Armchair GM: Offseason Roster Moves and Rumors

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
That's not what I saw with my own eyes this season.
Why are we comparing a winger with two centers?
we are talking about shooting talent, position doesn’t matter. Not sure why you even mention positions? If we must compare him to our wingers, his shooting ability isn’t even close (59,86,29).

Shooting ability is what you claimed he is/was good at.
When I think of Nylander scoring it’s usually right in front of the crease, off a pass from below the goaline OR it’s a 2 on 1 where he shoots the puck.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
we are talking about shooting talent, position doesn’t matter. Not sure why you even mention positions? If we must compare him to our wingers, his shooting ability isn’t even close (59,86,29).

Shooting ability is what you claimed he is/was good at.
You're comparing him to our top 6 wingers, he's a depth winger, who scored at .5pt/game pace who will be qualified for under 900,000 who isn't a defensive liability. Another 50 games this season and he would have had 20-30 goals playing at his current pace...

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
You're comparing him to our top 6 wingers, he's a depth winger, who scored at .5pt/game pace who will be qualified for under 900,000 who isn't a defensive liability. Another 50 games this season and he would have had 20-30 goals playing at his current pace...
Texier is a better player than him

30 goals… how many empty netters are you giving him lmao

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Ok, I have to spell it out. People around here seemingly hate Jones and treat him like he’s Jeff Carter, as if he turned his back on them and the team

The idea is that he asked out because the team was going through some type of “rebuild”.

My idea or theory is that the team were the ones that wasn’t overly committed TO HIM. As adding his brother to the organization, as they have with OTHER family members or players local to the area, would have taken MINIMAL effort while possible having a HUGE impact on Jones staying with the team.

Why?

The Chicago Blackhawks acquired his brother right after getting Seth.
The bolded is why people don't like the way you post your opinions. Nobody likes to be talked down to. Especially grown ass adults.

Outside of that. Thank you for explaining the thoughts in your head since no of us can infer what your thoughts are. I'm disappointed Jones wanted out as many of us considered him the next captain of this team. I never once considered him a similar level of douchery as Jeff Carter. He was and still is the ultimate Rat with the way he treated this team and this city.

That being said, his play in Chicago speaks for itself. I'm glad we didn't commit to him. With his brother there or not it certainly didn't improve his play in Chicago. Signing a sibling seems like a pretty petty way of deciding you need to play somewhere else and want out.

I'll hang up now and wait for William Nylander to force a trade to Columbus so he can play with his brother next year after the Leafs get swept again.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Texier is a better player than him

30 goals… how many empty netters are you giving him lmao
OK, let's not get carried away. Nylander is not scoring 30 goals. There are many nights he might sit in the press box.
I agree, that leaves 3 other open wings in the bottom 6.

Worse players have scored 30 because they just happened to gain chemistry with an all-star. I'm not saying he's going to score at the current pace he played this past season moving forward, but he's shown he's capable of producing in the right system. A capable head coach will be able to put him into situations to produce.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Laine, Gaudreau, Marchenko, Chinakhov, Texier, Johnson and that’s before adding in other guys via UFA.
A capable head coach will be able to put him into situations to produce.
I like to think Mike Sullivan is/was a capable head coach? He couldn’t do it.

Why do we need him to be in a position to produce if we have plenty of other talent who are much more likely to be core pieces long term? Should they not get priority? For instance Kent Johnson. KJ had 9 less points in his u20 season than Nylander has had points all time.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ok, I have to spell it out. People around here seemingly hate Jones and treat him like he’s Jeff Carter, as if he turned his back on them and the team

The idea is that he asked out because the team was going through some type of “rebuild”.

My idea or theory is that the team were the ones that wasn’t overly committed TO HIM. As adding his brother to the organization, as they have with OTHER family members or players local to the area, would have taken MINIMAL effort while possible having a HUGE impact on Jones staying with the team.

Why?

The Chicago Blackhawks acquired his brother right after getting Seth.
This is a masterwork of crackpot theory. Not a single example you’re trying to shoehorn into your existing opinion of Seth Jones - who, when he could have opted to sign an extension here and lead the team through a difficult period, displaying his heart and leadership, but instead told the team he wanted to explore other options - actually supports the implication you’re trying to make.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Worse players have scored 30 because they just happened to gain chemistry with an all-star. I'm not saying he's going to score at the current pace he played this past season moving forward, but he's shown he's capable of producing in the right system. A capable head coach will be able to put him into situations to produce.
Ahem...Zach Hyman. Ahem.

Excuse me. Got a bit of a cough there.

Reactions: NotWendell

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Laine, Gaudreau, Marchenko, Chinakhov, Texier, Johnson and that’s before adding in other guys via UFA.

I like to think Mike Sullivan is/was a capable head coach? He couldn’t do it.

Why do we need him to be in a position to produce if we have plenty of other talent who are much more likely to be core pieces long term? Should they not get priority? For instance Kent Johnson. KJ had 9 less points in his u20 season than Nylander has had points all time.
How many games did Nylander actually get under Sullivan?

14 over 2 season. He took 3 times as many shots in Columbus (62) than he did across those 2 season he was in the Pens organization. (21)

Pretty strong arguement he wasn't really in much of a position to succeed. In any event, he has shown he is capable of doing it in the right situation.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Ahem...Zach Hyman. Ahem.

Excuse me. Got a bit of a cough there.
You’re not suggesting Nylander is comparable to Hyman…
Pretty strong arguement he wasn't really in much of a position to succeed. In any event, he has shown he is capable of doing it in the right situation.
The right situation = playing with Gaudreau on a team with half AHL players against backup goalies and getting outscored 7 to 5 in 90mins TOI. :sarcasm: All the lines he played on are at the top in terms of GA/60.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The move is obvious. Veteran, leader, great glue guy, lots of playoff experience, voice people will listen to, guy who can teach the young centers - we throw a bunch of money at Stamkos.

Stamkos at this point is a passenger, and a defensive liability. He's still a great PP scorer, though I'm not sure how much of that carries over without Kucherov.

I'd have other targets in mind.

Disagree 10000% that Nylander is an asset now.

I thought we want to gain good players not replacement level players!? What skill is Nylander great at?

I've been arguing for a while that we've overestimated the value of amateur scouting and underestimated the value of pro scouting. To build a better team you need to identify the best buy low opportunities among mature aged players. Take a look at Florida and what they've made out of Forsling and Verhaege. Those two were replacement level players when they acquired them.

Reactions: Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
You’re not suggesting Nylander is comparable to Hyman…

The right situation = playing with Gaudreau on a team with half AHL players against backup goalies and getting outscored 7 to 5 in 90mins TOI. :sarcasm: All the lines he played on are at the top in terms of GA/60.
No but Zach Hyman ain't scoring 50 goals if he's not playing with McDavid.

How often did he player with Johnny really? Everyone else on the team was playing backup goalies too. How were their stats?

The guy ended up being a finisher with a nose for the net and ended the season with 1 less goal than Johnny but you keep looking for every excuse not to offer him a 1 year deal for a pretty minimal salary. I guess he should just be cast off into the sunset for someone else who has never proved they could do anything in the NHL for that type of money.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No but Zach Hyman ain't scoring 50 goals if he's not playing with McDavid.

How often did he player with Johnny really? Everyone else on the team was playing backup goalies too. How were their stats?

The guy ended up being a finisher with a nose for the net and ended the season with 1 less goal than Johnny but you keep looking for every excuse not to offer him a 1 year deal for a pretty minimal salary. I guess he should just be cast off into the sunset for someone else who has never proved they could do anything in the NHL for that type of money.

Nylander isn't going to be Hyman or even half of it, but Hyman is a great example of a guy that a lot of fans insisted was a replacement level player. There were about 50 pages on the Leafs board solely devoted to rants about Hyman playing too high in the lineup for his talent.

Reactions: CBJx614

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Stamkos at this point is a passenger, and a defensive liability. He's still a great PP scorer, though I'm not sure how much of that carries over without Kucherov.

I'd have other targets in mind.

People want a leader without can really help in the locker room. I think the captain of a team who won 2 Cups has more to offer in that department than anyone in free agency or Boone Jenner. But that is just me. Is he a great player anymore? No, but that is why we could land him. I expect him to end up in Detroit with Yzerman if he doesn’t stay in Tampa, so it is a pipe dream anyway.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Disagree 10000% that Nylander is an asset now.

I thought we want to gain good players not replacement level players!? What skill is Nylander great at?
Sorry to jump in but you can make that argument about 80% of NHL players. Most of whom make more than $1MM. Nylander showed solid play in all the zones and a scoring touch. He's dealt with injuries until this chance. It's a small sample size, I get it and agree. However, there is zero risk...
None! Qualify him and see where it goes. I don't see how this is even a discussion in here.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Nylander deserves at least another year to see if what he put together at the end of this season was real or not. He had some great chemistry with some players and deserves a look in camp next year at the very least.

For many how many players come here and underproduce for their contract, we finally found someone who overproduced and we want to ship him out?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
No, thats a false dilemma. I want proven NHL players age 24-28 instead. I want less roster clutter with tweeners (like Nylander) so there is a path for young guys to move up if it is earned. And should there be injuries, I’d like players who plan to be here long term to get the minutes.
229 minutes out of 365. The next closest forward he had TOI with was Jenner at 131 minutes.
I've been arguing for a while that we've overestimated the value of amateur scouting and underestimated the value of pro scouting. To build a better team you need to identify the best buy low opportunities among mature aged players. Take a look at Florida and what they've made out of Forsling and Verhaege. Those two were replacement level players when they acquired them.
Obviously buy low opportunities are a good thing. Just not seeing it with him. Most the guys you’d want to look for are under age 26 no?

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I do wonder if the Jackets come knocking for Elias Lindholm given the connection with Gaudreau. I dont know if I like the idea myself, but I could see it.

Top 4 center group of Lindholm/Fantilli/Sillinger or Voronkov/Kuraly

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I do wonder if the Jackets come knocking for Elias Lindholm given the connection with Gaudreau. I dont know if I like the idea myself, but I could see it.

If he reignites his stock with a good playoff, I doubt it. But he had a rough season, especially after the trade to Vancouver, and he may be amenable to a show-me deal in that case. I am just wary of a long term expensive deal for a player who's never really won anything and was the passenger on a line with two superstars in Calgary.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

His play probably dropped his value to a reasonable number atleast. The question would be does he want $ or does he want term. If a team does both Id assume the regret will be strong

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
His play probably dropped his value to a reasonable number atleast. The question would be does he want $ or does he want term. If a team does both Id assume the regret will be strong
On another team. But not here, he might want too much and a long contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad