Arizona minority owner Barroway suspended indefinitely pending investigation after arrest

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Meruelo is the majority owner...Barroway was listed as minority owner and alternate governor...

From Internet Archive (from March 21, 2023): web.archive.org/web/20230321112456/https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/team/ownership

1679761154381.png

Today's web page (Barroway's profile removed): www.nhl.com/coyotes/team/ownership

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Barroway is a minority owner with little to no involvement with the team.

Barroway has no involvement with ASU that I've been able to discern.

The idea that ASU would take any action with regards Barroway's arrest is ridiculous, IMO.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Barroway is a minority owner with little to no involvement with the team.

Barroway has no involvement with ASU that I've been able to discern.

The idea that ASU would take any action with regards Barroway's arrest is ridiculous, IMO.

The fact he was listed as an alternate governor is one reason why the NHL had to suspend him.

You're correct though. He's really had no role in the franchise since Meruelo took control. I think he was at a couple of press conferences early on but has pretty much remained invisible since.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
This doesn't help, but it's a nothing-burger that won't affect the vote.

Alternate Governor is actually a role with the team, though. Not a big role, but a role none the less.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
He only owns 5% as theLegend points out and has zero involvement in the franchise what so ever other than owning shares.

Pretty sure the folks opposing the project will point out that Barroway owned much more than 5% in the past (he originally purchased 51% of the franchise).

Wouldn’t surprise me that they would strech it out to say that Barroway is a crooke and given he sold his shared to Murelo, that by association Murelo is not good either (not saying that is the case).

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Pretty sure the folks opposing the project will point out that Barroway owned much more than 5% in the past (he originally purchased 51% of the franchise).

Wouldn’t surprise me that they would strech it out to say that Barroway is a crooke and given he sold his shared to Murelo, that by association Murelo is not good either (not saying that is the case).
Anyone who buys into that narrative wouldn't have voted yes anyway. It's preaching to the choir.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Anyone who buys into that narrative wouldn't have voted yes anyway. It's preaching to the choir.

I mean Murelo and co had to send the opposition a cease and desist letter because they were spreading bullshit rumors about him.

For them this story and it’s timing is like a gift.

I am not saying this will make the project go sour, just that it’s weapons for those against it.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I mean Murelo and co had to send the opposition a cease and desist letter because they were spreading bullshit rumors about him.

I am not saying this will make the project go sour, just that it’s weapons for those against it.
The C&D letter was only in reference to labeling him as “corrupt” in their campaign signage.

They can still say all they want about the proposal.

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ

100%

Worst possible thing to have happened, they can officially say "Coyotes Owner is a criminal"

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Can they? Is Barroway actually a criminal before he is found guilty of the crime?

They’re already labeling Meruelo as corrupt.

Who knows? So far they haven’t expounded on it but one of their advisor/cheerleaders on Twitter has already done it.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
They’re already labeling Meruelo as corrupt.

Who knows? So far they haven’t expounded on it but one of their advisor/cheerleaders on Twitter has already done it.
Oh. I don't doubt that they will call Barroway a criminal. I was more replaying to the comment that they could "officially" call him one.

Reactions: TheLegend

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Nothing will happen. It may stay in the news a couple days but that's it.
NHL suspends him until next season and will quietly reinstate him.
Or at worse, he gets his whole 5% bought out at NHL's "suggestion"

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
Actually, in all honesty...and not to diminish the seriousness of the situation, but for the TempeWins side, better something like this happen now than happen five days before the vote. I suspect, like RoadRage suggested, that it will be a quiet background story long before it could have any meaningful impact on public perception of the organization.

Reactions: TheLegend

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
"She went to splash him with a drink and the bottle slipped and flew towards Andrew."

I always hate it when I go to splash my drink on someone and the bottle flies towards them. So gauche.

I mentioned in my team forum this looks like it was a marriage made in hell.

Surprised TMZ Sports isn’t all over this one.

:laugh:

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
Clear cut case of the Wife refusing to testify. The prosecution dropped the felony charge in May to motivate Mrs. Barroway. As a reminder here's a run down of the warrant Affidavit.

Aspen police arrested Barroway on Thursday morning at the Limelight Aspen on Monarch Street, after responding to a dispatch report that “a lady was yelling” and the couple were “now fighting again loudly.” Dispatch aired the call at approximately 8:42 a.m, according to an arrest-warrant affidavit.

Upon arriving on the scene, police interviewed a hotel manager who visited Barroway’s guest room that morning about a reported disturbance. A male apologized and closed the door, the affidavit said. Soon afterward, Barroway and the wife were screaming at each other, again drawing the manager’s attention.

“(The manager) knocked again and informed them that she is calling the police,” said the affidavit, which was prepared by Aspen Police officer Adriano Minniti. “The male asked them not to call the police and they’ve been quiet since then.” The manager also told Minniti that a housekeeper who spoke with the woman said she was “not OK,” “afraid,” “not well” and “hurt.”

Police then went to the room, where Minniti “knocked several times, and announced myself, but no one answered the door. The hotel called the room and advised the guest to answer the door. Two individuals answer the door, Andrew Barroway and (his wife). (The wife) appeared to be in distress as she was currently heavily crying, seemed to have been crying for a while, had bruising on her ankles, knees, and blood on her hands.”

The arrest warrant affidavit quoted the wife as saying: “I don’t want to ruin my prenup with him, so I didn’t want to say anything bad about him.”

Barroway appeared to be playing down to police what happened, based on the affidavit. Barroway said it was his wife’s birthday, she’d been to rehab twice, and they were going through a divorce but were trying to be together.

“He then said, ‘There’s nothing else,’” the affidavit said, adding the Barroway couple had been arguing over money, Barroway’s will and child support.

The affidavit said the woman’s injuries included a large bruise on her left thigh, a cut on her right thumb, bruises on both knees and both ankles, a red left cheek and two dried blood spots on her throat.
The injuries were from the couple’s violent altercations the Wednesday night before, according to another police officer who interviewed the wife, the affidavit said.

The wife told the officer that the “first altercation started last night (Wednesday) before dinner when her and Andrew were bickering … She went to splash him with a drink and the bottle slipped and flew towards Andrew. He slapped the bottle away and it broke, sending him into a ‘rage.’ After further interviewing, (the wife) clarified that Andrew slapped the bottle out of her hand,” the affidavit said. “He then strangled her with one hand and put her on the ground in the bathroom and a second time in the kitchen. Both the events caused fear and pain, stating that she ‘saw stars.’”

Later in the evening, the couple went out to dinner with some friends, returned to the Limelight and resumed arguing, the affidavit said.

“During the argument, Andrew slapped (the wife) twice (one with each hand) with an open hand on the face while she was in the living room,” the affidavit said.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Biggest curiosity here is how the league handles this.

Odds are they will remove the suspension and hope it all just blends back into the scenery.

Yeah there is rarely coverage of 5% owners. Like I said before most fans only know the controlling owner of their team. I bet most fans didn't even know the Texans had minority owners until one got arrested. Just the other day I saw a YouTube video that the NFL Draft Value Chart that Jimmy Johnson is credited with creating was created by Cowboys minority owner Mike McCoy. As big of a football fan as I am, I had zero idea that Jerry Jones ever had a partner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad