one good piece. I think he'll do a good job.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The Flames should try Engelland at forward, see if he can keep up with the top line. Gaudreau and Monahan seem to be able to produce offense without anyone else, and Engelland loves to throw the body. He's played forward before, and it would really solve the defensive logjam.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Next season will obviously need to be another growth season in the rebuild, but if Treliving has a good off-season this summer the Flames could be set up real solidly for the 2017/18 season when all the dead weight has come off the books (except Stajan).

This off-season wishlist:

1. Lock up Johnny long term
2. Lock up Mony long term
3. Get a solid starting goaltender // multi-year (Reimer?)
4. Get a solid back-up goaltender // multi-year (Ortio?)
5. Re-sign Nakladal // multi-year
6. Re-sign Colborne // multi-year
7. Offer Lucic 6 years, $6 million per (not sure if he'd sign here, but the Flames really need a big nasty player like this for the top six)
8. Have a solid draft

Then the NEXT off-season, depending on how well they perform, the key pieces to re-sign look to be pending RFA's Bennett and Jokipakka.

If all these happen, then the pieces to build the team around starting 2017/18 would be as follows:

1. Gaudreau ($7.500) - Monahan ($6.000) - Empty Slot #1
2. M. Lucic ($6.000) - S. Bennett ($5.000) - Empty Slot #2
3. Colborne ($2.000) - Backlund ($3.575) - M. Frolik ($4.300)
4. L. Bouma ($2.200) - M. Stajan ($3.125) - Empty Slot #3

1. Giordano ($6.750) - Hamilton ($5.750)
2. Jokipakka ($3.000) - Brodie ($4.650)
3. Empty Slot #4 - Nakladal ($1.000)

1. Starter ($4.500)
2. Ortio ($0.900)

Total Amount Against Cap - $66.250

Assuming a cap of roughly $76 million, that leaves $9-10 million to fill the empty slots with.

This is also assuming Jokipakka rounds into a decent top 4 defenseman next season, and Bennett has an outstanding sophomore season, both earning pretty massive raises.

Is that the backbone of a playoff team?
Is that the backbone of a potential contender?

To fill out the empty forward slots internally you have the 2016 1st round pick (Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Dubois, Tkatchuk, Nylander, etc) Shinkaruk, Poirier, Mangiapane, Jankowski, Pollock, Agostino, Ferland, Hathaway, Jooris, Hamilton, Smith, Carroll, and on and on. Could also fill them via trade or UFA signing, for instance a guy like Pribyl maybe.

To fill out the empty defense slot internally you have the 2016 1st round pick (if not a forward Chuchryn, Juolevi, Sergachev) Kylington, Anderssen, Wotherspoon, Kulak, Culkin and so forth.

Anyways, if done right this team is really set up to turn the corner starting the 2017/18 season in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad