OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIV - Life, The Universe and “Marvel Studios kicks DC Comics’ ass.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
$50k a year to be the point of contact with the public, almost all of whom are having a #-y day. Fringe benefits include: free coffee, the chance to get shot at, and being called a revenue collector.

Sounds underpaid to me.
I mean your colorful portrayal could just as easily be describing convenience store clerks (except they make way less money). It's anecdotal but my friends who are police officers in the valley both make waaaaaaaay more than $50k. Not to mention the insane benefits and endless overtime should they wish to take advantage. One of them is soon to be retired/rehired and will then be on the double dip train on top of it all. Being a police officer, at least in AZ, is a very lucrative position. It's fairly rare to have that level of earning with nothing more than a high school diploma.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The proliferation of cell phone video, body cameras, and other video surveillance is and will change policing significantly, mostly for the better. People act differently when they know they are on camera.

I say "mostly" because sometimes the video only shows part of the story, doesn't have clear audio, or can be misinterpreted.

Maybe but I think it still greatly depends on how the whole system is deployed end to end. As far as I know there's nothing in place to handle cameras that are turned off or happen to malfunction at the most inopportune times. Also the data should also be streamed to unrelated 3rd party servers where anything beyond read access is strictly prohibited. I say unrelated because I believe Taser International is heavily involved with body cams and that's about as unrelated to law enforcement as misery is to the Coyotes. Almost certainly one of the reasons they changed their company name to the less descriptive Axon Enterprise. Might as well hire on Glock as an impartial 3rd party too. lol

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Ever get pulled over for driving while black? Ever need to give your child "the talk"? My Godson got the talk when he got his driver's permit. There's plenty of reason to distrust the police. Racism is rife in among policemen.

My daughter borrowed my high end BMW and got pulled over driving away from my office, where we had lunch together. Seemed the cop didn't like the look of a Bronze skinned 17 year old driving a high end car. He faulted her for not stopping before making a right on a red. My security camera caught it and we went to court and won.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Ever get pulled over for driving while black? Ever need to give your child "the talk"? My Godson got the talk when he got his driver's permit. There's plenty of reason to distrust the police. Racism is rife in among policemen.

My daughter borrowed my high end BMW and got pulled over driving away from my office, where we had lunch together. Seemed the cop didn't like the look of a Bronze skinned 17 year old driving a high end car. He faulted her for not stopping before making a right on a red. My security camera caught it and we went to court and won.

Much of what you describe is profiling. Yes, blacks are more likely to be stopped, but so are men over women and young over old.

Does it make it right? No. Cops should not be inventing reasons to stop cars, but profiling in general is good police work. It must be applied correctly.

I've been profiled and stopped when there was no reason to do so, and I'm Caucasian.

Reactions: Lilhoody

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Coyote scares off a thief. Pretty sure he was just looking for the net. Looks confused...typical. :facepalm:

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
$50k a year to be the point of contact with the public, almost all of whom are having a #-y day. Fringe benefits include: free coffee, the chance to get shot at, and being called a revenue collector.

Sounds underpaid to me.

extremely underpaid and unappreciated. and that’s why i got out of that line of work.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
2,100/yr USD for both my wife and I combined on auto and home. It also includes her life insurance (I get better coverage through work). I don’t think either of us have any tickets or accidents on our records.

Oh, forgot vehicle type: Wife has 2014 Hyudai Tucson. I've got 2013 Hyundai Elantra.
I’ll sell you my 2013 Elantra with 37k miles. :)

Nevermind. Now it does have an accident. Haha. Damnit! I was just sitting there waiting to turn left. Some kid turned out in front of a lady and got crushed so bad that her car flew into mine. Nobody seems hurt. Their cars are both totaled. I was going to sell that 2013 w/ 38k mi and zero accidents in June. Gotta guess the accident will hurt the value, right? That’s a bummer.

Anyone ever drive a Genesis G80? I’m thinking of buying my father-in-law’s from him in January. It’s a 2017. It has very few miles and is well taken care of. So I like the idea of buying it from him, even though it’s outside my budget.

I’m tired of having a tiny car and being 6’1 200lbs. I’d like a car I can drive forever. I take good care of my cars and I don’t put miles on them. I thought getting a very big, very nice sedan would keep me happy for the next decade as far as cars go. Any thoughts on this strategy?

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Nevermind. Now it does have an accident. Haha. Damnit! I was just sitting there waiting to turn left. Some kid turned out in front of a lady and got crushed so bad that her car flew into mine. Nobody seems hurt. Their cars are both totaled. I was going to sell that 2013 w/ 38k mi and zero accidents in June. Gotta guess the accident will hurt the value, right? That’s a bummer.

Anyone ever drive a Genesis G80? I’m thinking of buying my father-in-law’s from him in January. It’s a 2017. It has very few miles and is well taken care of. So I like the idea of buying it from him, even though it’s outside my budget.

I’m tired of having a tiny car and being 6’1 200lbs. I’d like a car I can drive forever. I take good care of my cars and I don’t put miles on them. I thought getting a very big, very nice sedan would keep me happy for the next decade as far as cars go. Any thoughts on this strategy?

yes, that will hurt the value of your car. and now you have a not at fault accident that’s going to be on your clue report. hopefully your insurance won’t go up.

i would personally stay away from a genesis simply because they are super new. who knows how long they will last before major repairs have to be done.

to meet your criteria, just get a camry. nobody can touch reliability of toyotas. being a claims adjuster i work with mechanics and all types of vehicles all day long. i laughed when someone else mentioned nissans. oh boy what a mess. toyota uses far superior transmissions (aisin) vs other companies (jatco), and they have far fewer electronic issues, etc.

Last edited:

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Well, first responders are basically the same as gas station clerks, sooo...

oh absolutely. they do nothing to keep citizens safe. it’s not like they protect more lives directly than military.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017

yeah when i went through post (peace officer standards and training), day one we were told to specifically look for black people. and if they weren’t doing anything wrong, we were supposed to make stuff up. yeah......

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

What a shitty situation, luckily you caught it on camera and luckily it was only over a minor traffic infraction. Unfortunately I think this happens on more frequently than many would like to acknowledge.

Much of what you describe is profiling. Yes, blacks are more likely to be stopped, but so are men over women and young over old.

Does it make it right? No. Cops should not be inventing reasons to stop cars, but profiling in general is good police work. It must be applied correctly.

I've been profiled and stopped when there was no reason to do so, and I'm Caucasian.
Profiling is one thing but sounds like the cop in Bonsai's scenario was going on a fishing trip.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Yeah. I saw that. Is that a different band? Thought Falco sang the English version.

That song has a strange history, for a pop song. Falco sang the original, German version. Big hit all over Europe, except UK. English band covers song with English lyrics, releases the single, it does nothing. Band breaks up. Months later English version is a hit in North America. Record label begs band to get back together, they refuse. One hit wonder. Falco's version gets little airplay in US ("hey that's that song, but in German, and not as loud").... Falco has the last laugh 3 years later with "Rock Me Amadeus"

Reactions: MIG

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What a ****ty situation, luckily you caught it on camera and luckily it was only over a minor traffic infraction. Unfortunately I think this happens on more frequently than many would like to acknowledge.

Profiling is one thing but sounds like the cop in Bonsai's scenario was going on a fishing trip.
yeah when i went through post (peace officer standards and training), day one we were told to specifically look for black people. and if they weren’t doing anything wrong, we were supposed to make stuff up. yeah......
Dude, there's more than enough evidence in the public arena to prove that people of color are treated more harshly by police than those who are white. This has been noted by the courts. It isn't the official training that you went through that's inherently racist, its the unofficial training a cop gets and the ability to act out on personal biases that comes with the badge. Most cops aren't bad, but enough are to make the problem endemic in this country.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

VW Passat? Bit of an old man car but it's a "roomier" sedan and VWs last forever.

Edit: Plus if you search around a little you may be able to find a VW diesel. They don't make them anymore after they got busted but they're a nice bonus if you can find one.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
VW Passat? Bit of an old man car but it's a "roomier" sedan and VWs last forever.

Edit: Plus if you search around a little you may be able to find a VW diesel. They don't make them anymore after they got busted but they're a nice bonus if you can find one.
The V6 edition looks pretty sharp. Would be nice if it was rear-wheel-drive. I’m 34 but everyone who knows me believes I act like I’m 64. Old man cars suit me just fine.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

If you want it to last, stick with Toyota and Honda. I'd love to say an American car but in my 7 years in the auto maintenance/tire business, Toyotas and Hondas consistently have more mileage and less maintenance/repairs. You can go Lexus/Acura if you want the higher end version but all the parts are double or triple the price and too similar to me to justify the higher cost. The new Hyundais/Kias have really good warranties but not enough history to know how reliable they are. The older ones are poor quality.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Anyone have a Dyson fan? Wanting to buy one cuz it looks dope, but I keep looking at that price tag. Imagine all the hookers and blow you can buy with that kinda money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad