Armchair GM: Offseason Roster Moves and Rumors

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Can’t believe I’m saying this but if Wennberg would do a similar deal to what he’s currently on, he wouldn’t be a bad fit as a middle 6 C. Probably the perfect C for Laine.
For Laine, a center like Jenner (he has excellent chemistry with him), Sillinger are ideal. Even Dunne. I remember Torts combining players in one of the last games of the 2020/21 season. Laine played a few rotations with Dunne. And they got along great. He, on the other hand, has perfect chemistry with Chinakhov.
We'll see. No point in making a roster if we don't know who the GM will be, what his policies will be.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No moves:

Gaudreau (9.75) Jenner (3.75) Fantilli (1)
Johnson (2) Voronkov (1) Laine (8.7)
Chinakhov (2.5) Sillinger (3) Marchenko (4)
Texier (2) Kuraly (3.5) Danforth (1.1)
Nylander (1.1), Olivier (1.1)
Total F: 44.5

Werenski (9.59) Severson (6.25)
Provorov (4.73) Jiricek (1)
Bean (2.3) Gudbranson (4)
Blankenburg (1.1)
Total D: 28.87

Tarasov (1)
Merzlikins (5.4)
Total G: 6.4

Total: 79.77

Do these estimates for contracts look right? 4-8 mill in cap space depending on what the increase is?

Thus an Elvis buyout increases our cap space to somewhere between 6.9-10.9 million (if Greaves is the #2)?

Looking at this, I’m not sure if it makes sense to bring Nylander back. It might make more sense to have the healthy scratch spot be someone on an ELC like McKown (if they want to add in other guys with the cap space). Makes me also wonder if Jake Bean is the right choice given his contract (assuming it is similar to his current deal), does Mateychuk/Christansen make more sense (depending on if they want LH + RD, or don’t mind RD + RD with Blankenburg on the third pair)?

- there will be moves, if Laine wants to play there is a significant chance he's traded, should be more moves than that.

- there will be injuries. Those 13/14Fs will likely play 60+ games, Nylander will get to play either way. This is reasonable depth.

- we don't know how they'll sort themselves in camp, it's possible Nylander is in the top 9 and someone else is 14F, or (more likely) by mid-season they'll re-sort themselves.

- everything up to $1.1m is buried, not included in the cap. If I remember correctly it doesn't matter whether the contract is 1 way or 2 way, that is relevant to what the player is paid but not the cap.

- we're going to have a hard time getting tight to the cap regardless. It's going up a lot.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but if Wennberg would do a similar deal to what he’s currently on, he wouldn’t be a bad fit as a middle 6 C. Probably the perfect C for Laine.

That would make sense if we're rolling over Sillinger for a 1st rounder. But if he's here then I don't see how we have room for a veteran center. Wennberg would actually be good at defense, we'd see the difference between him and Boone or him and one of these "good defense for a young player" guys.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I want to see Nick Foligno as an assistant coach behind our bench in the next 3 years.

Why’d we strip the ‘C’ and totally move on from him, only to bring in Sean Kuraly for essentially the same amount of money and role?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
- everything up to $1.1m is buried, not included in the cap. If I remember correctly it doesn't matter whether the contract is 1 way or 2 way, that is relevant to what the player is paid but not the cap.
“As far as the salary cap is concerned, one-way contracts are pretty straightforward. Under Section 50.5 of the CBA, in the offseason or during the season when the player is in the NHL, whatever the salary is will generally count against the salary cap. If the player is sent down to the AHL and his salary is the league minimum plus $375,000 or more, the salary over that amount counts against the cap.“
“Salary cap calculations for two-way contracts become a little more complicated. The regular season cap hit will be whatever the salary is while the player is playing in the NHL. If the player is sent down to the AHL, the cap hit is generally zero. I say generally because there could be scenarios where there is a cap hit if the player has minimum guaranteed compensation or minor league compensation plus what is known under the CBA as “non-Exhibit 5 performance bonuses” or Exhibit 5 bonuses that are earned that exceed the NHL minimum salary plus $375,000. Exhibit 5 bonuses are bonuses related to entry level deals. It is not common. This is why most just say that two-contracts don’t count against the cap if the player is in the AHL. In the offseason, the effect on salary cap for two-way contracts depends on NHL games played in the previous year. If a player on a two-way contract played 50 or more NHL games the previous season, his full salary will count against the cap. If the player played 1 to 49 games, it is a reduced number based on a formula. And if the player did not play an NHL game the year before, there is no offseason cap hit.”

I’m not sure you see two-way contracts over 1.00 AAV. I don’t see a single one in the NHL this year.
That would make sense if we're rolling over Sillinger for a 1st rounder. But if he's here then I don't see how we have room for a veteran center. Wennberg would actually be good at defense, we'd see the difference between him and Boone or him and one of these "good defense for a young player" guys.
Move someone to wing, idc. Cole can be 4C with Tex and Danforth.

Luca is a good dude, hope he does sign.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
“As far as the salary cap is concerned, one-way contracts are pretty straightforward. Under Section 50.5 of the CBA, in the offseason or during the season when the player is in the NHL, whatever the salary is will generally count against the salary cap. If the player is sent down to the AHL and his salary is the league minimum plus $375,000 or more, the salary over that amount counts against the cap.“
“Salary cap calculations for two-way contracts become a little more complicated. The regular season cap hit will be whatever the salary is while the player is playing in the NHL. If the player is sent down to the AHL, the cap hit is generally zero. I say generally because there could be scenarios where there is a cap hit if the player has minimum guaranteed compensation or minor league compensation plus what is known under the CBA as “non-Exhibit 5 performance bonuses” or Exhibit 5 bonuses that are earned that exceed the NHL minimum salary plus $375,000. Exhibit 5 bonuses are bonuses related to entry level deals. It is not common. This is why most just say that two-contracts don’t count against the cap if the player is in the AHL. In the offseason, the effect on salary cap for two-way contracts depends on NHL games played in the previous year. If a player on a two-way contract played 50 or more NHL games the previous season, his full salary will count against the cap. If the player played 1 to 49 games, it is a reduced number based on a formula. And if the player did not play an NHL game the year before, there is no offseason cap hit.”

Not sure if you thought otherwise, but I read this as confirming what I was saying about Nylander's next contract being 100% buriable if he's sent down.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Not sure if you thought otherwise, but I read this as confirming what I was saying about Nylander's next contract being 100% buriable if he's sent down.
If you believe he will sign for less than 1.1 million yes. But 2 way vs 1 way matters.

We signed Danforth to a two year 1 way contract after he had 14 points in 45 GP. Signed Olivier to the same deal. Texier got a 3 year deal for 1.525 after not doing much at all. Nylander just had 11 goals and 15 points in 23 GP. Nylander is already on a 1 way deal, making around 800k. So he’s going to want a good raise.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you believe he will sign for less than 1.1 million yes. But 2 way vs 1 way matters. Like Bemstrom’s previous contract as an example?

We signed Danforth to a two year 1 way contract after he had 14 points in 45 GP. Signed Olivier to the same deal. Texier got a 3 year deal for 1.525 after not doing much at all. Nylander just had 11 goals and 15 points in 23 GP. Nylander is already on a 1 way deal, making around 800k. So he’s going to want a good raise.

We don't have a problem paying any of those players.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
We don't have a problem paying any of those players.
I’m not picking up what your point is?

- We have too many players as is (you suggested as much in the Wennberg post)
- RW is already a position of strength
- We are going to ask Ownership to buy out millions this summer (if not also retain on Provorov)
- Nylander will not get the same opportunity w.r.t. TOI/Teammates

So, why use a contract on someone who could cost real dollars against the cap (depending on the deal) regardless of NHL/AHL level? “Why do you care when the $ is so small” remember Oliver Bjorkstrand. Cap casualty. Every dollar matters.

We need to make moves in UFA too. If we sign Nylander to a 1 way deal and bring in another guy or two, somebody has to be getting sent down (at least).

Maybe he takes a 900k deal but I just don’t know why he would when guys like Morgan Barron, Ryan Poehling, Kevin Rooney are getting multi-year deals.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m not sure what your point is?

You're making the kind of argument I've been making for years about Bean and Boqvist and why do we give such contracts to players, only in this case you're doing it over players making 100% buriable cap hits. Like we could send all of Texier, Danforth, Olivier, and Nylander to the AHL and the combined cap hit for the four of them added together would be like $500k. Not a thing.

- We have too many players as is (you suggested as much in the Wennberg post)

Totally different issue. You can bring in Wennberg if you're willing to trade Sillinger or, as you mentioned, put him at 4C. But you can't put him at #14F. You still need regardless, in either case, in every case, to have a lot of guys ready to step in for injuries. They will very likely play a lot of games. It's an appropriate role for Nylander but not for Sillinger.

- Nylander will not get the same opportunity w.r.t. TOI/Teammates

At one wing or the other (they all play both) Nylander will have his chance next year. Might even be game one. There will be injuries and players overperforming and underperforming.

So, why use a contract on someone who could cost real dollars against the cap (depending on the deal) regardless of NHL/AHL level? “Why do you care when the $ is so small” remember Oliver Bjorkstrand. Cap casualty. Every dollar matters.

Certainly it does matter when you're paying a combined $5m to Bean and Boqvist. But if Nylander is at $1.1m then his cap hit can be buried if needed. Not a concern.

And as I've said before we made a foolish choice to trade Bjorkstrand. We had enough cap wiggle room to bury contracts until injuries struck, the same way the Leafs and Knights do. And sure enough as it happened we had big money going on LTIR at the beginning of the season. That was an unforced error by Jarmo.

We need to make moves in UFA too. If we sign Nylander to a 1 way deal and bring in another guy or two, somebody has to be getting sent down (at least).

Maybe he takes a 900k deal but I just don’t know why he would.

It's not $900k, the maximum buriable amount is actually $1.15m.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Totally different issue. You can bring in Wennberg if you're willing to trade Sillinger or, as you mentioned, put him at 4C. But you can't put him at #14F. You still need regardless, in either case, in every case, to have a lot of guys ready to step in for injuries. They will very likely play a lot of games. It's an appropriate role for Nylander but not for Sillinger.
14F can be Olivier, and literally any CLE monster playing well. IMO, that’s half the part of 2 way deals / ELCs. Sillinger can’t be sent down now, correct?

The 900k was an example to show a number less than the amount for Morgan Barron, Ryan Poehling, Kevin Rooney type deals.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If the goal this offseason is to get veterans who can play but also be hard to play against, the glaring example IMO is Tyler Bertuzzi. I think I advocated for him last year too.

He took a 1 year prove it deal in Toronto and had 40 points. Barring an incredible playoff, I think its something we could afford without breaking the bank or giving up massive term to. 3 years 4.5-5 mill per? Its a slight step back in salary but more stability. Idk if that would get it done but its a player I've had my eye on.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If the goal this offseason is to get veterans who can play but also be hard to play against, the glaring example IMO is Tyler Bertuzzi. I think I advocated for him last year too.

He took a 1 year prove it deal in Toronto and had 40 points. Barring an incredible playoff, I think its something we could afford without breaking the bank or giving up massive term to. 3 years 4.5-5 mill per? Its a slight step back in salary but more stability. Idk if that would get it done but its a player I've had my eye on.
I guess it would come down to this - Will he want a 3 year deal at his age? Will he take a cut or the same salary? Are there better options available to him?

Personally i think the chances of him signing with the CBJ are slim to none, (For the record I thought that about Gaudreau (and wish I had been right))

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023

100 % agree with you

we need a player that will drag us in the mud.
i thought voronkov was going to be that guy but he plays pretty passive but effective

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Agreed. I've been digging around a bit for some "glue" players and he seems like a good fit. I think we're going to have to trade for at least one (trading away helps open up the spot) but adding a UFA might end up being a thing too depending on the new GMs assessments.

Reactions: Viqsi and Cowumbus

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
You’d rather the team be even worse than it currently is?
Quite honestly it would be tough for this team to be much worse than it is while spending the money we spent on salaries.
If you look over the last (pick) 2-3-4 years and the results we have as a franchise it's embarrassing.
Now if the team was stripped down and wasn't spending money, then there would be hope. But right now we were trying to be competitive and we continually struggled.

Now go ahead and keep talking about all the young players and how the future is so bright. We've all heard that story since season 1.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You’d rather the team be even worse than it currently is?
Well, the good news is they couldn't be much worse and if they were the chances of Celebrini would be greater.

Seriously I think the signing was ahead of its time and his best years will most likely be wasted. I would rather have OB (who wouldn't have had to be traded) and another glue guy (maybe Bertuzzi) signed last year. I think those two (or OB +a different glue guy) would have made the team no worse this season and possibly made them better. I fail to see how Gaudreau did that.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Long shot IMO. But a great teammate, which is valuable. Probably not a bad thing to be in good standing with the Fantilli household too.
That's what I'm wondering. Would he be signed because he could be legit or is he being signed to keep Adam happy because we suck so much?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad