OT: Arizona Fan Biographies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Idea taken from the Lounge and Avs board. I don't know really any of you guys. It would be nice to get to know my fellow Yote fans better..

I'll start

Name: Steven
Hometown: Goodyear, AZ
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 212
Occupation: Work in a supplement/nutrition store. Also a Firefighter intern.
Favorite TV show: The Walking Dead
Favorite food: Orange chicken
Favorite Coyote: Boeds
Favorite non-Coyote: Zetterberg
Next or other favorite team: Sharks :help:, Avs
How else is hockey in your life?: Used to play AA/AAA Travel, now I just go to drop ins
Favorite Coyotes moment: Last year WCF.. It was a great run
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Originally had season tix to the ECHL roadrunners.. Got hooked onto hockey.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Name: Ryan
Hometown: Santa Rita, CA
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 220
Favorite TV show: How I Met Your Mother
Favorite food: Sheppard's Pie
Favorite Coyote: Boyd Gordon
Favorite non-Coyote: Anisimov
Next or other favorite team: Avalanche
How else is hockey in your life?: It's not, never played it, never skated on ice.
Favorite Coyotes moment: Glass seats against the Sharks on Buck Bash night. I had 6 drinks on the glass and there was a check to the boards and all the drinks crashed down to the floor.
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Went to a game on my birthday when they played at AWA, was hooked. I forget the year.[/QUOTE]

BigGumby

Apr 20, 2012
Moon Valley
I suppose I will join in.

Name: Kyle
Hometown: Phoenix, AZ
Height: 6'9"
Weight: 235
Favorite TV show: Sons of Anarchy
Favorite food: Chicken Parmigiana
Favorite Coyote: Doaner
Favorite non-Coyote: Chara
Next or other favorite team: Bruins
How else is hockey in your life?: Grew up playing street and roller hockey
Favorite Coyotes moment: First Coyotes home game, was my first time seeing an NHL game in person
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Day 1, grew up following the Hershey Bears with my dad and the Boston Bruins with my grandmother, attended many Roadrunners games during the IHL years, and, of course, became a Yotes fan when they moved here.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I suppose I will join in.

Name: Kyle
Hometown: Phoenix, AZ
Height: 6'9"
Weight: 235
Favorite TV show: Sons of Anarchy
Favorite food: Chicken Parmigiana
Favorite non-Coyote:
Next or other favorite team: Bruins
How else is hockey in your life?: Grew up playing street and roller hockey
Favorite Coyotes moment: First Coyotes home game, was my first time seeing an NHL game in person
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Day 1, grew up following the Hershey Bears with my dad and the Boston Bruins with my grandmother, attended many Roadrunners games during the IHL years, and, of course, became a Yotes fan when they moved here.

Since you are from Phoenix and still live here, have you ever thought of or wanted to live somewhere else? This will be my 2nd summer enduring the valley heat when it hits. Does that effect people over time, or are you just used to it and it's another year for you?

BigGumby

Apr 20, 2012
Moon Valley
Since you are from Phoenix and still live here, have you ever thought of or wanted to live somewhere else? This will be my 2nd summer enduring the valley heat when it hits. Does that effect people over time, or are you just used to it and it's another year for you?

I consider South Carolina my second home, as I've traveled there every year, but one, since I was born. I would move there in a heartbeat.

Just another year. As a kid, I got used to it, now I try to avoid being in the heat, but it's not the end of the world. Also, I either try to be inside or in/around a body of water.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Name: Andrew
Hometown: Mesa, AZ
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 195 lbs
Favorite TV show: Breaking Bad/ Game of Thrones
Favorite food: Hot wings
Favorite Coyote: Boyd Gordon
Favorite non-Coyote: Datsyuk
Next or other favorite team: N/A
How else is hockey in your life?: Family is pretty into it.
Favorite Coyotes moment: Coyotes advancing past the first round vs. CHI, going to the PHX zoo one year and meeting Sean Burke and the other players as a kid.
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Dad is from Chicago, but adopted to the Yotes over Blackhawks when the team moved here, he took me to all sorts of sporting events as a kid, including coyotes games. Got out of hockey for awhile, watching the 2010 Olympics got me back into it. Thankfully I only remember some of the Gretzky coaching years.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Name: Michael
Hometown: Christchurch, New Zealand
Weight: 95kg (210lbs)
Favorite TV Show: The Walking Dead/Community
Favorite Food: Chicken Satay
Favorite Coyote: Rusty Klesla
Favorite Non-Coyote: Vernon Fiddler
Next or other favorite team: Coyotes, and only the Coyotes.
How else is hockey in your life?: Played between the ages of 10 and 15 before having to choose between hockey and another sport. Chose the other sport, which I now regret. My aunt is also a big hockey fan, though she supports San Jose.
Favorite Coyotes moment: Watching the Coyotes make the playoffs in 09-10, their first since 01-02. Getting so emotionally involved in that series, and then almost crying after losing Game 7.
How and when did you become a Coyotes fan?: We used to get the occasional game on ESPN, back in the day. It would have been around 2001, and I remember watching a Coyotes game and thinking how unbelievably awesome their logo and jerseys were. So I started to research the team, and.. here we are.

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Name: Emil
Hometown: Vårgårda, Sweden
Height: 169cm
Weight: 71kg
Favorite TV show: Futurama
Favorite food: Pizza with pineapple, bananas, and garlic sauce.
Favorite Coyote: Keith Yandle. Historically, Keith Tkachuk.
Favorite non-Coyote: PK Subban/Ilya Bryzgalov/Teemu Selänne
Next or other favorite team: Winnipeg Jets
How else is hockey in your life?: Not at all.
Favorite Coyotes moment: Beating Chicago in the first round 2012.
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: When the team moved there from Winnipeg where my fandom started.

az archer

Feb 11, 2013
Florence
Name: Alexis
Hometown: Mesa, AZ
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 160
Favorite TV show: Mystery Science Theater 3000
Favorite food: Malt o' Meal
Favorite Coyote: Shane Doan.
Favorite non-Coyote: Braden Holtby.
Next or other favorite team: Minnesota.
How else is hockey in your life?: It's not, unfortunately. The only "sport" I play is archery.
Favorite Coyotes moment: Advancing to the WCF. And Kolanos' goal against Roy.
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Went to a few games as a kid but moved out of state. Started in earnest after returning to the Valley a few years ago.

Mayo Taco Monday

Mar 5, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Name: Mark
Hometown: Santa Cruz, CA
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 180
Favorite TV show: Futurama, I guess
Favorite food: Zwieback (its german)
Favorite Coyote: OEL
Favorite non-Coyote: Ovechkin, I guess
Next or other favorite team: Sharks, Panthers
How else is hockey in your life?: Used to play street hockey, then played league hockey in Flagstaff, now I play nothing.
Favorite Coyotes moment: Last year WCF, and Doans hatty
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Started as a sharks/panthers fan, moved to phoenix and was slowly absorbed into the fold

Flying Chalupa

Jan 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Name: Javier
Hometown: Torrance, CA
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 150
Favorite TV show: Workaholics
Favorite food: Pizza and/or Ben&Jerry's Chubby Hubby
Favorite Coyote: OEL
Favorite non-Coyote: Keith Ballard for the hip checks
Next or other favorite team: Blues, Ducks
How else is hockey in your life?: Mom got remarried and stepdad was an LA Kings season ticket holder so went to a ton of games at the fabulous forum in the 1980s. (I hate the kings now though)
Favorite Coyotes moment: Whitney's goal in OT game 1 vs Nashville
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Moved to AZ in 2006...hadn't been into hockey for years but went to open house at the then-named Glendale Arena and on a whim bought season tickets. Had them ever since, but now in the lower bowl...

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Name: Tricia
Hometown: Tempe, AZ
Weight: 145
Favorite TV show: None
Favorite food: Vodka
Favorite Coyote: Shane Doan
Favorite non-Coyote: Lars Eller
Next or other favorite team: Montreal Canadiens
How else is hockey in your life?: I play pickup about once a week and started officiating this season. Previously played high school hockey for two years.
Favorite Coyotes moment: Krys Kolanos scoring against Patrick Roy on a penalty shot.
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Started watching the Coyotes on FSA when I was in high school. Got hooked during the 01-02 season and with the exception of a few years off due to traveling around, hockey has been part of my life ever since.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dead Coyote

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

I'm also an Arizona native who still lives here. I did spend two years in Hawaii and one year in New Zealand though. Hawaii was nice but expensive. I might have stayed there on a permanent basis if not for job considerations and such. New Zealand was just a temporary thing where my working holiday visa was only good for a year anyway, but I wouldn't have minded staying either if it had been possible.

As for the hot summers here, I'm just used to them. I don't exactly go out running at noon on a July day but it's life as normal. I would rather have very hot summers than have to deal with snow in the winter.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

You get used to it. I believe the blood actually thins out a bit. But mostly you should maintain some perspective. I'm not sure where you've lived in the past, but the dryness of the heat is the best part. So what if it's 120 out in a parking lot? There's no humidity. It's like walking around in an oven or having a blow dryer in your face all the time. I don't really find it all that oppressive. I went to Florida on vacation during the summer there and I was zapped after a few hours. Here you can avoid the heat with shade and AC, but there it seems like there's no escape.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Name: Anthony
Hometown: Iwakuni, Japan
Height: 5'8
Weight: 180
Favorite TV show: Blue Mountain State
Favorite food: Katsu Donburi
Favorite Coyote: Shane Doan
Favorite non-Coyote: Steven Stamkos
Next or other favorite team: Colorado Avalanche
How else is hockey in your life?: I try to play every once in a while. If I ever have a kid that schmuck doesn't have a choice but to lace up.
Favorite Coyotes moment: Last year's playoff run
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Moved from Japan to AZ and was into hockey. My family are Red Wings fans, but I wanted something local. So I started to root for the Yotes.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Name: Scott
Hometown: Scottsdale, AZ
Height: 5'11
Weight: 185
Favorite TV show: Breaking Bad
Favorite food: Sushi
Favorite Coyote: Kyle Chipchura
Favorite non-Coyote: Mike Richards
Next or other favorite team: Flyers
How else is hockey in your life?: Played since I was three.
Favorite Coyotes moment: Doans hat trick
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: loved hockey since I could remember an phoenix has always been my team.

Yote Devil

Jan 20, 2010
Prescott/Tempe,AZ
Name: Trevor
Hometown: Prescott, AZ
Height: 5'11
Weight: 155
Favorite TV show: Top Gear (uk of course)
Favorite food: All food
Favorite non-Coyote: Zach Parise
Next or other favorite team: Avs
Favorite Coyotes moment: Going past the first round
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Went to my first hockey game at AWA when i was about 12, hooked ever since

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Too lazy to participate but surprisingly I'm finding this pretty interesting, keep them coming!

Deputy Dawg

Jan 19, 2013
Name: Kevin
Hometown: Akron, OH (moved to Phoenix in 1987)
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 175
Favorite TV show: Walking Dead
Favorite food: Sushi, I guess
Favorite Coyote: Boedker (and Doan of course)
Favorite non-Coyote: probably Ovechkin
Next or other favorite team: Used to be Chicago, but none now.
Non-hockey team: Cleveland Browns, Diamondbacks
How else is hockey in your life?: Played roller hockey when I was stationed in San Diego (after becoming a Yotes fan). I've raised a die-hard Yotes fan. She's 14 now
Favorite Coyotes moment: There's a few good ones...Doan hat-trick stands out at the moment.
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Learned the hockey rules from a video game. Watched a game on TV during their first season in Phoenix. We were down by 2 goals and came back and won. I've been hooked ever since. I remember the Tkachuk/Roenick years and I've sat in the obstructed view seats at AWA (or whatever it is now).

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
It's cool to see how all of us became Coyotes fans and where we are from. Keep it up guys.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Name: Rob
Hometown: Baltimore MD
Height: 5' 10
Weight: 205
Favorite TV show: Top Gear UK version
Favorite food: Crab cakes
Favorite Coyote: Vrbata
Favorite non-Coyote: Whitney
Next or other favorite team: Penguins (Baltimore's minor league team was affiliated with them)
Non-hockey team: Cards, D-Backs, Ravens, Orioles
How else is hockey in your life?: Gives my in-laws in Yuma a reason to come visit
Favorite Coyotes moment: Doan hat-trick (after game 7 vs Detroit when we were cheering "Lets-go-Coyotes" was quite memorable, too.)

How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Got a couple free tickets to a game in March 2008 and went with the wife. Liked it and started getting Howliday packs the next season (coincides with our anniversary). Cutting back on games with 2 daughters going to ASU.

Last edited:

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
Name: Peter
Hometown: Flagstaff, AZ
Height: 6'4"
Favorite TV show: Law & Order
Favorite food: Burritos
Favorite Coyote: Boedker
Favorite non-Coyote: Stamkos
Next or other favorite team: Flyers and Lightning. Used to like the Thrashers when I lived in Atlanta
How else is hockey in your life?: Not really. Used to catch a lot of ECHL games with the Pensacola Ice Pilots when I lived there and the Gwinnett Gladiators when I lived in Atlanta
Favorite Coyotes moment: Boedker's back-to-back OT goals
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Brother-in-law introduced me to hockey and he was a Flyers fan. I was one too until I was 12 or 13 and decided that I shouldn't be since I'm not from Philadelphia and never lived there. I was born in Arizona so I went with the Coyotes

Last edited:

OKHoosier41218

Jan 21, 2007
Indianapolis
Name: Gary
Hometown: Indianapolis, IN
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 242
Favorite TV show: Psych, South Park
Favorite food: Mexican
Favorite Coyote: (present) Doan, Smith (past) Roenick, Waite
Favorite non-Coyote: Backes, Jagr
Next or other favorite team: Blues, OKC Barons
How else is hockey in your life?: Became a fan at the age of 9 after going to my first IHL game, played hockey while in high school, jersey and card collector
Favorite Coyotes moment: My first game at Jobing.com Arena (and the numerous games I attended while living out there from 2004-2008), meeting the team at the Coyotes Game Night in 2007, Last season's playoff run.
How and when did you become a Coyote fan?: Acquiring JR was a good start in 1996, loved the jerseys. Then I got stationed at Luke AFB in 2004. The team was one of the biggest selling points about moving to Phoenix, a city I didn't know much about.

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
A lot of us don't even live in Arizona.

I take that back, only 4 of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad