SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Any interest?

:hawks

W Mason Raymond 3.15m 1 year left

:flames

W Bryan Bickell 4.0m 1 year left
+ something small

If something small is their 1st round pick, then sure. Otherwise, the cost of adding even more cap to the Flames in a year that they're going to experience some challenges isn't worth it.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Any interest?

:hawks

W Mason Raymond 3.15m 1 year left

:flames

W Bryan Bickell 4.0m 1 year left
+ something small

Might make sense depending on what the "something small" is.

If it's something worthwhile I'd consider it and then just buyout Bickell. Since there isn't a huge difference in cap hits.

Raymond- 1,050,000m cap hit for 2 years.
Bickell- 1,000,000m cap hit in year 1, followed by a 1,500,00m cap hit in year 2.

Year 2 is also when many of our poor contracts come off the books, so would an extra 450,000 hurt us that much? Could a decent opportunity to pick up an asset if Chicago would do it.

I really don't think we'd make this deal with the intent to actually play Bickell. We have a logjam of bottom 6 forwards already, and some young guys could be ready to challenge for the remaining spots while being a hell of a lot cheaper.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
What would people think about Radim Vrbata this offseason? Too soft?

I've thought about him a bit too actually. He is just one year removed from a 63 point year, but was quite bad this year by all accounts. Could be a decent cheap signing that might work out. I've always liked him when he was in Phoenix. Though he is quite soft as you mentioned.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hmm. I guess I don't really expect him to have to settle for the minimum. I imagine there's a club out there that would give him $2-3M. We'll see, though.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Proposal:

To :leafs

Dennis Wideman ($5,250,000 - 1 more year)

To :flames

Milan Michalek ($4,000,000 - 1 more year)

Why Leafs do it:

Leafs have lots of veteran forwards, and a very young D. They also don't have a single veteran right handed D man (except Robidas who is 39 and missed the whole season)

Why Flames do it:

Open up a spot on D to bring back Nakladal, and let him, Jokipakka, Wotherspoon, Engelland battle for the #4 spot down. It also brings the Flames a big, fast winger with a history of being a solid top six. If he struggles with injuries again, that's no biggie as the Flames have young guys ready to step in if they can't beat him out of a spot out of camp. It also frees up $1,250,000 of cap space.

Why Wideman waives his NMC:

A fresh start on a young team where he will have a better chance at more ice time and powerplay time in a contract year. Probably wouldn't hurt that he's an Ontario boy either.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Proposal:

To :leafs

Dennis Wideman ($5,250,000 - 1 more year)

To :flames

Milan Michalek ($4,000,000 - 1 more year)

Why Leafs do it:

Leafs have lots of veteran forwards, and a very young D. They also don't have a single veteran right handed D man (except Robidas who is 39 and missed the whole season)

Why Flames do it:

Open up a spot on D to bring back Nakladal, and let him, Jokipakka, Wotherspoon, Engelland battle for the #4 spot down. It also brings the Flames a big, fast winger with a history of being a solid top six. If he struggles with injuries again, that's no biggie as the Flames have young guys ready to step in if they can't beat him out of a spot out of camp. It also frees up $1,250,000 of cap space.

Why Wideman waives his NMC:

A fresh start on a young team where he will have a better chance at more ice time and powerplay time in a contract year. Probably wouldn't hurt that he's an Ontario boy either.

Michalek is not a big, fast winger. He's 6'0ft and can barely skate.

As much as I would like to move Wideman, I would rather keep him if it meant Michalek coming back our way.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Michalek is not a big, fast winger. He's 6'0ft and can barely skate.

As much as I would like to move Wideman, I would rather keep him if it meant Michalek coming back our way.

He's 6'2 225 lbs, and he skates really well actually.

May 27, 2012
Earth
He's 6'2 225 lbs, and he skates really well actually.

Whoops,you are right about his height. I read 6'02 as 6ft for whatever reason.

The guy has had a lot of injuries and have slowed down considerably. There is a reason he has declined over the years and became a cap dump.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah I agree, we should be looking at adding pieces that make sense long term, not Frankenstien experiences like Bickell. I'm all for adding Shaw, love his game!

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I wouldn't give him 3 but 2ish would be ok. Though he seems like a guy Montreal will sign.

If we're expecting next year to be another rebuild year, then I'd give him a one year deal, as well. He seems to yo-yo between good/bad seasons, so he might perform well enough to get a mid-round pick at the deadline.

But if Treliving makes moves that strengthen the team more and we're looking at a playoff push, I'd rather have someone else in that (presumably) 2 RW slot.

The Bickell buyout idea is intriguing, though. I still don't think I'd want the Flames to do the trade unless the "something small" they got back was decent (e.g. 2nd round pick).

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Would be hilarious if the Flames signed and then traded Vrbata for something decent given what happened with the Canucks at the deadline.

On the other hand, that could be the final straw that gets Benning fired. Not worth the risk.

Shaw would be prefect. One of the Flames seconds plus Jooris/Carroll/Elson could be enough.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
If we're expecting next year to be another rebuild year, then I'd give him a one year deal, as well. He seems to yo-yo between good/bad seasons, so he might perform well enough to get a mid-round pick at the deadline.

But if Treliving makes moves that strengthen the team more and we're looking at a playoff push, I'd rather have someone else in that (presumably) 2 RW slot.

The Bickell buyout idea is intriguing, though. I still don't think I'd want the Flames to do the trade unless the "something small" they got back was decent (e.g. 2nd round pick).

Same. I'd prefer to add a guy like Brouwer/Perron if we go FA route. Vrbata is kind of a plan c or d type scenario, if BT can't get anything else done.

Another name I'd be interested in FA is McGinn, if he makes it there.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Whoops,you are right about his height. I read 6'02 as 6ft for whatever reason.

The guy has had a lot of injuries and have slowed down considerably. There is a reason he has declined over the years and became a cap dump.

Yeah, he's injury prone but I'd give it a go, and like I said in my first post...if he gets hurt that just affords a younger player more ice-time or a call up from Stockton. If he plays well then he will either help the Flames meet their goal and make the playoffs, or become a piece that can be flipped at next years dead line for a return. Really not much to lose, but hey...if Treliving can get a better return for Wideman than another cap dump (which Wideman pretty much is at this point too) then I'm all for it.

Yeah I agree, we should be looking at adding pieces that make sense long term, not Frankenstien experiences like Bickell. I'm all for adding Shaw, love his game!

Well, I'm in total agreement about adding young pieces that make sense long term, but you aren't getting that for Wideman or Raymond, which is why people suggest change of scenery camp dump swaps like Bickell + a pick for Raymond or myself with Wideman for Michalek.

Again, if Treliving can do better great, but otherwise those types of moves are all I could possibly see happening, and adding big wingers like Bickell and Michalek (for the likes of Wideman and Raymond) isn't the worst idea out there in my opinion.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
^^^ I'd rather pay more and get a piece like Shaw. I feel like we've experimented enough with the likes of Seto and Raymond. If we want to add some solid depth to our bottom 6, let's pay a modest price and acquire Shaw. Getting Shaw this offseason and Frolik last, will go a long, long way. Grant, Hatheway and Ferland are all solid options as well that we already have.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
^^^ I'd rather pay more and get a piece like Shaw. I feel like we've experimented enough with the likes of Seto and Raymond. If we want to add some solid depth to our bottom 6, let's pay a modest price and acquire Shaw. Getting Shaw this offseason and Frolik last, will go a long, long way. Grant, Hatheway and Ferland are all solid options as well that we already have.

He's a RH shot too! Although he plays C in Chicago, we'd be able to slot him in a top 6 RW spot. I'd love to land him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad