Confirmed Trade: [ARI/PIT] Phil Kessel, Dane Birks, and 2021 4th for Pierre-Olivier Joseph and Alex Galchenyuk

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
This a great trade for the Yotes!

Kessel is still a top end offensive game changer which is exactly what the Yotes needed. They didn't give up much in value.

Very importantly to the Yotes Kessel also is owed less than his cap hit and 15% of that is paid for by the Leafs. In total the Yotes will be paying 16.15M for 3 seasons of Kessel which is a great deal.

Reactions: Pengwins

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Galchenyuk has a lot of the same warts as Kessel while not being nearly as impactful. I can't see that boding well for his relationship with Sullivan. Odd swap IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: SniperHF

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Galchenyuk has a lot of the same warts as Kessek while not being nearly as impactful. I can't see that boding well for his relationship with Sullivan. Odd swap IMO.

Which is why all these posts degrading Phil's shortcomings dont make a lick of sense. They're very similar players - except Kessel is obviously much better. And the cap savings likely dont come close to making up the skill gap

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Makes me question their competency as coaches.

When a player was on a ppg pace playing with certain players and your team is starved for offense, you don't take the player off that line and keep him off to appease certain players. Your job as a coach is figure out the optimal use of a player and put him in a position that helps him and your team succeed.

Galchenyuk has holes in his game, he's not the best defensively but at no point during his time in Montreal was he given a chance to learn from his mistakes. It was one mistake and he gets booted to the 4th line or benched, meanwhile guys like Desharnais can do no wrong.

Give him a coach that knows how to coach, a chance to build confidence that he won't get jerked around and punished if he makes a mistake and you'll see a very different Galchenyuk.

Oh please, he was given plenty of chances. He just never had the hockey sense to play center and doesn't have the foot speed to match the set of mits. He has more than holes in his game, he's a constant defensive liability. How many coaches now have clearly seen by now this yet this narrative still persists?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
AZ weather for 9 months out of the year is gorgeous. Those 9 months more or less align with hockey season. Tons of former players (and cold weather natives in general) end up living here some or all of the time.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
I like this for the Yotes a lot. So sad the Avs couldn’t land the Thrill.

He’s a PPG player on a damn good contract. 2 time Stanley cup champ, now gets to enjoy the rest of his career in AZ. Phil the Thrill baby.

Reactions: che

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
AZ weather for 9 months out of the year is gorgeous. Those 9 months more or less align with hockey season. Tons of former players (and cold weather natives in general) end up living here some or all of the time.

Out of curiosity what's the weather like for the other 3 months? I just always assumed the weather there didn't fluctuate much.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Galchenyuk < Kessel

Not sure how people are chalking this up as a win for Pitts. Coyotes did well here.
I personally love the deal for Pitt. Considering it also has a recent 1st rounder defense prospect coming our way too, which is huge for us.

Also consider, Kessel is the better player at the moment but this last season he just looked disinterested and unhappy in Pitt. I would rather have Gally than a Kessel who doesn’t want to play for us.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Out of curiosity what's the weather like for the other 3 months? I just always assumed the weather there didn't fluctuate much.

115° plus. Pretty sure you are thinking of cold when he’s talking about extreme heat that you can’t be outside for 5 minutes at a time.

It’s unlivable sometimes. I’m there for work some and when I get pulled down there in the summer months I go home and want to cry.

Reactions: Jigger77

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Galchenyuk might be my pick for most overrated player in the league after reading this thread.

Arizona is about to have an offensive threat for the first time in franchise history. Maybe that will put butts in the seats.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Yotes cleaned this one up. I'd take Kessel for Gally all day and 3x on Sunday. Kid could never figure the game out at a high level in the NHL. Phil is going to be a great leader in ARI. I just love all the shit talk about Kessel. Everyone calls him fat and out of shape but the guy doesnt get hurt, can move pretty quick for "a fat guy" and is around a ppg guy who puts up goals. I'd like to see any poster on this site that talks about if he is in shape go on the ice and play 1/2 of his production for a game and show me just how out of shape he is compared to your Greek god physique.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Oh please, he was given plenty of chances. He just never had the hockey sense to play center and doesn't have the foot speed to match the set of mits. He has more than holes in his game, he's a constant defensive liability. How many coaches now have clearly seen by now this yet this narrative still persists?
Oh please, he never got plenty of anything except criticism. How many games did DD and Patches go without a point before they were broken up? The record for Galchenyuk was 2 games I think. Never had the hockey sense to play center except when he went on a ppg pace, before getting injured.

Where is your beloved #1 center now? Not even in the NHL anymore. Galchenyuk with all his faults us still a 50-60 point player on a bad team.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Galchenyuk < Kessel

Not sure how people are chalking this up as a win for Pitts. Coyotes did well here.

Look at how valuable cap space has become for teams this off-season. I think Pittsburgh got a pretty good return when you compare it to the Subban return for Nashville.

They get a guy that they can either re-sign to a cheaper deal than Phil if he works out or use that space to sign someone (they should be attractive as you get to play with Malkin) so they have a much better cap situation going forward than they would have with Phil.

Also, sure Phil was a PPG guy in Pittsburgh but with his age, body type, work ethic is it likely he was going to remain that way for much longer? I think it is worth it to move on from him sooner than later and it didn't seem like it was going to be easy to move him out.

I like the deal for both teams, Pittsburgh gets much better cap flexibility and a player that can replace Phil in the top 6 even if he doesn't replace his production. They also get a decent prospect which they are missing in their organization.

Its worth it for Arizona that Phil can keep up his production as they have a few good, not many great offensive guys on their team and he likely is more important to them than on the Pens who have Crosby and Malking stirring the drink offensively. Plus they don't have the salary cap concerns Pitt does so the 8 million doesn't hamstring them like it does the Pens.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yotes fans, what has Joseph's development curve looked like? I'm only stat watching here, so I was curious from those who follow him more closely whether he's stagnated or not. His point totals didn't seem to jump from his 3rd to his 4th junior season.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yotes fans, what has Joseph's development curve looked like? I'm only stat watching here, so I was curious from those who follow him more closely whether he's stagnated or not. His point totals didn't seem to jump from his 3rd to his 4th junior season.
We are 2 years since his draft and he still weighs 165 lbs. how tough is he going to be to establish net front presence against when he’s not playing against 16 and 17 year olds every night?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad