Arizona GM Chayka on Long Analytics Road

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Yes I am old fashion and I like it that way. I understand that the new fan wants to analyze everything because most have never played the game at a high level. That's fine, they have to cater to the new fan because that's where the money is. You're not going to get many more dollars out of us old folks. In my day it wasn't just about the money but that's the way all sports are going. It's more of an entertainment and merchandising business now.

Some players that reach that point may deserve a shot at those positions. But giving them these positions just because they were NHL players before this does reek of the old boys club and nepotism.

Gretzky was an awful coach. Millbury was an awful GM. Neely shouldn't be in charge of hockey operations.

There are plenty of examples of it working out, too. But like the draft. BPA. or Best Person Available. Always. Of the available GM, if the best option is an analytics guy. Take him, over the shiny PR move of an inexperienced NHL alumni. If the NHL alumni is the best person available, by all means, he should be selected.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Some players that reach that point may deserve a shot at those positions. But giving them these positions just because they were NHL players before this does reek of the old boys club and nepotism.

Gretzky was an awful coach. Millbury was an awful GM. Neely shouldn't be in charge of hockey operations.

There are plenty of examples of it working out, too. But like the draft. BPA. or Best Person Available. Always. Of the available GM, if the best option is an analytics guy. Take him, over the shiny PR move of an inexperienced NHL alumni. If the NHL alumni is the best person available, by all means, he should be selected.
The jury is still out on an analytics GM also. This is a copy cat league. If Arizona wins a Stanley Cup in a few years every team will hire a analytics GM. If not they will continue with former hockey players. Winning is what matters. How you do it is second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad