Confirmed Trade: [ARI/NYR] Patrick Nemeth, 2025 2nd, c. 2026 2nd/2024 3rd for Ty Emberson

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I feel like the Coyotes should have billboards on major highways in NHL cities like lawyers/law firms do.

"Signed a terrible contract?, we'll bail you out! Call Mr. Armstrong..."
Bill Armstrong just stuffing draft picks into his cheeks like a squirrel.

2022 three 1sts, two 2nds, two 3rds
2023 WAS 3rd
2024 FLA 2nd MTL 2nd COL 3rd EDM 3rd NYR 3rd SJS 4th BOS 7th
2025 TOR 2nd EDM 2nd NYR 2nd

Do you think he might play NHL games for NYR this year?
Doubtful? Depends on injuries, etc, but Emberson isn't one of ARZ's more coveted prospects.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
@bernmeister Thinking it would only cost a 4th lol
bern's been very busy

Now that I am catching up, I will require an apology and a retraction.
This type of intentional misrepresentation is how people's reputations get slammed.
I don't have a problem if someone takes me to task on something I actually said; that is not the case here.

Famously, I accurately said that if we go by the Marleau standard, NY has to give, to get fair value, two 4ths --- AND those 4ths should be in the same year, not 1 current and another delayed compensation.

Nowhere have I represented it would be a single 4th. It would be 2 4ths or equivalent if there was a package involved.
People said a 2nd, a 2nd, nothing else.
I said they could do a 3rd and a 5th in the same yr if a pair of 4ths were not available.

Posters must be able to rely on being quoted accurately.
If I had not posted the above extensively, I could understand it being a mistake or a typo.
However, to quote John Belushi,
"but nnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo."
that is not the case here.

The actual deal involved a 2nd, yes, but a player who was a 3rd round selection went the other way. There is some loss of that player's shine since he was drafted, fair enuf, and would he go 3rd round again if redrafted? It's a moot pt b'c Rangers consider him useful and cheaper depth.

So I was right. The cost was not a full 2nd, without anything else of value to NY going the other way.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
bern's been very busy

Now that I am catching up, I will require an apology and a retraction.
This type of intentional misrepresentation is how people's reputations get slammed.
I don't have a problem if someone takes me to task on something I actually said; that is not the case here.

Famously, I accurately said that if we go by the Marleau standard, NY has to give, to get fair value, two 4ths --- AND those 4ths should be in the same year, not 1 current and another delayed compensation.

Nowhere have I represented it would be a single 4th. It would be 2 4ths or equivalent if there was a package involved.
People said a 2nd, a 2nd, nothing else.
I said they could do a 3rd and a 5th in the same yr if a pair of 4ths were not available.

Posters must be able to rely on being quoted accurately.
If I had not posted the above extensively, I could understand it being a mistake or a typo.
However, to quote John Belushi,
"but nnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo."
that is not the case here.

The actual deal involved a 2nd, yes, but a player who was a 3rd round selection went the other way. There is some loss of that player's shine since he was drafted, fair enuf, and would he go 3rd round again if redrafted? It's a moot pt b'c Rangers consider him useful and cheaper depth.

So I was right. The cost was not a full 2nd, without anything else of value to NY going the other way.

It cost two seconds.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Since this popped back up, if anyone was curious, Emberson is having a really nice season in Hartford. :laugh:

Seriously, though. He's not anything special, but he has been solid all around and looks like he has a future as a steady #6.

Reactions: Barnaby

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Rangers just taking out the trash. Having a player like Nemeth on your team will only cost you in the playoffs. Just ask Colorado 2 years ago. :laugh::laugh:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
If they don’t win they can sell some of their players and reacquire draft capital.
I don’t think they’re as well positioned for that as they were the first time around they re-tooled. They don’t have guys like McDonagh and Miller to flip, a lot of their stars are on bad contracts on the wrong side of 30.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don’t think they’re as well positioned for that as they were the first time around they re-tooled. They don’t have guys like McDonagh and Miller to flip, a lot of their stars are on bad contracts on the wrong side of 30.
they have 2 guys who are barely over 30. Fine if you wanna call Panarin a bad contract because he's "on the wrong side of 30" but not sure you can call Kreider a bad contract. Guy is still a 30-35 goal scorer.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wow! So two 2nd round picks to get rid of $2.5M!
for multiple seasons. Result of the flat cap.

Maybe the players in that Covid year should have just taken the hit. Those who are no longer in the NHL got off easy. While those who are still in the NHL and new to the NHL are the ones paying for those others who got their full bag that season and not having to repay the owners.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
they have 2 guys who are barely over 30. Fine if you wanna call Panarin a bad contract because he's "on the wrong side of 30" but not sure you can call Kreider a bad contract. Guy is still a 30-35 goal scorer.
Yeah, but if you conservatively say the Rangers window with this core is the next two years, that puts him at 33 and you don’t know how that production continues to translate. Maybe he is still a ~35 goal scorer at that point, but I don’t think that’s a typical curve in that age bracket. Certainly not in terms of trade value, I don’t think teams would be banking on that. Same for Panarin and to a lesser extent Zibanejad.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, but if you conservatively say the Rangers window with this core is the next two years, that puts him at 33 and you don’t know how that production continues to translate. Maybe he is still a ~35 goal scorer at that point, but I don’t think that’s a typical curve in that age bracket. Certainly not in terms of trade value, I don’t think teams would be banking on that. Same for Panarin and to a lesser extent Zibanejad.
We won't need to do a full rebuild though in 2 years. Just some re-tooling. The team's core is very young. Kreider/Panarin will get traded.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yeah, but if you conservatively say the Rangers window with this core is the next two years, that puts him at 33 and you don’t know how that production continues to translate. Maybe he is still a ~35 goal scorer at that point, but I don’t think that’s a typical curve in that age bracket. Certainly not in terms of trade value, I don’t think teams would be banking on that.
Well you hope players they have who are in their early 20's continue to develop to make up for the decline in production if there is a decline in production. The bulk of their best players right now are not even in their mid 20's. That will be their core (if it isn't already).

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
for multiple seasons. Result of the flat cap.

Maybe the players in that Covid year should have just taken the hit. Those who are no longer in the NHL got off easy. While those who are still in the NHL and new to the NHL are the ones paying for those others who got their full bag that season and not having to repay the owners.
It seems like, during a flat cap, you can keep a team financially afloat just by doing this all day.

I guess the Rangers didn't want to trade for a change of scenery type player instead, and weren't able to bundle it into the Tarasenko trade along with whatever draft picks needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad