Confirmed with Link: [ARI/WPG] Coyotes acquire Nathan Smith plus Brian Little (LTIR) for 2022 4th rd pick.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I feel like 86 pts /15 gms could be a typo. Did he really put up 5.7 pts/gm and then slide backwards to JUST 3.4 pts/gm the next season on the same team?

Isn't this kinda common in college? You lose your superstar upper classman linemate, or guys graduate ahead of you and suddenly you're getting tougher matchups and the team generally gets worse?

I know nothing about Florida HS hockey, but there's a Lucas Sowder on the team who had 122 points when Smith had 86. Sowder graduated and went and played BCHL / NCAA, and Smith's numbers declined without him.

Any time you're playing HS hockey in the south, there are going to be weak teams, so I'd bet this isn't 5.7/game ... it's a couple games where he got 15, then a bunch of games where he got 2.

Reactions: lanky

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Looking forward to the Smith signing. Hopefully, after the frozen four next week, and he'll play in the last 10 games of the season. Still don't know where he will fit in for next season, if he is just a checking line RW or if he could possibly hold his own centering Schmaltz and Keller or even replace Schmaltz if a Schmaltz trade occurs.
I see a 3RW as a perfect spot.

Keller-Boyd-Schmaltz
Crouse-Hayton-Guenther
Ritchie-FA/Trade-Smith
Macelli-McBain/Jenik-O'Brien/Ladd/Fischer
McCartney

This assumes anyone drafted this offseason doesn't make the Coyote roster next year.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon

Found it.

20 January, 20-0 Win against Wharton, he had 3 G, 4 A in the first period alone, even while taking an interference penalty
22 Jan, 19-0 win against Berkley, 5 G, 5 A
19 Oct, 19-0 win against Berkley, 3 G 3 A
5 Feb, 16-2 win against River Ridge, 6 G, 2A

Florida HS hockey looks insane.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I see a Bunting type player......with a better shot. He has no problem going to greasy places and seems to score most of his goals within 10 feet.
Yeah, now that I've seen him play, I didn't get any kind of "hot-head" vibe from him. I did notice he seems incredibly focused/intense and when sitting on the bench appeared to have some kind of nervous twitch. Looks like one of those who lives/breathes/dies hockey. The type I want on my team!

Reactions: AZviaNJ and ck26

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Smith is back on the ice on 7 April. Here's one analyst's assessment of Smith after Regionals:

"Watch out for Smith's wrister. Nathan Smith, who scored the lone goal in the regional final, has as good a wrist shot as anyone in the nation, he's got an NHL release and he's accurate. It's amazing how the majority of his goals come with the puck on his stick for less than a second."

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Found it.

20 January, 20-0 Win against Wharton, he had 3 G, 4 A in the first period alone, even while taking an interference penalty
22 Jan, 19-0 win against Berkley, 5 G, 5 A
19 Oct, 19-0 win against Berkley, 3 G 3 A
5 Feb, 16-2 win against River Ridge, 6 G, 2A

Florida HS hockey looks insane.
If only I'd waited 20 years to be born in order to take part in it :)

Also, you get my nomination for Sleuth of the Week for this.

Shehatesme22

Jun 25, 2018
Isn't this kinda common in college? You lose your superstar upper classman linemate, or guys graduate ahead of you and suddenly you're getting tougher matchups and the team generally gets worse?

I know nothing about Florida HS hockey, but there's a Lucas Sowder on the team who had 122 points when Smith had 86. Sowder graduated and went and played BCHL / NCAA, and Smith's numbers declined without him.

Any time you're playing HS hockey in the south, there are going to be weak teams, so I'd bet this isn't 5.7/game ... it's a couple games where he got 15, then a bunch of games where he got 2.
Lucas and Nate are like best friends. played roller and high school hockey together and i do believe they played together after high school I think with Cedar Rapids? As for Florida High school hockey it sucks thats what got him in a little trouble with the Tampa Bay Lightning.. He was in talks with the lightning about them drafting him but in an interview from a local TV station Nate mention that if you want to get recognized as a hockey player you have to get out of Florida. Although he was correct the Lightning that pour millions into Florida High School Hockey didnt take a liking to what he said. The Lightning were supposed to pick him in the 3rd round (the pick before the Jets)

Last edited:
Reactions: ck26

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Denver v Michigan is on ESPN2 @ 2PM AZ Time

Unfortunately, the Nate Smith game (Minn State v Minn) is on ESPNU. I don't get ESPNU 😢. 5:30 start if you do.

Reactions: Heldig

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Denver v Michigan is on ESPN2 @ 2PM AZ Time

Unfortunately, the Nate Smith game (Minn State v Minn) is on ESPNU. I don't get ESPNU 😢. 5:30 start if you do.
Fubo, Hulu Live, YouTube TV, and Sling with the sports package have ESPNU. If you want to watch that game, most of those services offer like a 7-day trial. You could sign up, watch the game, then cancel it afterward and not have to pay anything. (If you want to go through the trouble, that is.)

Reactions: MIGs Dog

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
My opinions between Mcbain and Smith have done a 180 since those trades went down. I think I'm way more excited for Smith now.

Reactions: ck26

IrishFin

Jun 9, 2016
It's so refreshing having a GM competent enough to make the McBain and Smith deals happen. Even though we traded for their rights, it's amazing they are actually signing even with the arena uncertainty. I wonder how much of an extra sell getting to play for Tourigny is to them since he is a coach who enjoys developing young players.

Reactions: ck26 and Grimes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad