Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
He's a sideshow

Not a winner
The Blue Jackets could use a league-wide marketable personality like that. He’s also very good with fans. No, he isn’t a horse like a Nate MacKinnon, but there is absolutely a role for him on a good team, especially from the PR standpoint. I do not understand what Verbeek is thinking. You luck into a star like that at ninth overall, you keep him happy, especially when you have as much cap space as they do.

Again, I don’t think we should make the move, especially since our prospect pool is pretty similar to the Ducks’, but he would be an incredible addition for the Blue Jackets both on and off the ice. We don’t need to shit on him.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Would Zegras play well in PO? Question for the connoisseurs, how does he play defense, without the puck, when his team is pressured, a case of under forchecking? Or does he need free ice, teammates to clear space for him? Again there are only questions.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
As many mentioned, we have KJ for this exact type. The price to acquire Zegras would be too steep. I would consider Sillinger and a pick but not much outside of that
Even if that pick was an unprotected CBJ first I doubt Anaheim would make that trade and as you said CBJ have Johnson so the need is zero. I expect Johnson to take a step up this year. Johnson can do what Zegras does he just does it without towing the line of disrespect to the other team. Zegras has talent but you might be able to tell I'm not a fan of his game.

Reactions: Marioesque

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i'm gonna die on this "add zegras" hill lol. he has his flaws but at 22 he's not a finished product, has top line talent, and has been productive at center. he's more likely to turn into a legit star player than he is to be a(n elite) complimentary player – but even then, as the second fiddle to fantilli, he'd be awesome.

zegras and KJ share a build, playstyle and handedness, but guys like that can coexist (i.e. kane + panarin) as long as they have a steady, direct player on that line (i.e. texier, jenner or marchenko). you'd have so much scoring in the top six that you can build true 'identity' lines in the bottom six on a club that, right now, lacks an identity.

to me, that means a more straightforward opportunity for guys like malatesta, voronkov and brindley to shine. the long-term vision would be something along these lines (assuming the bones of the deal would be Sillinger + the 2024 1st):

Player GroupingBreakdown/Impact
Long-term L1:
Gaudreau - Fantilli - Laine
Fast, physical, big-bodied 1C (Fantilli) flanked by two guys who can score in bunches + open up the ice for him. Elite (and extremely fun!) top line.
Long-term L2:
Johnson - Zegras - Marchenko
Two high-skill, high-IQ guys who can light up the offensive zone, paired with a big/fast/direct winger who scores near the net. Deployed heavily in the o-zone, but due to their strengths just as much as their relative weaknesses.
Short-term L3:
Texier - Jenner - Voronkov

Long-term L3:
Texier - Voronkov - Brindley
Short-term: High-compete checking line with a skilled puck transporting LW

Long-term: Two energetic two-way wings with offensive upside flanking a huge, physical center who plays a direct game (could swap Voronkov with Jenner or DBB)
Short-term L4:
ERob - Kuraly - Danforth

Long-term L4:
Malatesta - Jenner - Olivier
Short-term: Speedy, reliable line with mixed effectiveness as a checking line, but can provide energy

Long-term: Perhaps the biggest pain-in-the-ass line to play against in the sport (especially if Jenner keeps the L3 spot longer than expected, putting Voronkov at 4C)
Trade chips:
Chinakhov, Dumais, DBB, Whitelaw
Skilled young players who would be appealing as trade chips; used to bring in a goalie, shed an unwanted contract, shore up the defense or bring in physical veteran forward for bottom six.

goaltending is still a problem, but that problem suddenly becomes a lot easier to solve if you can dangle a chinakhov or dumais or del bel belluz in a trade – either to acquire a goalie or to shed an unwanted contract (or both). also gives guys like foudy, mckown and meyer a chance to stick around as depth pieces long-term.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just wondering which of your right shot D might be on the move? I was very surprised to see that you had 4 RHD play a significant amount of games last season and then you guys added Severson to the mix. What are you guys looking for if you move one of them?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just wondering which of your right shot D might be on the move? I was very surprised to see that you had 4 RHD play a significant amount of games last season and then you guys added Severson to the mix. What are you guys looking for if you move one of them?

Boqvist - mostly offense sniping D-man. He has a role this year (I think), but probably not long term with Jiricek coming next year. I think his value and role is analogous to Rasmus Sandin. We'd look for a late 1st.

Peeke - shutdown guy with poor breakout passing, somewhat redundant with Gudbranson who isn't as good as Peeke (imo) but can't be moved. I think we'd look for like a pair of 2nd rounders. Something like that.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Boqvist - mostly offense sniping D-man. He has a role this year (I think), but probably not long term with Jiricek coming next year. I think his value and role is analogous to Rasmus Sandin. We'd look for a late 1st.

Peeke - shutdown guy with poor breakout passing, somewhat redundant with Gudbranson who isn't as good as Peeke (imo) but can't be moved. I think we'd look for like a pair of 2nd rounders. Something like that.
We need someone that can defend and help to cover up Nurse's brain farts in the D zone. What is Boqvist's defense like? Is he strong in the corners for a smaller guy?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We need someone that can defend and help to cover up Nurse's brain farts in the D zone. What is Boqvist's defense like? Is he strong in the corners for a smaller guy?

Absolutely not.

Peeke would be a better fit for Nurse but not quite right either. I think Peeke would be best next to a great breakout passer. Like put him next to Quinn Hughes or something. Nurse is not bad at it though, maybe that would work.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

Definitely not Boqvist. He's more like Erik Karlson lite. Not really a defenseman, but he's really good at offense. Like a 4th fwd. He can defend but he's not physical. Kinda like DeAngelo, but Boqvist is a better defender, also a better shooter

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Definitely not Boqvist. He's more like Erik Karlson lite. Not really a defenseman, but he's really good at offense. Like a 4th fwd. He can defend but he's not physical. Kinda like DeAngelo, but Boqvist is a better defender, also a better shooter
Well Nurse played decently with Tyson Barrie. The problem is that while we could use another offensive type defenseman, we badly need a rock solid defensive D on the right side.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
The problem is that while we could use another offensive type defenseman, we badly need a rock solid defensive D on the right side.
Any chance Wanner gets called up early into the season? I thought he was solid in the prospect tournament, I don't know how he performed in Oilers main camp.

I agree that Peeke makes more sense for your team than Boqvist although as a CBJ fan I don't like the idea of him being moved instead of Boqvist.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree that Peeke makes more sense for your team than Boqvist although as a CBJ fan I don't like the idea of him being moved instead of Boqvist.

I really like Peeke's defense but I think we might be in a situation where both him and Boqvist are gone within a year. We'd still have four RHD in Severson, Jiricek, Blanks, and Guddy, and a lot more coming on the left side.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Any chance Wanner gets called up early into the season? I thought he was solid in the prospect tournament, I don't know how he performed in Oilers main camp.

I don't see it. If we don't make any trades or waiver claims Desharnais and Kemp are ahead of Wanner. Wanner likely takes 2-3 years in the AHL before being NHL ready. By then Akey might be on the team.

Reactions: tunnelvision

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i think peeke gets moved before boqvist simply to alleviate the roster math this season, and boqvist probably gets moved next summer at some point given that potentially all three of jiricek + mateychuk + svozil could be NHL-ready by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad