Arizona minority owner Barroway suspended indefinitely pending investigation after arrest

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
This franchise cannot catch a break.

As I noted in the other thread - Terrible timing with the referendum.

Project referendums can be tough even when times are good.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
There’s a morality clause in the deal ASU has with the Coyotes. There’s gotta be a lot of nervous people there right now.

I’d have to confirm it but the clause relates to how the Coyotes operates at ASU. Barroway is nothing more than a small investor along for the ride at this point.

But I could see Barroway getting his 5%
stake bought out now just to get rid of the baggage.

(EDIT: I’ve posed the question to Craig Morgan. Hopefully he can get something out of ASU.)

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There’s a morality clause in the deal ASU has with the Coyotes. There’s gotta be a lot of nervous people there right now.

Why? ASU just scored a free annex and upgrades to Mullet. They want the arena next to the campus arguably more than anyone else. There's no arena without the Coyotes.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
He only owns 5% as theLegend points out and has zero involvement in the franchise what so ever other than owning shares.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’d have to confirm it but the clause relates to how the Coyotes operates at ASU. Barroway is nothing more than a small investor along for the ride at this point.

(EDIT: I’ve posed the question to Craig Morgan. Hopefully he can get something out of ASU.)
I wouldn’t expect anything to happen, but it’s made the newscycle quickly for a reason.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I think you all have to look at both sides from the 50K foot level.

Pro-TED folks will most likely go the same way what’s being said here. (Paraphrasing) Barroway didn’t really have anything to do with the team, ASU’s benefited from AM with the Annex, this ain’t Alex Meruelo, it’s Barroway.

Anti-TED folks are going to want ASU to enforce the morality clause, add more logs to the fires they’re already trying to stoke with this mess (the extra fuel).

I have to think the trick comes down to that clause. The ones I found online and posted last year, the verbiage seemed to leave no “wiggle room” if you will. But it didn’t necessarily drill down and specifically outline every single possible self-infliction examples either.

So where this goes really comes down to ASU’s appetite to either enforce or relax their moral turpitude.

Questions I have are:

To what level does (or would) the NCAA get involved, if at all. As in, they’re made aware but allow ASU to handle it.

Are there any precedents to where ASU terminated partnerships in the past involving similar events.

We’ll see as things develop

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Hate to say it, Craig ol’ buddy, but if Barroway was such a Wallflower or corner-cobweb, the League would not have suspended him indefinitely

League still has to take that action.

Edit: Checking the team’s website he’s not even listed there.

So his status with the franchise is he’s an investor owner.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
if ASU tries to kick the coyotes out just over this that has nothing to do with the everyday fuction of the coyotes, the university risks getting sued for wrongful termination.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
if ASU tries to kick the coyotes out just over this that has nothing to do with the everyday fuction of the coyotes, the university risks getting sued for wrongful termination.
That would be stupid if they did to begin with. He's a minority owner, he doesn't represent anyone but himself. Hopefully they just buy his share of the team out at market value and move on. The legal system can handle the crime.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

5% owner and his behaviour could negatively influence the coming arena vote. Not that the vote is more important than a woman’s safety, of course.
Guys really need to keep their hands off women.

Why would ASU boot out their high paying tenant? Too much money involved.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
5% owner and his behaviour could negatively influence the coming arena vote. Not that the vote is more important than a woman’s safety, of course.
Guys really need to keep their hands off women.
So far the group opposed to the arena and entertainment district aren’t using the incident as a talking point.

So far.
Why would ASU boot out their high paying tenant? Too much money involved.

Not relative to the billions they could get elsewhere.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So far the group opposed to the arena and entertainment district aren’t using the incident as a talking point.

So far.

Not relative to the billions they could get elsewhere.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully the vote no people are a good bunch and realize using this coward’s behaviour as a means to get votes is wrong. But this guy is for sure an idiot. But him out right now!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Coyotes statement
We are aware of the allegation regarding Mr. Barroway and we are working with the League to gather more information. When we have enough information, we will have an appropriate response. Until the investigation is complete, we will have no further comment.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
It's time for the Coyotes to let Serrano sacrifice a chicken for Jobu

15842c06114482c9df14ec628adddc3c

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad