OT: Arizona State University - NCAA D1 Hockey

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Harvard is a lot better than asu, great game though. That 7th goal was nasty, I was right behind the asu net for it as well. Looking forward to seeing Michigan, I'll have to look up some of their top players beforehand.
U of M is way short on future NHL stars this year. Cooper Marody (PHI 2015) had some problems in class and won't play this semester + they lost Kyle Connor (WPG) and Zach Werenski (CBJ) to the NHL.

Our guy Brendan Warren has gotten moved to center, still no points yet this season.

Jake Slaker is the #1 center, keep an eye on him. Overage kid who stayed in the USHL 4 years (which is a really smart move) and is now a 20 year old freshman. Winger named William Lockwood got drafted by Vancouver this year, he's a stud, might have a pro future.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
U of M is way short on future NHL stars this year. Cooper Marody (PHI 2015) had some problems in class and won't play this semester + they lost Kyle Connor (WPG) and Zach Werenski (CBJ) to the NHL.

Our guy Brendan Warren has gotten moved to center, still no points yet this season.

Jake Slaker is the #1 center, keep an eye on him. Overage kid who stayed in the USHL 4 years (which is a really smart move) and is now a 20 year old freshman. Winger named William Lockwood got drafted by Vancouver this year, he's a stud, might have a pro future.
Thanks I'll watch those two. Is Michigan more talented than Harvard this year? I forgot about Warren completely.

Oh yeah, lots of teams are going to be better for a while. Hopefully a few years though we can compete a bit more.

Yup, from quick googling Harvard has like 6 draft picks on their roster, with vesey in the NHL now, so I figured it might be rough. Hopefully it doesn't take long for asu to get some solid recruiting done.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The Michigan vs ASU game is on at the same time as the Coyotes game tonight if you wanna set DVRs :P

Though the game might not be pretty :laugh:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The Michigan vs ASU game is on at the same time as the Coyotes game tonight if you wanna set DVRs :P

Though the game might not be pretty :laugh:

At the very least if it's like last game asu will play hard until the end. Even when the game was clearly out of reach they kept trying and throwing hits. Ck was saying Michigan isn't as good this year as they usually are, so hopefully we at least keep it close.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The Michigan game was much closer than the Harvard game. Warren was kind of meh, had a nice pass on one of the goals, and played well on the PK, but took two penalties and wasn't very noticable overall. Lockwood is legit. Two slick goals, strong on his skates, pretty good skater, solid two ways too.

Also there were probably twice as many people attending as the other games. Not just Michigan fans either, there was a large group of asu fans as well. Apparently they're the group behind the curtain of distraction at asu basketball games.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
While I agree Lockwood was very good. He really only had one legit goal. The first one never even crossed the goal line completely.

It was a rocket of a wrister, an amazing shot. I didn't see the replay, so I'll take your word for it not going in completely.

When they do more asu games at gila river next year I'm going to buy some day 1, all 4 games were a blast.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The game last night was a lot of fun. ASU is a lot better than the score indicates. I'm a partisan Michigan fan that can acknowledge a bad call when I see one. Lockwood's first wasn't even close. If that was reviewed it wouldn't have counted.

My only complaint about last night was a sad display of parenting. One guy was letting his two kids run around all night and it was really annoying. Keep your brood in check or go home.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
...whose simple commitment to ASU hockey has made headlines. Which other ASU commit can say the same?

Do you think potential recruits don't do any research into the players at ASU or incoming commitments? A big name from the NTDP would matter a lot more.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just because it's not great doesn't mean it can't be good.

He'll in all likelihood be a greyshirt/non-scholarship player. So in that sense, it can't hurt. More of a favor it seems like than anything else. He's the only commit coming from T3.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
A big name from the NTDP would matter a lot more.
I'm sure Greg Powers is working on that too :laugh:

Arguably the greatest living hockey player will come to AZ and attend some ASU games during the next few years.

Even if this amounts to nothing more than short-term hype and a couple TSN articles, it's interesting. Lemieux looms large in the Rust Belt and huge in Quebec; probably only Guy Lafleur is more beloved in Quebec. Might be something. Certainly can't hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad