OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIV - Life, The Universe and “Marvel Studios kicks DC Comics’ ass.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Anyone else waiting for Red Dead Redemption II? Wait is almost finally over :partytime:
I'm trying to talk myself out of getting an Xbox One X just for the occasion, I don't think my practical side is going to win out though. That game looks gorgeous!!!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why wait for it to come out on PC?

Definitive version, all DLC and polish usually. There's really no downside to waiting nowadays for singleplayer games. A lot of the time you get a better product for cheaper if you just wait.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Definitive version, all DLC and polish usually. There's really no downside to waiting nowadays for singleplayer games. A lot of the time you get a better product for cheaper if you just wait.

I agree. I'm reluctant to spend more than $20 on a game I'm not sure I'll like. The last game I bought as a new release was Skyrim, and that was almost 7 years ago... :laugh:

I knew I was going to like it which is why I didn't mind spending $60 on it on release day though.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I agree. I'm reluctant to spend more than $20 on a game I'm not sure I'll like. The last game I bought as a new release was Skyrim, and that was almost 7 years ago... :laugh:

I knew I was going to like it which is why I didn't mind spending $60 on it on release day though.
I almost never buy new games either. Around $20 is pretty much the most I'll spend now. As great as RDR2 looks, I doubt I'd have it right now even if it was out for the PC because of my cheapness.

I'd consider getting a console for it, but since I don't have as much time for gaming anymore anyway, 2 gaming systems is probably overkill. Also there's really there's only a handful of games I'd like to play that I can't on the PC. Outside of RDR2, probably horizon zero dawn and the third infamous game would be on my list. I've thought about sports games, but after trying Madden 19 out on the PC, I decided I'm not missing much lol.

My last few consoles didn't last very long either. I had a 360 that had constant issues, and a ps3 that died just a couple of years after I bought it after very light use. On the flip side after running like a champ for 4 years I sold my old video card for half of what bought it for, and after 5 years sold my motherboard, cpu and ram for a couple hundred too.

I think I'd miss some PC stuff too like control flexibility (I switch from keyboard and mouse to controller to hotas depending on the game) , mod support, though that is slowly working its way to consoles. The framerate would be a problem too, I've gotten used to 60 FPS and I hate when it drops to even 50 now. Loading time from games on my SSD vs consoles would be tough too. I was watching a friend play fallout 4 on a PS4 and thought the game froze on the loading screen haha.

I'm not totally against getting a console in the future, but right now I don't have a great reason to get one, and I'm wary based off of the quality of my last two.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Well the downside is literally waiting but yes, if you're willing to wait you'll get much more bang for buck.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I almost never buy new games either. Around $20 is pretty much the most I'll spend now. As great as RDR2 looks, I doubt I'd have it right now even if it was out for the PC because of my cheapness.

I'd consider getting a console for it, but since I don't have as much time for gaming anymore anyway, 2 gaming systems is probably overkill. Also there's really there's only a handful of games I'd like to play that I can't on the PC. Outside of RDR2, probably horizon zero dawn and the third infamous game would be on my list. I've thought about sports games, but after trying Madden 19 out on the PC, I decided I'm not missing much lol.

My last few consoles didn't last very long either. I had a 360 that had constant issues, and a ps3 that died just a couple of years after I bought it after very light use. On the flip side after running like a champ for 4 years I sold my old video card for half of what bought it for, and after 5 years sold my motherboard, cpu and ram for a couple hundred too.

I think I'd miss some PC stuff too like control flexibility (I switch from keyboard and mouse to controller to hotas depending on the game) , mod support, though that is slowly working its way to consoles. The framerate would be a problem too, I've gotten used to 60 FPS and I hate when it drops to even 50 now. Loading time from games on my SSD vs consoles would be tough too. I was watching a friend play fallout 4 on a PS4 and thought the game froze on the loading screen haha.

I'm not totally against getting a console in the future, but right now I don't have a great reason to get one, and I'm wary based off of the quality of my last two.
I have never really been able to get into PC gaming. I built a gaming PC several years ago and pretty much never used it (for gaming anyway). I love the thought of buying monstrous video cards and cruising along at the highest FPS possible but it always seems like a bunch of hassle and I end up back on a console. The allure of the highest tech possible is offset by the convenience of the console. I did get a red ring of death on an old 360 but otherwise I've had good luck and most importantly the games always work. My biggest obstacle though is the gaming space, it's really hard to beat a big TV, audio system and a comfy couch. I've thought about putting in the effort to integrating a gaming PC into my living room AV setup but I'm not sure the difference would be worth all the hassle and money. Plus consoles seem to get all the best games while the PC is often treated like a second class citizen. Do you game in your office or do you have your PC integrated into a home theater setup?

Reactions: ck26

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

That's how I felt about Red Dead Redemption 2, there's almost zero chance I won't like it so for me it was worth buying it now instead of waiting a year or two for the GOTY type editions to come out for half the cost. I don't buy near as many games these days either, $60 isn't as big of deal when you only buy 3-4 games a year.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I have never really been able to get into PC gaming. I built a gaming PC several years ago and pretty much never used it (for gaming anyway). I love the thought of buying monstrous video cards and cruising along at the highest FPS possible but it always seems like a bunch of hassle and I end up back on a console. The allure of the highest tech possible is offset by the convenience of the console. I did get a red ring of death on an old 360 but otherwise I've had good luck and most importantly the games always work. My biggest obstacle though is the gaming space, it's really hard to beat a big TV, audio system and a comfy couch. I've thought about putting in the effort to integrating a gaming PC into my living room AV setup but I'm not sure the difference would be worth all the hassle and money. Plus consoles seem to get all the best games while the PC is often treated like a second class citizen. Do you game in your office or do you have your PC integrated into a home theater setup?
The simplicity of consoles is a huge advantage. I had to totally reinstall windows a couple of weeks ago, and it was annoying. If I had better luck with my consoles I might feel differently, but they just seem so cheap and shoddily made.

A gaming PC set up to a home theater is totally doable, and easy. Up until about 6 years ago I was strictly a console gamer, so my pc is set up "console style" to a TV, sound system, with a wireless mouse and USB extended keyboard next to my comfy sack. If you wanted to just use a controller (which I also did for a year after switching, it works fine don't let keyboard and mouse elitists tell you otherwise) it's even easier, you could skip the USB extender. You could also just go for a wireless keyboard, but wireless gaming keyboards don't really exist. If you did go controller, Steam even has a "big picture" mode built for controllers and TVs. I don't use it, and don't think it's necessary, but it's there.

I don't think the game gap is all that big anymore. All xbox exclusives will be on pc now. Like I previously mentioned it's just sports games, PS4 exclusives, and the occasional game that chooses not to release on PC right away like GTA5 and RDR2 that PC gamers don't have access to.

If the benefits I listed previously don't really appeal to you, or don't overcome the convenience of consoles, it may not be worth it for you. Personally though, after switching I can't go back. Everything looks so much better, and runs so much faster and smoother, and you have so much more flexibility.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The simplicity of consoles is a huge advantage. I had to totally reinstall windows a couple of weeks ago, and it was annoying. If I had better luck with my consoles I might feel differently, but they just seem so cheap and shoddily made.

A gaming PC set up to a home theater is totally doable, and easy. Up until about 6 years ago I was strictly a console gamer, so my pc is set up "console style" to a TV, sound system, with a wireless mouse and USB extended keyboard next to my comfy sack. If you wanted to just use a controller (which I also did for a year after switching, it works fine don't let keyboard and mouse elitists tell you otherwise) it's even easier, you could skip the USB extender. You could also just go for a wireless keyboard, but wireless gaming keyboards don't really exist. If you did go controller, Steam even has a "big picture" mode built for controllers and TVs. I don't use it, and don't think it's necessary, but it's there.

I don't think the game gap is all that big anymore. All xbox exclusives will be on pc now. Like I previously mentioned it's just sports games, PS4 exclusives, and the occasional game that chooses not to release on PC right away like GTA5 and RDR2 that PC gamers don't have access to.

If the benefits I listed previously don't really appeal to you, or don't overcome the convenience of consoles, it may not be worth it for you. Personally though, after switching I can't go back. Everything looks so much better, and runs so much faster and smoother, and you have so much more flexibility.

Consoles are also a lot cheaper since the companies actually sell them at a loss (but make up the difference in selling the actual games). You can get a current-generation console for a few hundred dollars. I've spent almost $3,000 on my gaming PC over time. Though, that's an advantage of PC gaming; you can upgrade parts over a longer period of time. I didn't buy everything I have for my gaming PC at once.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Consoles are also a lot cheaper since the companies actually sell them at a loss (but make up the difference in selling the actual games). You can get a current-generation console for a few hundred dollars. I've spent almost $3,000 on my gaming PC over time. Though, that's an advantage of PC gaming; you can upgrade parts over a longer period of time. I didn't buy everything I have for my gaming PC at once.
True, if you wait for deals it's not bad at all though. My GTX 1070 was $335, and I had sold my 670 for $220. I got about $200 for my old mobo cpu and ram(3570k), and got a smoking deal on an 8700k with a nice mobo for like $400. 16 gigs DDR3 ram was a little over a hundred after an eBay coupon code. Add it all up and I spent over $400 to upgrade to pretty high end stuff.

I kept my previous drives and case, some of which are going on 8 years old and 3 PC builds. My case was about $150 Iirc, one HDD was like $25, one is 8 years old and I don't even remember how much it was, same for my bluray/HD-DVD drive (they're from the same super old build). One SSD is probably 4 years old and was $100, one is pretty new and was also $100. Grand total of parts I already had $375, with all but 1 part already in use for 4 years, 2 in use for 8. Don't they release new, more powerful versions of consoles about every 4 years now? Consoles are cheaper, but if you don't go super high end, and wait for deals not by a ton.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
True, if you wait for deals it's not bad at all though. My GTX 1070 was $335, and I had sold my 670 for $220. I got about $200 for my old mobo cpu and ram(3570k), and got a smoking deal on an 8700k with a nice mobo for like $400. 16 gigs DDR3 ram was a little over a hundred after an eBay coupon code. Add it all up and I spent over $400 to upgrade to pretty high end stuff.

I kept my previous drives and case, some of which are going on 8 years old and 3 PC builds. My case was about $150 Iirc, one HDD was like $25, one is 8 years old and I don't even remember how much it was, same for my bluray/HD-DVD drive (they're from the same super old build). One SSD is probably 4 years old and was $100, one is pretty new and was also $100. Grand total of parts I already had $375, with all but 1 part already in use for 4 years, 2 in use for 8. Don't they release new, more powerful versions of consoles about every 4 years now? Consoles are cheaper, but if you don't go super high end, and wait for deals not by a ton.

I've had the same case and optical drive for 10 years. 1.5TB 5900rpm HDD for general storage (I don't install games to it) for 9 years. I did have to replace my PSU recently, but it lasted me 8 years. I definitely feel you there. I've also had dual 23" 1080p monitors for 5 years and with my viewing distance I probably never need to go higher.

The meaty thing to upgrade which you generally have to do all at once is motherboard, CPU, and RAM. That costs a pretty penny. I did that last summer, going with a B350 motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM, and a Ryzen 5 1600. A few months later, I found a 1060 6GB for $275. That was pretty cool. Came with a free copy of Rocket League too.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I've had the same case and optical drive for 10 years. 1.5TB 5900rpm HDD for general storage (I don't install games to it) for 9 years. I did have to replace my PSU recently, but it lasted me 8 years. I definitely feel you there. I've also had dual 23" 1080p monitors for 5 years and with my viewing distance I probably never need to go higher.

The meaty thing to upgrade which you generally have to do all at once is motherboard, CPU, and RAM. That costs a pretty penny. I did that last summer, going with a B350 motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM, and a Ryzen 5 1600. A few months later, I found a 1060 6GB for $275. That was pretty cool. Came with a free copy of Rocket League too.
Yeah mobo cpu and ram can hit hard. Still, CPU mobo bundles offer nice deals, and if you time GPU upgrades right they're not bad either. I forgot about my PSU, I have no idea how old that is. Basically I think the price difference isn't as big of a deal as it's cracked up to be if you're smart about it, especially now with consoles getting mid generation upgraded versions. All of this discussion really highlights the HUGE convenience edge consoles have though lol.

I was going to get a 1060 6gb, but the deal on that 1070 was too good to pass up. It's a funny card, it's a stock 1070 with the cooler from a 980 ti slapped on, so it has waaaaay more cooling than needed. I overclocked it a bunch and it still runs super cool with the fan barely audible.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
It really depends on what you are trying to get out of a gaming PC. I have a PC that I game with, but DotA 2 and Rocket League are not demanding games. I had some problems with PUBG but I was also playing that through beta and everyone had issues. Bottom line, unless you have to have 60fps and have multiple heavy duty apps running at the same time, you don't need to spend a crap ton of money. Like anything else, POU is important, I know I wont be playing a lot or intense games so I don't need duel 1080 titans, my 1050ti does just fine.

I should mention that Ark did a number on my GPU though, high density clusters would take 5ish seconds to load up and then it would stutter a bit.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Not sure where to stick this so I'll put it here. Not sure who made it but someone just posted this on Facebook. Awesome concept. I'd trade the current home jerseys for this in a heartbeat.
44977687_2214700668809184_3031580787318194176_o.jpg

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Has anyone actually played red dead redemption 2? Not a huge gamer but I remember playing that back in the day, the first one and loving it. I’ve had a Xbox one x for almost a year now and have only played nhl on it and that was back in September.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Not sure where to stick this so I'll put it here. Not sure who made it but someone just posted this on Facebook. Awesome concept. I'd trade the current home jerseys for this in a heartbeat.
44977687_2214700668809184_3031580787318194176_o.jpg
Unfortunately, the black on black with a deep red Coyote doesn't show well on the small screen. The white on black is terrific.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
How about the old 3rd uni color, a green jersey with one of the Coyote heads, the Gretzky, the Kachina or the alternate Kachina, on black shorts for the home unis?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
All of this discussion really highlights the HUGE convenience edge consoles have though lol.

haha as I was reading I just kept thinking about those "ain't nobody got time for that" memes. It's also triggering some PTSD from back in the day when I did play some PC games and there always seemed to be some specific f***ing driver that I had to hunt down to get my setup to work. At least back then you didn't have to worry about some auto-update conveniently replacing your driver with the latest and greatest one that doesn't work. So. Much. Rage.

I agree the cost isn't quite as big of deal anymore, heck in the past 5 years I've spent roughly $750 on consoles. Though to be fair not because I had any problems, I just upgraded from a regular Xbone, to the Forza Edition to finally a OneX.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Has anyone actually played red dead redemption 2? Not a huge gamer but I remember playing that back in the day, the first one and loving it. I’ve had a Xbox one x for almost a year now and have only played nhl on it and that was back in September.
I'm playing it but I'm not that far along yet as I just started it last night but it's good so far. I loved the first one too and have been itching to play this one. By all accounts Rockstar has delivered in spades, heck the game is sitting at a 97 on metacritic right now which is pretty crazy. So yeah, if you liked the first one I'd say it's probably a no brainer purchase for you, especially since you have the One X.

Reactions: SR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad