GDT: Arizona @ Toronto. 7:00 on TSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
26 games left

If we go 17-9 in that stretch it would put us at 100 points, and roughly what we would need to make the playoffs. Every single game is massive. I don't know if this team can play at that pace for the rest of the year, but please just win the games you're supposed to win.

Hutchinson along with not being able to play a complete 60 has put us in a shitty situation. So many games where we absolutely dominated but lost cause of the horrendous goal tending.

We're currently getting 58.9% of possible points
We would need to finish the remaining games at a 65.3% point pace to hit that mark

Reactions: Magic Man

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
We would need to finish the remaining games at a 65.3% point pace to hit that mark
Since Keefe has been hired, we're at 66.7% of possible points. With time lost by Nylander, Rielly, Andersen and a lot more.

We'll be fine.... especially considering Hutchinson won't at another game for us.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Since Keefe has been hired, we're at 66.7% of possible points. With time lost by Nylander, Rielly, Andersen and a lot more.

We'll be fine.... especially considering Hutchinson won't at another game for us.

That's reassuring as hell (genuinely) It will still be a challenge though. It just cant be "we were the better team on the ice, unfortunate outcome" They need to find ways to close games. Play grittier, drive the net harder, get some ugly goals and just play a complete game.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Sounds like the flu is making its rounds. Might explain some of the lax play lately...giving the virus away--give the puck away. They looked drained Friday

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
26 games left

If we go 17-9 in that stretch it would put us at 100 points, and roughly what we would need to make the playoffs. Every single game is massive. I don't know if this team can play at that pace for the rest of the year, but please just win the games you're supposed to win.

Hutchinson along with not being able to play a complete 60 has put us in a ****ty situation. So many games where we absolutely dominated but lost cause of the horrendous goal tending.

Doesn’t the same apply to the teams we’re currently neck and neck with to make the playoffs? Don’t they have to go on a similar tear in order to make the playoffs? Are any of the rosters we’re comparing against better than the leafs?

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Maby it’s a good thing the leafs face some adversity down the stretch drive.

The last 2 years, they’ve been basically guaranteed the 3rd divisional spot, and their play showed like they were just taking time off.

Hopefully the boys get hot and Carrie that momentum into the playoffs (if we get in)

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Doesn’t the same apply to the teams we’re currently neck and neck with to make the playoffs? Don’t they have to go on a similar tear in order to make the playoffs? Are any of the rosters we’re comparing against better than the leafs?

Yep. It is not nearly as black and white as the ppster makes it seem to be.

If Florida lays an egg (lets say they go 10 - 13 - 4) for the remainder of the season and the other teams keep up their paces, we would make it into the playoffs with 89 points. This would likely make us the lowest point total to make the playoffs, but give us 3rd in the Atlantic.

If Florida does well, then we just need to do slightly better than 2 or 3 of CBJ/PHI/FLA/CAR.

It could take a record amount to make the playoffs (100) or one of the lowest of the last decade (88). Most likely it ends up somewhere around 96 to get in, but you can't say for certain how much it will take. Just that qe are in the last 1/3rd and are in a spot where every point counts and we still control our destiny.

Edit: Looking at the standings and recent play, it almost look like we might be destined for a Boston rematch. TBL is on a winning streak and close to catching Boston and beating Florida is the easiest route to the playoffs for the Leafs. Obviously a lot can change, but what was unrealistic a while ago now seems like a decent possibility.

Reactions: 666 and OddyOh

FireBabcock

Apr 21, 2019
With our Injuries we need AM34 to rise to the occasion against his childhood club. Take down the yotes until our troops return

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Sounds like the flu is making its rounds. Might explain some of the lax play lately...giving the virus away--give the puck away. They looked drained Friday
This years virus seems insane. I rarely get sick in any form. I'm 36 and I got it in early JAN and had to take two days off work. I have never had to do that.. crazy effects on family and friends as well. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. That being said everyone is different... it sucks for the boys but hopefully Nylander is ready tomorrow if Tavares isn't. I'm fine to give Campbell another start if Freddy isn't 100 P

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
26 games left

Hutchinson along with not being able to play a complete 60 has put us in a ****ty situation. So many games where we absolutely dominated but lost cause of the horrendous goal tending.

More realistically, 16-8-2 to reach 100 points, 14-10-2 to reach 96 points. 100 points would make us basically a lock for the playoffs, but 96 would fairly likely be enough too.

We could easily miss the playoffs, but have a good shot to make it too. I’d say we’re more likely to make it than miss - we were at a 78 point pace under Babs, have been at a 109 point pace under Keefe, if we maintain that Keefe pace we finish with 101 points. But yeah, need to win most of the easier games, including this one.

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Maby it’s a good thing the leafs face some adversity down the stretch drive.

The last 2 years, they’ve been basically guaranteed the 3rd divisional spot, and their play showed like they were just taking time off.

Hopefully the boys get hot and Carrie that momentum into the playoffs (if we get in)

Good point. At least, a bright outlook on the current situation in Leaf Land :)

If the Leafs have to fight to the last regular season game to get in it may be a good thing. Especially if they face a team that coasted down the stretch. Teams playing playoff hockey right up until the playoffs seem to do well in those situations (Just ask Tampa Bay after last year).

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Toronto is 20-9-4 in their last 33 games, why wouldn't they be able to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad