Confirmed Trade: [ARI/PIT] Phil Kessel, Dane Birks, and 2021 4th for Pierre-Olivier Joseph and Alex Galchenyuk

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
The weather four months out of the year is disgusting (I live on the Westside of Los Angeles, and I would never consider living in the San Fernando Valley let alone the Valley of the Sun), and the nightlife is barely existent. I have been in Downtown Phoenix in November, right by Chase Field. Not a damn thing going on, and almost no one out walking the street. And the areas with bars either are for 50-year-old former-bros looking to cheat on their wives (Scottsdale), or college-age/recently graduated kids with the same Top 40 or country playing all the time (Tempe). Philadelphia has the exact same number of people and is a million times more fun and interesting. And much nicer buildings, too. Most man-made edifices in Phoenix are hideous.

God you're so full of shit. Nothing to do in Scottsdale or Tempe? Okay there bud.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
God you're so full of ****. Nothing to do in Scottsdale or Tempe? Okay there bud.

They're pretty boring, man. Maybe not compared to, say, Jasper, AL (where I also have visited), but come on. To be honest, there might as much going on in Pittsburgh, which has less than half as many people in the metro and like one-fifth in the city proper.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I was born and raised in Phoenix. I still live in Phoenix. It’s a resort town. I don’t love resort towns. I’d prefer not to live in a resort town. I’m sure that, like you, I’d prefer Philadelphia (though I’ve never been there). I also don’t like the heat. I’m not big on Phoenix.

A lot of people seem to love it. People move to Phoenix in droves. Pro athletes seem to love it too. So many seem like to retire in Phoenix. Make their lives in Phoenix after the age of 35 or 40 (which is a funny retirement age). So I guess there’s something to it.

I guess for millionaire hockey players it’s because they usually like to golf. They also usually maintain a second him in Canada or Minnesota or wherever. They like to spend hockey season in Arizona and the summer “back home”. Nightlife probably doesn’t factor in too much, I would think. They probably like that they can have a second home for a reasonable price with a low cost of livening, all-winter golfing and some other appealing factors.

It’s different when you’re rich. You and I get to choose one place to live. And that place has to factor in a budget. I think any NHL city would be a great place to be a rich person. For whatever reason, Phoenix/Scottsdale seems to be pretty popular among rich people with a ton of free time. I can’t really explain it, but it’s common enough to accept and not be baffled by.

Also, I bet you would enjoy Philadelphia. Same amount of people as Phoenix (even more when you take into account MSA), but 1/3rd the size, easy to get around, lots to do, amazing food and bars, good music scene, beautiful architecture and public art. The negatives are schizophrenic weather, rough ghettoes, massive drug-and-alcohol culture, and poor city government/public services. That pretty much is it, though. It's really, really fun.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don't get it... Arizona gets a PPG winger who can drive a line for a 50 point guy at best and a lottery ticket. Why are people acting like this? Great deal for Arizona.

Kessel can drive a line? Is it 2016 again? Kessel has been pulling a James Neal for a while, he gets worse but his stats go up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad