Speculation: Armchair GM/Rumors Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He does seem a little underrated. The only concern is durability. But something between 4 to 5M per for two to three years would perfectly acceptable.

I do think Joni Ortio played himself into the conversation for split starting with an average/above average goalie. Like 50-32 kind of thing. As long as Jonas Hiller is about as far away from Calgary's net as possible.

3 year deal is fine for me. Give Gillies time to get healthy, get competing and getting ready to be our future in net. By next year (2017-2018) Gillies should hopefully be in the backup roll.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Would anyone be comfortable with 4.2 (Talbot) for a few years on Reim?

With the Sharks in front of him, he's been great, like .925SV% great, sub 2GAA great. Even in Toronto with that joke of a team in front of him, he had stats that would have kept Calgary in the playoff picture.

:laugh:

2 year deal at that number makes sense. Just need to make sure he doesn't have a NMC so we use him as expansion bait.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Reimer+Ortio

It's cheap, won't cost significant assets and should be hold the tide until Gillies is ready or the Flames can poach a Murray or Vasilevskiy.

Or Halak (for Wideman)+Ortio. Same thing.

Bishop would cost a first plus while Andersen isn't nearly worth what it would cost given how's he barely an upgrade on Ramo.

I'd move a top 10 protected pick (next years pick) + Macdonald. He makes us playoff team imo and gives Gillies time in the AHL and Ortio can be our cheap back up.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Would anyone be comfortable with 4.2 (Talbot) for a few years on Reim?

With the Sharks in front of him, he's been great, like .925SV% great, sub 2GAA great. Even in Toronto with that joke of a team in front of him, he had stats that would have kept Calgary in the playoff picture.

:laugh:
The leafs aren't a joke of a team defensively this year. Their big issue is their total lack of offensive firepower. And Bernier.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't mind Reimer as long as it's only for 1/2 years. Give him around $4M and let Ortio back him up and it'd be respectable, better than this year.
A goalie I DO NOT WANT is Andersen. I really think he's benefited from that Ducks team, and on a team like ours would look Hiller-esque(although not as bad).

Regardless, next year we are going to suuuuuck again.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I wouldn't mind Reimer as long as it's only for 1/2 years. Give him around $4M and let Ortio back him up and it'd be respectable, better than this year.
A goalie I DO NOT WANT is Andersen. I really think he's benefited from that Ducks team, and on a team like ours would look Hiller-esque(although not as bad).

Regardless, next year we are going to suuuuuck again.

I'm not sure next year is going to suck nearly as bad, I think we compete for a playoff spot as long as we get a decent starting goalie (and especially if we find a physical winger for the top line). I hope we get some new pk and pp coaches as even a mediocre special teams will be a vast improvement on this year.

Brodie shouldn't miss the start of the year
Gio shouldn't be recovering from a major injury
Hamilton looks like he has found his game on this team
Bennett is going to be better than this year giving us good center depth for the first time in a long time
Most of our team is young I expect to be a better team next year

We were competing for a playoff spot before Ramo went down, even with all the other problems.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
The other reason we were in the playoff picture was because Anaheim was HORRENDOUS to start the season. Along with San Jose being bad. I don't see us having a better regular season than any of the California teams for a while so we'll ultimatey have to get in through wild card which means getting more points than one of Nashville or Minnesota. Minnesota being the more likely one.

This will be an interesting season though. LA is likely going to lose at least one top line forward (Lucic) and San Jose will likely change up a bit this off season with Marleau and Thorton a year older.

I don't have high hopes for next season. 2017-2018 is when I see us making some noise.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I'd move a top 10 protected pick (next years pick) + Macdonald. He makes us playoff team imo and gives Gillies time in the AHL and Ortio can be our cheap back up.

I wouldn't be willing to give up much, a decent goalie will maybe help us get to the playoffs but will not make us a contender. So there is no way I would trade a first and good goalie prospect for a stop gap goaltender. Better off signing one of the guys who are UFA than giving up that kind of package when we are still rebuilding.

What we gave up last year was for a guy that is a big part of the future, not so sure the same could be said for any goaltender that could be available l

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The other reason we were in the playoff picture was because Anaheim was HORRENDOUS to start the season. Along with San Jose being bad. I don't see us having a better regular season than any of the California teams for a while so we'll ultimatey have to get in through wild card which means getting more points than one of Nashville or Minnesota. Minnesota being the more likely one.

This will be an interesting season though. LA is likely going to lose at least one top line forward (Lucic) and San Jose will likely change up a bit this off season with Marleau and Thorton a year older.

I don't have high hopes for next season. 2017-2018 is when I see us making some noise.

this is pretty much my thinking as well. We'll be hard pressed to beat the Cali teams, SJ is still SJ, and Arizona may surprise people again. so its wild card or bust, and i doubt we beat out teams like Nashville or Minnesota, or if Winnipeg has a good year they could squeak in.

basically, unless we DO have a fair amount of roster turnover, better top 6 wingers, legitimate starting g, we are going to be bottom of the Pacific again IMO.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I wouldn't be willing to give up much, a decent goalie will maybe help us get to the playoffs but will not make us a contender. So there is no way I would trade a first and good goalie prospect for a stop gap goaltender. Better off signing one of the guys who are UFA than giving up that kind of package when we are still rebuilding.

What we gave up last year was for a guy that is a big part of the future, not so sure the same could be said for any goaltender that could be available l

Yea I get what your saying but for me to get a top 10 goalie right now I would be willing to pay as he could cover up alot of our mistakes and I'm really not that high on Macdonald. I see him having another 5-6 great years in him which gives Gillies more than enough time to prove he is an NHL starter.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
this is pretty much my thinking as well. We'll be hard pressed to beat the Cali teams, SJ is still SJ, and Arizona may surprise people again. so its wild card or bust, and i doubt we beat out teams like Nashville or Minnesota, or if Winnipeg has a good year they could squeak in.

basically, unless we DO have a fair amount of roster turnover, better top 6 wingers, legitimate starting g, we are going to be bottom of the Pacific again IMO.

I don't see Winnipeg or Arizona being drastically better than us, I'd say we are in the same boat as them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Seriously, move Wideman's cap out and bring in Halak in return. Halak is the definition of a stop gap and his career numbers are about the league average for netminders each year. That solves our issues for the next year and Ortio can take the starts that Halak will surely miss due to injuries. That way we are not losing any significant assets for a goalie, it allows Gillies time to develop and we can spend a couple 2nd's to get a topline winger.

Starix

Jan 31, 2015
There's talk on the Colorado board about trading one of Varlamov or Pickard. Would be interested in either one. Likely wouldn't happen until next off season but definitely interesting.

Pickard would be good, alright numbers behind a Avs team similar to ours, although not a big sample. Picard/Ortio would be low cost, allowing cap flexibility to pursue FA wingers.

moon*

Reimer I would go for the 4 million range on a 3 year deal max.

Give Gillies next year as the full time starter in the AHL with no need to rush him up to the NHL. Then if he is ready he can come up in either of the seasons after that with Reimer as the back-up or in more of a split roll.

I am not a fan of giving up a 1st even for a guy like Bishop because our holes are bigger than goalie and I am not sure the upgrade of Bishop from Reimer really changes much in terms of winning a cup for the Flames. Use that first to address the wing issue whether by trade or drafting and go with the cheaper option in net.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I still think Miller/Bernier as more realistic. Can't see the Isles giving up Halak.

Where are we gonna free up 10+ million in cap space?

And Greiss has been outplaying Halak by a wide margin and they also have Berube.

Hard to say. Staples (Isles beat reporter) seemed to think it was highly likely Halak gets moved.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
For me the first domino that has to fall is whether gillies will have to be protected in an expansion draft after next season.

If so then I'm all for a stop gap next year without trading any assets of significance. Why trade for a top goalie then lose him after one season?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That simple, huh? :laugh:

I don't think it's that far fetched, really. Maybe we retain a million to make it more attractive for the Isles?

Halak is not a negative asset by any stretch, but he's had a rough year and has been injured a fair bit. Greiss has been much better overall and has shown he's capable of handling the majority of starts, which makes Halak an expensive backup for a cap team. As 100 mentioned, getting Wideman gives the Isles more depth on the blueline and thus more options in trading Hamonic. I think Wideman and Halak had about par seasons at their respective positions so I think the value is about the same. I don't think many teams would be lining up to take Halak off the Isles hands so both teams exchanging cap to fill various needs actually makes quite a bit of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad