OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIV - Life, The Universe and “Marvel Studios kicks DC Comics’ ass.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Who sells hockey gear locally? Just went into Big 5 at Christown and they had nothing. I'm looking for a stick, net, training biscuits and possibly a bag of pucks. The latter 2 items I can buy online but I'd prefer to inspect and acquire a stick and net locally. Arcadia Ice Arena and Ice Den are on my radar as they have shops but they might be exclusive to skates.

There's a Behind The Mask store at Pima Crossing, right next to Don Bluth's Front Row Theatre. Prices are ridiculous but, again, it's Scottsdale. They have basically everything there.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Had a discussion about the Hartford Whalers today, been poking around on youtube this evening. Found a great video of their last game, a meaningless game in 1997 against Tampa.

I don't know if this was typical of the era (I don't remember it being so) or typical of the Hartford TV guys or was just a case of them not caring anymore, but 6 minutes into the game and they've already made a Ku Klux Klan joke and casually referred to the players going out and getting smashed the night before the game (when they found out the result wouldn't matter) and their pregame meal that day being Tylenol.

Really entertaining watch.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
TIL Sean Burke was the starting goaltender for the last ever Hartford Whalers game.

As for the other stuff, I listened to the first 6 minutes and didn't notice the stuff you were referring too. Maybe it's later? :dunno:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Am now semi-officially engaged (I still need to get sized for a ring hence it's not "official" yet). Once I have a ring size it'll be a really silly formal proposal though.

Love him to death, even if he turned me into a Tampa Bay Rays fan.

Congratulations, then. And you're from Gainesville now? (I had to click on the username to make sure it was you (82000 messages - yep, checks out ) and I only bring it up because that's where I went to college)

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Preemptive change by a bit, but that's where I'll be going. The sooner the better.

Well, if heaven forbid you ever get injured at work or elsewhere ( and the nearest ice rink I believe is in Daytona or Jacksonville - that's where UF's club team plays anyway), my college roommate is a physiatrist there...

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
skip all the above, except toyota and some hondas, if you want to go long term. honda have great engines but weak transmissions, compared to toyota. especially skip diesel. i agree that hyundai could be a strong contender but still a little new. subaru is ok if you need awd, but overall not great cars as far as repairs go. absolutely skip hybrids!!!! complete money pits. audi (vw) are expensive to fix and not reliable over 100k miles, if they even get there before any major repairs. skip any car that has brand new technology.

one main issue with vehicles is when a manufacture will buy other manufactures. autos are certainly not built the same way they were 10+ years ago. for example, nissan used to be very strong cars. but when they merged with renault, their quality went downhill. lexus is owned by toyota, acura is owned by honda, etc. so do some research on who actually manufactures your car. this can give you an indication of how reliable they are and how expensive they can be to fix.

when i value a car in a total loss it’s determined at actual cash value, which takes into consider depreciation. so the more crappy your car is, the less you’ll get in the event of a total loss.
What are your thoughts on Volvo? They seem to have a good reputation for reliability and especially for safety. They also seem to have AWD and decent turbo power available across platforms, which is interesting and a little unique.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Loved my Volvo. I didn't find it any less (or more) reliable than anything else I've owned, but the dealership was expensive when it did need work.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I had a S60 R design. Freakishly fast. Every bit as quick as my Z4 35i. A bit quirky. No automatic headlights as Volvo expects one to keep the low beams on all the time. Adaptive cruise was good on the highway, but unsatisfying on city streets as the acceleration from a stop was so very slow that it annoyed trailing cars. Automatic braking and pedestrian detection were terrific.

I think that Volvo is going full electric in a few years.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Loved my Volvo. I didn't find it any less (or more) reliable than anything else I've owned, but the dealership was expensive when it did need work.

Like anything European, maintenance and repairs are a lot higher on Volvos. Doing the scheduled maintenance definitely helps, something most neglect.

It seems all manufacturers are putting so much technology into vehicles these days, any little problem becomes a huge expense. I've been thinking about getting a new truck for a while but even if I stick with Toyota which have simpler, more reliable platforms, you have to get all that lane departure and distance pacing safety shit. It takes special equipment just to do an alignment, something my company hasn't invested it yet, although it's coming eventually. But with the added equipment, something as simple as an alignment you should do a couple times a year is going way up in price. The price of vehicles will continue to climb with all the technology but where I think they will really get you is with maintenance plans you will almost have to get in the near future.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Maybe it's later?
6 minutes of game = 16 minutes of video. Not optimal phrasing by me, my bad.
Am now semi-officially engaged (I still need to get sized for a ring hence it's not "official" yet). Once I have a ring size it'll be a really silly formal proposal though.

Love him to death, even if he turned me into a Tampa Bay Rays fan.
Congrats to Etheral ... Katie ... Primrose ... Rundblad ... FFS, how often do you change your username around here?

Always a pleasure to hear about marriages, retirements, aspiring music careers, restaurant advice, babies, fights at gas stations ... I've only had the chance to meet a handful forum=40'ers, but consider all y'all just as integral a part of my Coyotes experience as a pregame pint at Yardhouse ... as that obnoxious, Yandle-and-Ribeiro-hating retiree who sat across the aisle from me in 2014 ... as the (now married) couple from 2015 ... as hating Todd Walsh ... and as integral as wearing the only Dave Moss jersey in AZ. All the best to you and the fiancee.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
6 minutes of game = 16 minutes of video. Not optimal phrasing by me, my bad.Congrats to Etheral ... Katie ... Primrose ... Rundblad ... FFS, how often do you change your username around here?

Always a pleasure to hear about marriages, retirements, aspiring music careers, restaurant advice, babies, fights at gas stations ... I've only had the chance to meet a handful forum=40'ers, but consider all y'all just as integral a part of my Coyotes experience as a pregame pint at Yardhouse ... as that obnoxious, Yandle-and-Ribeiro-hating retiree who sat across the aisle from me in 2014 ... as the (now married) couple from 2015 ... as hating Todd Walsh ... and as integral as wearing the only Dave Moss jersey in AZ. All the best to you and the fiancee.

Well, you can change it once a year as a non-sponsor (which I now am because meh, I used to be a sponsor) or once every 3 months-ish as a sponsor. I've been on this site for... 7 years now?

I forgot all the usernames I've used. Tricia McMillan, Rundblad, Ethereal Whisper, Lady Macbeth, Katie Connauton, Primrose Everdeeon, and now... Summer Rose? I probably missed one :laugh:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What are your thoughts on Volvo? They seem to have a good reputation for reliability and especially for safety. They also seem to have AWD and decent turbo power available across platforms, which is interesting and a little unique.

Volvos = great cars at an extremely inflated price.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I’m looking to buy a car that is two-ish years old, with 20ish thousand miles. It seems to level the playing field quite a bit.

They're good cars, but IMO there's not a lot of additional value-add in a Volvo that you can't get in other brands. And you'd pay a premium for the badging in service costs, etc., as mentioned above.

rt

May 13, 2004
They're good cars, but IMO there's not a lot of additional value-add in a Volvo that you can't get in other brands. And you'd pay a premium for the badging in service costs, etc., as mentioned above.
Nothing to all the safety hype in your mind then? That would be a legitimate factor for me if it’s reality based.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Nothing to all the safety hype in your mind then? That would be a legitimate factor for me if it’s reality based.

IMO it's a marketing thing more than anything - these days most cars have safe construction and airbags and so forth. If you were buying an 80s or 90s-vintage used car, then it'd be legit - but if you're within the past five years you're not doing much more than paying extra for reputation.

Reactions: ck26

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I just got a notification from HFBoards that today is my 15th anniversary here. That’s so sad.

The freaky thing is that it's possible that a couple of our F40 posters here were in diapers when you established your account here. Also, I'm only two years behind you, although that two- or three-year hiatus I took kinda takes me out of the "iron man" conversation.

rt

May 13, 2004
IMO it's a marketing thing more than anything - these days most cars have safe construction and airbags and so forth. If you were buying an 80s or 90s-vintage used car, then it'd be legit - but if you're within the past five years you're not doing much more than paying extra for reputation.
That is very interesting. One thing I like is they seem to have good roominess in the cabin (for the driver) in a much smaller package then some of the competition. They seem to offer AWD on cheaper trim packages. They seem to get pretty good horsepower out of smaller engines, and improve the MPG considerably. Not that I really care about that. I average 6k mi per year. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad