Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Honestly, I would have done Duchene at 1 year, $3m (or $3.5m bc Columbus tax) as a short term solution, but he doesn't really play center anymore. The issue with Hayes is his term.

Not sure Jenner - Fantilli is a great top 2 center group, but this team isn't competing for a Cup this season so the focus should be on developing KJ, Sillinger, Fantilli, and Marchenko.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
We probably could have signed Severson today for 5 x $5.5 but we decided to give up a 3rd round pick to give him more money and term.
That was kind of what I was saying last week. I haven't seen anyone get more term than Korpi's 5 years although I may have missed a deal and it's not over.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
We probably could have signed Severson today for 5 x $5.5 but we decided to give up a 3rd round pick to give him more money and term.
This is the key word. There is also a good chance that someone else signs him and the CBJ don't have a top RD. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Reactions: thebus88

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Yes everyone knows that when they reach the market they always sign for less

It all depends in the market. Some years it is crazy and someone gives way too much money and term to guys like Lucic and regret it almost immediately. Other years a guy doesn’t get a good offer on the first day and then starts to panic. Taylor Hall signed for one season with Buffalo a few years ago. Remember that? I think this is one of those years that there isnt much cap space and there a ton of free agents and it is a game of musical chairs. There will be some bargains this month.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
It all depends in the market.

I think this is one of those years that there isnt much cap space and there a ton of free agents and it is a game of musical chairs. There will be some bargains this month.
I think you are spot on. I was saying similar right before the draft took place. When you look at some of the forward giveaways last week, a few of the buyouts and some of the decent players that didn't get qualified you could just tell some good deals could be had this week by teams with cap and roster spots.

Reactions: koteka

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
When Duchene coming off a 56 pt season and 1 year removed from an 86 pt season signs for 1yr x 3m, I sure would not want to have the job of trying to trade Roslovic (4m 44pts) even if he is younger.

Reactions: koteka

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If you don't like RoR at 4.5 x 4 he's (32 signed to 36) you must hate Severson at 6.125 x 8 (he'll be 29 when camp opens signed to 37).
I do not love 8 years for Severson, no.

But unlike RoR, Severson hasn’t shown his age yet. Signing a guy who has shown signs of major regression for anything over 2 years is awful.

Severson might be an albatross contract by age 33 or 34. But if we get 5 good years out of him then I think we’ll be alright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad