Confirmed Trade: [ARI/PHI] Shayne Gostisbehere, 2022 2nd, 2022 7th (STL) for future considerations

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Ghost was a guy I saw blooming again once he got out of Philly and I said that since his name came up for expansion.
Once the flyers acquired Ellis there wasn't room for two small offensive d in the top 4. Nevermind that he had his best year on the top pairing with provorov. Injuries played their part and the cap as well but as time goes on this deal that looked bad over the summer will only get worse

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Only fair to mention Ristolainen showing last night why Fletcher was willing to pay and alienate a large portion of the Flyers fanbase to accommodate his desire to replace a high paid offensive dman with a high paid big bruising defensive dman.

And I'm not mentioning this because he had an assist.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The trouble is they got 35 year old Keith Yandle in to take Ghost's role on the PP, and after a promising start his legs fell off after the first 5 games. Not only does he look super slow, he's falling over as well. I would not be surprised if he's playing thru an injury just to keep his dumb streak going.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think it was 2018 or something, Arizona exploded with toung talent as Max Domi, Keller, Fischer and Dvorak. They had multiple forward talwnt, with Chuchryn and OEL on the back end, whilst aquired Kessel. Something is really really off in the desert with wasting potential.

I still belive Domi, Fischer, Dvorak, Keller is rrally good talent, but this shows ghat not every team can draft themselfs out of misery.

Arizona had it all, and they blow it up. Why??

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think it was 2018 or something, Arizona exploded with toung talent as Max Domi, Keller, Fischer and Dvorak. They had multiple forward talwnt, with Chuchryn and OEL on the back end, whilst aquired Kessel. Something is really really off in the desert with wasting potential.

I still belive Domi, Fischer, Dvorak, Keller is rrally good talent, but this shows ghat not every team can draft themselfs out of misery.

John Chayka happened.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He isnt the answer to that, he left because he probably saw something bad. HE actually drafted those guys

Chayka was hired as GM one month before the 2016 Draft where Keller and Chychruyn were drafted. Safe to say those picks were made on the advice of the scouting department. He then proceeded to completely botch the next 3 drafts, then lose a 1st round pick due to tampering.

Last edited:

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Chayka was hired one month before the 2016 Draft where Keller and Chychruyn were drafted. Safe to say those picks were made on the advice of the scouting department with little input from Chayka. He then proceeded to completely botch the next 3 drafts, then lose a 1st round pick due to tampering.
Maloney let Chayka take over the draft on the 2nd day in 2015 (where Fischer was his 1st pick and Chayka wanted Fischer over Merkley on the 1st day).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Maloney let Chayka take over the draft on the 2nd day in 2015 (where Fischer was his 1st pick and Chayka wanted Fischer over Merkley on the 1st day).

Interesting. Any source for this?

Also doesn't excuse the 2017, 2018, and 2019 Drafts.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Bad management and poor ownership.

Here's hoping they finally have good ownership ($) and good management.

Covid is messing with the $ part early on.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The answer is they didn’t have it all. Chayka acted as if the team was on the cusp of playoff success when they weren’t. Domi wanted out. Fischer is a bottom 6 forward with fringe 2nd line potential maybe. Dvorak is a #2/#3 center. Keller is a top 6 forward.

Perhaps the simplest summation answer is the team never had a true #1 center.

Chayka burned the 2017 and 2020 first round picks on short term trades. Lost the 2021 first for the testing violation.

The team wasn’t on the verge of success when Chayka left and the prospect cupboard was well below league average.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Guy has been apart of more than 50% of Arizona’s goals. The incompetence of NHL GM’s on this one is crazy.
Yep. He is the poster boy for the entire "offensive defensemen have no value" narrative that goes around, so much so that he's the example people can point to of a guy who a team paid to get rid of despite the talent. And then he goes and makes that team look like fools for getting rid of him.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The NHL is not a meritocracy. There are people in charge who are abject morons.

Let’s not pretend like fans are any better either. On HF there’s been countless times where Ghost has had to be defended on the main board due to thoughtless stereotyping and being buried by a bad organization.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Yep. He is the poster boy for the entire "offensive defensemen have no value" narrative that goes around, so much so that he's the example people can point to of a guy who a team paid to get rid of despite the talent. And then he goes and makes that team look like fools for getting rid of him.
I assume you are trying to somehow assign the success that Gostisbehere has had to Barrie?
Are you saying that if he got away from the Oilers he would become a really good dman? :D

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
This has been such a brilliant piece of business for the Yotes. He'll get at least a 2nd when traded so they'll have gained the equivalent of a 1st round pick for absolutely no cost (bar salary for 1 year)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad