Arizona CXXXVIII - City of Glendale opting out of lease agreement with the Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I think it's clear the NHL is in no rush to go back to Quebec City and would prefer to keep all markets where they are, but I think QC is more than just a "stalking horse".

QC is their ace in the hole. If Phoenix (or Florida, or somewhere else) blows up, they can move the team to QC at a moment's notice. They have the arena, they have a fanbase, they have an owner ready to go.

Would the NHL prefer to go to Houston rather than QC? Sure. But it's more complicated because it doesn't have the same kind of instant fanbase (though I think it could potentially be a good market for the NHL), and because Fertitta is going to drive a hard bargain.

Realignment would definitely be an issue if Phoenix moved, but it's a solvable issue. Perhaps the team just plays out of the Central for a couple of years like Winnipeg did.

is it really an ace in the hole, or is it another Kansas City? I'm just as nostalgic for the Nordiques as anyone on here, but the truth is, Phoenix has already blown up & the Coyotes are still there. We already had an expansion round, Quebec put a bid in & was not selected. Actions speak pretty loudly that the league doesn't view QC as a viable option, but is more than willing to use it as a leverage tool.

Reactions: Knights2017

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
You’re making a lot of your own assumptions.

I’m pointing out the fallacy of assuming the NHL has complete control over franchises moving.

It doesn’t matter if the destination location is outside US boundaries. The NHL is based in the US and would still be subject to an anti-trust suit.

there hasn't been an Al Davis situation in the NHL, nor is there any indication one is forthcoming. The league has been pretty successful in putting/keeping franchises exactly where they want them.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
"Suburb of Fort Lauderdale" it's the Miami metropolitan area as defined by the Census Bureau.

Yeah as we know the Census Bureau definitions is what its all about. Nevermind that its a 45 minute drive when there is no traffic between the Panthers arena and downtown Miami...

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yeah as we know the Census Bureau definitions is what its all about. Nevermind that its a 45 minute drive when there is no traffic between the Panthers arena and downtown Miami...
About as bad West Suffolk to Manhattan as you well know. But point is they're the team that represents Miami in the NHL.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Which is weird given their obsession with American deserts and their aversion to potentially lucrative markets.
there hasn't been an Al Davis situation in the NHL, nor is there any indication one is forthcoming. The league has been pretty successful in putting/keeping franchises exactly where they want them.

Guys, they got the TV contract but still want a bigger one. Until they cross one billion dollars, QC City will be on the backburner sad as it is to say.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Hasn’t been one….. yet.

They kept Balsillie from moving a franchise to Hamilton by a couple of methods. The 7-year no relocation clause and approving him as an owner.

Meruelo is an approved owner with no 7-year clause (it’s been confirmed). So what trick would the league have up their sleeve to stop a relocation then??

I’m not expecting a relocation, but I also can’t ignore there’s always the possibility.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
T-mobile arena was built in just under 2 years from ground breaking
GRA was built in 2 years.

Like I wrote earlier: development agreements signed by end of year, a year to 18 months of planning & permits(digging will be occurring in parallel) followed by 2 years of construction.

A big problem(after finance) is actually getting enough subs and other aspects of project management. The biggest problems are in residential, but commercial has issues as well.

The city yard will be phase II after the arena gets done.

Reactions: Llama19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad